Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New car

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
DPF issues should not affect you with your driving habits. I am in the trade supplying products to overcome DPF and Turbo problems/issues amongst other things and have never been asked to solve a problem with your type of mileage. It's the SAS vehicles (school and shopping) where there are many DPF issues.

Excellent thanks. I know they had improved a lot, and the car salesman said it should be OK - but he is a car salesman !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The newest models automatically clean the DPF when required, no need to do the 70mph for 20 constant minutes any more and if the cycle doesn't complete it will just be shorter until the next clean.

That is good news. Do you know which manufacturers have this update? I don't suppose it includes Alfa (Fiat) ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was looking at the fabia diesel because they do a 1.6tdi as opposed to the petrol one which is a maximum of 1.4 as far as I can see. We very occasionally tow our trailer tent so wondered if a 1.4 petrol would tow it, although it isnt very heavy.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
My father just purchased a 1.6 Nissan Note Ntech, cost was around £12k new from Nissan in Eastbourne. The car is fantastic all bells and whistles on it (sat nav, cruise control, in car phone etc) masses of room in the back & boot. The first major journey they went on was to Kidderminster to see family and said got 60MPG according to in car computer. If I was to ever replace my car I would likely choose the note.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
54 Plate Very high mileage 350k rough condition hence needing to sell it has been very good but now starting to cost money ie will need a new clutch soon and I am told probably a new fly wheel for which I have been quoted the best part of £800. So you wouldnt want to buy it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We are considering changing our car in the not too distant future at present we have a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI but want something smaller so are considering the Fabia 1.6 TDI.

Reading the reports it does an estimated 67 MPG and the annual Tax is £20 can this be right? Has anybody got one and have any views on the car good or bad.

I have a VW Passat with the same engine and got 70 mpg on 280 mile trip back home from Brighton by sticking to 65 all the way. Put your foot down however and it's closer to 55. Tax on mine is £30 but Fabia is smaller so probably less co2 so next band down.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
54 Plate Very high mileage 350k rough condition hence needing to sell it has been very good but now starting to cost money ie will need a new clutch soon and I am told probably a new fly wheel for which I have been quoted the best part of £800. So you wouldnt want to buy it.

Good luck px ing that!

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I too currently have an Octavia 1.9tdi (51 plate-85k if you're interested) which I'm looking to downgrade. Have decided that I would LOVE a Golf but would be happy with a 1.4 Fabia. I was skeptical when I first bought the Octavia but It has confirmed to me that Skoda make a seriously good car. Why Change?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Been looking at different sites and was surprised to see that a 1.6tdi Fabia approx £15k new but a 2013 with 5,000 on the clock was going at £9995 a saving of £5k virtually £1 per mile. This has made me consider not buying a new car but a demo with low mileage.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Been looking at different sites and was surprised to see that a 1.6tdi Fabia approx £15k new but a 2013 with 5,000 on the clock was going at £9995 a saving of £5k virtually £1 per mile. This has made me consider not buying a new car but a demo with low mileage.

Largely because new cars have 20% VAT and used ones don't.

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
VAT @ 20% on a new car is part of a new car list price.All second hand cars are only worth what a prospective purchaser is willing to pay, and VAT has no relevance to the second hand car market at present.It would be different if VAT was levied on second hand cars, as is the situation of second hand vans for business use.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Kia seem to be doing good deals on small cars,i know it would be a manufacturer switch but might be worth a look at what they have to offer..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here