[Help] New Car - what would you choose

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
It does depend though. I looked to buy my wife a second hand Fiesta with low mileage a few years ago ( less than 1 year/ under 15k miles) but it only cost £2k ish more to buy a new Fiesta with a few add ons via Carwow..

Then you add in the fact that it IS new and there is a warranty and it seems, to the layman, a no brainer

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Golf if you can, Polo a close second.

Both great cars.

Leasing isn't as bad as people say. You're just funding the depreciation as opposed to lumping a load of cash out then taking the hit when you sell it. In the meantime you can use the money for something else, and also with the car being brand new you'll have zero major issues as it'll be under manufacturers warranty.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Then you add in the fact that it IS new and there is a warranty and it seems, to the layman, a no brainer

Unless you are putting 30-40K a year on a car, then something 4-5 years old, 30-40K with Service history would be sensible. (And be significantly less than 50% of a new one). For a Polo, I would guess 6-7K (or, as I said in my first post, maybe I'm just a cheapskate :wink:)

West Ham have got a third

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Don't know much about cars but i'd have thought the insurance to get your kids to learn on a golf would be very high. I drive an old Toyota Aygo and it's never let me down :) Suspect my next car will be an electric one but can't afford anything at the moment.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Honda Covic & Vauxhall Corsa are alternatives to the polo. All decent and reliable providing you find one that hasn't been in an accident

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My old car has just blown up so need a good value manual runaround for my own use and for my kids to learn in. Seems like there are some good PCP finance deals to be had.

Which would you go for?

Volkswagen Golf 1.5

Audi A3 Sportsback

BMW 1 Series

Mercedes A Class

Volkswagen Polo (quite a bit cheaper than the rest)

Reviews from your personal experience would be great. Thanks in advance NSC.

If you enjoy driving test drive the BMW. I am quite anti BMWs, mainly for pigeon holing drivers reasons. I hired one on holiday and loved it :shrug:

If getting from A to B is all that matters the Polo is probably the best option

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have a 1 series M sport. 118i

Really quick and very comfortable

Third one on the trot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless you are putting 30-40K a year on a car, then something 4-5 years old, 30-40K with Service history would be sensible. (And be significantly less than 50% of a new one). For a Polo, I would guess 6-7K (or, as I said in my first post, maybe I'm just a cheapskate :wink:)

No, you're just not a car snob!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, you're just not a car snob!

I normally keep our cars 3-4 years (one for me, one for Mrs Wz) and if I don't get back 50% of what I paid for them and have to pay for anything other than servicing, tyres and the occasional brake pads and discs, I am OUTRAGED !

Just as well seeing as one tyre on my mid life crisis car costs more than 4 on either of our regular cars, but definitely not a car snob :wink:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You can have my old Golf for a grand

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It does depend though. I looked to buy my wife a second hand Fiesta with low mileage a few years ago ( less than 1 year/ under 15k miles) but it only cost £2k ish more to buy a new Fiesta with a few add ons via Carwow..

One year old, and 15K miles - that's been flogged up and down the country; you're looking at the wrong sort of second hand. Four or five years old, 20K or 30K on the clock, you've got a good five years' plus usage out of it, and probably half the price of a new one. Of course, if the status of having a 19 or 69 number plate is more important to you than anything else, well, it's your money you're spending!
Buy a new one, and its value drops by a four figure sum before you've got it home.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd go with the Polo.

I learnt to drive in one in 1989, just a good honest and (for then) simple car.

I keep looking at these .. . 16BFCE70-8936-4637-A747-DA8CF34791DF.jpeg. You need to save up a few years no claims first though

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
One year old, and 15K miles - that's been flogged up and down the country; you're looking at the wrong sort of second hand. Four or five years old, 20K or 30K on the clock, you've got a good five years' plus usage out of it, and probably half the price of a new one. Of course, if the status of having a 19 or 69 number plate is more important to you than anything else, well, it's your money you're spending!
Buy a new one, and its value drops by a four figure sum before you've got it home.

There’s no right or wrong approach though, it’s just personal choice and different opinions. I do think the “ thank you” I got from my wife though for receiving a surprise new car was worth any depreciation though.....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I had a 15 year old Polo, used to get a puddle of water in the footwell. Drilled a hole through the floor, sorted.

Of, and to answer sensibly, not, under any circumstances, a Toyota Yaris Hybrid

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well if you want a car that never breaks down and always starts when you turn the key go for a Toyota, a Yaris would be perfect for a youngster to learn to drive/insure.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If your budget allows, it would silly not to at least test drive the top end cars.

BMW are known as the drivers car, but personally I would grab the Merc for the luxury feel.

Oh, and tell the kids to get their own car!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

15000 miles a year is roughly the equivalent of commuting from Worthing to Crawley 5 days a week for 48 weeks a year, not exactly big distance. Also worth noting that a car that does 15000 motorway miles is going to suffer less wear than a car doing 6000 stop-start in a town or city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports