Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] New Car - what would you choose

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I bought a Sep 2018 registered VW tiguan on PCP in Aug 2019 with 6200 on the clock, 9 1/2 grand off list price, plus lots of options I wanted on it like leather seats etc.

Just dont see any logic in buying brand new??

I thought PCP is a form of renting rather than buying as you have to give it back at the end of the term?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I thought PCP is a form of renting rather than buying as you have to give it back at the end of the term?

PCH is pure renting - you have no rights to the car at the end of the lease term.

PCP is effectively Hire Purchase with a break clause - at the end of the term, you can choose to either give the car back or pay a pre-agreed "balloon payment" to buy the car outright.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Two Polos. Four Golfs. Clarkson drives a GTI performance as his every day car (as mentioned). The Times review said "all round, this is probably the best car in the World".

Depends on what you need size wise, but I must say the Polo GTI is MINT.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
PCH is pure renting - you have no rights to the car at the end of the lease term.

PCP is effectively Hire Purchase with a break clause - at the end of the term, you can choose to either give the car back or pay a pre-agreed "balloon payment" to buy the car outright.

It's peas or beans though (as they say up North). You just get a new one every 4 (or whatever) years.

Who cares if you own it outright or not? Unless it's a vintage Porsche or something, it's only going to lose you money anyway.

It's not a house. Just enjoy driving what you want to and can afford.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm obviously the outlier here :shrug:

For the last 40+ years, I have decided what sort of car I want (Big estate, Supermini, Family Hatchback), check out any that have really poor reviews/reliability and then look for any of the rest in private sales and if I see something I like, I go and test drive it (normally end up checking out a few) and whichever I like I buy. The only thing I tend to do is get large engines on large cars because those are the ones I've tended to do longer trips in.

And even more so now than when I started as most cars these days are really are much of a muchness. Over the years I think I've had cars from most major manufacturers, particularly the long standing ones.

I don't think I've ever said I want that make/model (except when I had company cars and had to choose one). Does everyone else go looking for a specific make/model ?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I have a X ref Polo which frankly is treated worse than dirt and yet never given me a moments problem. Almost feel guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm obviously the outlier here :shrug:
Does everyone else go looking for a specific make/model ?

Yep, Alfa fanboy and I say that having had a couple of Porsches. Alfas have soul and make you smile every time you drive them. They are not the unreliable rust buckets most (who have never owned an Alfa) would have you believe. Keeps second hand prices low with the stigma they still carry from the 70s :thumbsup:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
You may get a better deal on a nearly new bigger car - when I was looking for 6-12month old jag XF / Volvo c90 / Mercedes e-class / Audi A6. (would add 5 series but if you want a lesson in how not to do sales visit bmw in Crawley) with <10k miles on clock were all cheaper than equivalent vw (Including golf) and Audi (lowest depreciation for same car). I found the gap is even bigger if they’ve just bought out a new model (Volvo xc60 was a good example a couple of years ago, 4K difference between cars with 2months age difference). You could easily be getting a £45-50k car for c£20-22k.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yep, Alfa fanboy and I say that having had a couple of Porsches. Alfas have soul and make you smile every time you drive them. They are not the unreliable rust buckets most (who have never owned an Alfa) would have you believe. Keeps second hand prices low with the stigma they still carry from the 70s :thumbsup:

Same can be said for some Subarus . .. . labelled as dull farmers wagons or boy racer rally cars, there are some hugely capable sport wagons with German build quality for the same price or less than a v***all or Ford

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Honda Civic - the last few generations have been excellent cars and are getting better all the time.

I got a 12 reg Honda Jazz 1.4 in November after my old car died. Never had a better car IMO. Huge visibility, large internal capacity, economic, smart looking, a smooth runner and, unbelievably, cheaper to insure than my old 51 reg 1ltr Nissan Micra (the old style!)

Great little runaround.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
On balance it looks like the Polo is car of choice from the list.....although someone has since recommended a Seat Leon. Anyone got any views on that?

(Thanks to all who have contributed - NSC at it's most helpful)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On balance it looks like the Polo is car of choice from the list.....although someone has since recommended a Seat Leon. Anyone got any views on that?

(Thanks to all who have contributed - NSC at it's most helpful)

Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda are basically the same car with an ascending scale car snobbery. They are all made by the same company, similar cars different badge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here