new chant

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
It's a shame that every new chant these days has to come from adapting one already in use by another club. When was the last time a new chant caught on that wasn't already used by anyone else? It really isn't that hard, there are literally millions of tunes that could be used that aren't already. The problem is, the oh-so-cool brigade of bellend Brighton fans will immediately discount it as 'cringeworthy' or 'tinpot'. I'm convinced that's why the Amex atmosphere has slipped so much, because of our demographic of middle class and too-cool-for-school fans. Which is a real shame.

Go on then Mozart, compose some lyrics for us to sing. Preferably written on scrolls handed out to everyone or get in touch with the club to have words put on the screens. How many of the suggested songs on here actually end up happening? A very small fraction. So does it really matter? No. Bye.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
It's a shame that every new chant these days has to come from adapting one already in use by another club. When was the last time a new chant caught on that wasn't already used by anyone else? It really isn't that hard, there are literally millions of tunes that could be used that aren't already. The problem is, the oh-so-cool brigade of bellend Brighton fans will immediately discount it as 'cringeworthy' or 'tinpot'. I'm convinced that's why the Amex atmosphere has slipped so much, because of our demographic of middle class and too-cool-for-school fans. Which is a real shame.

Might not be an original tune, but I can't think of anybody singing "We're f*cking brilliant" before we did. Not 100% sure though.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
You know you've got Ulloa up,
And now you've got Lingard be-hind,
You've got ince and Forster-Caskey in the middle
And Ka-zenga wide,
So you can be sure that now's the time,
For running the score UP!

Buck's Fizz will be turning in their graves... :rock:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Weve got jessie jessie jessie lingard in our team in our team...jessie jessie lingard jessie lingard in our team!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Go on then Mozart, compose some lyrics for us to sing. Preferably written on scrolls handed out to everyone or get in touch with the club to have words put on the screens. How many of the suggested songs on here actually end up happening? A very small fraction. So does it really matter? No. Bye.

You're missing the point. There are new songs suggested to new tunes virtually every week on NSC, and how many of them have ever got going? None, I think. Creating a new chant is easy, getting people to sing it is nigh on impossible because of the song Nazis. Which is a shame. We have to wait for another club to come up with one and then adapt it, or sing one of 147 variations of 'Sloop John B' instead.

Might not be an original tune, but I can't think of anybody singing "We're f*cking brilliant" before we did. Not 100% sure though.

Yep, I think you've got one. Or half a one anyway, as the tune is used by every club in the country.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Weve got matty matty matty matty upson in defence in defence. Matty matty upson matty upson in defence

crowborough seagull

Feb 12, 2014
crowborough
How about:

So come on Jesse Lingard
Show us what you're made of
Let's go wild wild wild
Let's go wild wild wild
I think that , that is the one for jesse lingard as it makes more sense than the Upson on did yesterday. Let's scrap the Upson one and use this, it's brilliant!:clap2::)

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
You're missing the point. There are new songs suggested to new tunes virtually every week on NSC, and how many of them have ever got going? None, I think. Creating a new chant is easy, getting people to sing it is nigh on impossible because of the song Nazis. Which is a shame.

You're contradicting yourself a bit there. Songs are being suggested and you're slagging them off yet you slag off the people that slag suggested songs off. Who cares if it's to a tune already in use by one of the hundreds of football clubs in the world....as long as it gets an atmosphere going it really shouldn't matter!

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
How about: Every time Solly gets the ball everyone just shouts:

SOLLYSOLLYSOLLYSOLLYSOLLYSOLLYSOLLY...

and keep going until we run out of breath?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun

4.gif

Our Dave takes a wonderful kick,
and fires it to Kaz,
with a delicate flick

He want's to be the one, to make it 2-1

Our girls, they wanna have fun,
Oh our girls just wanna have...

That's all we want,
Some fun!

When the working day is done,
Us girls just wanna have fun!

4.gif

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
I think that , that is the one for jesse lingard as it makes more sense than the Upson on did yesterday. Let's scrap the Upson one and use this, it's brilliant!:clap2::)

Are you on a wind-up?

There are a number of issues as I see it, and Commander is almost there.

1) Lots of people are prepared to suggest new tunes, but struggle to come up with lyrics.
2) On the whole, our fanbase is reasonably intelligent - I wouldn't go as far as saying Middle Class, but it's heading that way.
3) In the main, the people coming up with lyrics are, let's face it, a little bit dim, or very young, or both.
4) As a result, the 'dim' people suggest lyrics that are generally deemed 'shit' or 'cringey' by the masses.
5) The 'ultras' under the police box and at away games will ignore all of this and persist with their foreign stuff or their songs that don't catch on no matter what they are told (see the ditty about Kazenga being faster than a fighter jet, or their latest rehash of Sussex by the Sea)
6) The only 'new' songs started are 'safe' ones that get the nod of approval on no basis other than the fact that they are written/sung by other clubs and it's not difficult to shoe-horn the name of a player in. See Oscar Garcia/Luis Garcia, Will Buckley/Maxi Rodriguez, Leonardo/Carlos Tevez.
7) It's currently very easy to access other clubs chants via youtube. Hence this latest suggestions, which was being sung VERY loudly by FC United fans at Withdean a few years back and didn't reference Matthew bloody Upson.

The result of all of the above is that we have bugger all songs to choose from.

The solution would be for those people mentioned in group 2 to come up with something reasonably humerous/catchy which group 3 can join in with and post on youtube to all their mates for other clubs to copy, but it's easier said than done.

Apologies for any offence caused by this slightly blunt take on things, but I DO genuinely believe it to be where the problem lies.

:rave:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You're contradicting yourself a bit there. Songs are being suggested and you're slagging them off yet you slag off the people that slag suggested songs off. Who cares if it's to a tune already in use by one of the hundreds of football clubs in the world....as long as it gets an atmosphere going it really shouldn't matter!

Yes I probably am a bit, but I have been on the wine since 2pm so you'll have to excuse me, and take the somewhat skewed point I'm trying to make.

Oct 25, 2003

was mozart much of a lyricist?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Gazwag , came up with a good one which could work and would sound good.
Rick Springfield - Jessie's girl

You know I wish that I had Jesse's Girl
I wish that I had Jesse's Girl
Where can I find a woman like that

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Are you on a wind-up?

There are a number of issues as I see it, and Commander is almost there.

1) Lots of people are prepared to suggest new tunes, but struggle to come up with lyrics.
2) On the whole, our fanbase is reasonably intelligent - I wouldn't go as far as saying Middle Class, but it's heading that way.
3) In the main, the people coming up with lyrics are, let's face it, a little bit dim, or very young, or both.
4) As a result, the 'dim' people suggest lyrics that are generally deemed 'shit' or 'cringey' by the masses.
5) The 'ultras' under the police box and at away games will ignore all of this and persist with their foreign stuff or their songs that don't catch on no matter what they are told (see the ditty about Kazenga being faster than a fighter jet, or their latest rehash of Sussex by the Sea)
6) The only 'new' songs started are 'safe' ones that get the nod of approval on no basis other than the fact that they are written/sung by other clubs and it's not difficult to shoe-horn the name of a player in. See Oscar Garcia/Luis Garcia, Will Buckley/Maxi Rodriguez, Leonardo/Carlos Tevez.
7) It's currently very easy to access other clubs chants via youtube. Hence this latest suggestions, which was being sung VERY loudly by FC United fans at Withdean a few years back and didn't reference Matthew bloody Upson.

The result of all of the above is that we have bugger all songs to choose from.

The solution would be for those people mentioned in group 2 to come up with something reasonably humerous/catchy which group 3 can join in with and post on youtube to all their mates for other clubs to copy, but it's easier said than done.

Apologies for any offence caused by this slightly blunt take on things, but I DO genuinely believe it to be where the problem lies.

:rave:

Almost. Although personally, I don't see what is wrong with the Kazenga one, other than it being another bog standard rehashed Liverpool chant (Fernando Torres), and I don't really get why it's never caught on. It's no better or worse than the Leo Ulloa one. I did read on here once that is was far too complicated and there was no way anyone would ever be able to learn all the words (of the five line song, sung by virtually ever other club in the league). I think that is probably closer to the root of the problem than anything else.

I'm also not sure our fan base is reasonably intelligent. If NSC is anything to go by, or the North Stand at the Amex, they aren't.

And yes I realise I sound like an utter prick. But hey ho.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Jesse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports