Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Book Alert! The Hate Game: Benn, Eubank and British Boxing's Bitterest Rivalry

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was there for that one. Awesome night. As you say, Watson battered Eubank but he found the killer instinct when he needed to and noticeably held back in every fight afterwards. Built up as Gooners (Watson) v Spuds (Eubank) and kicked off outside the ring between fans of both clubs throughout the night. Then both groups saw a mob of Brighton in the north stand and piled over there for a bit more.

Eubank could have been one of the best ever but knew what he was capable of and that psychologically scarred him every time he got in the ring. Collins was great but not sure he'd have beaten Eubank Pre-Watson. Couldn't stand Benn but brave as fook. Probably the best times for British Boxing I've ever seen.

Very much this, Eubank never really punched anyone after Watson. He was quite happy to hide behind a jab and win on points. However, his fights with Benn were immense, I don't think you will see boxing like that again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Very much this, Eubank never really punched anyone after Watson. He was quite happy to hide behind a jab and win on points. However, his fights with Benn were immense, I don't think you will see boxing like that again.

His jab and pivot took him round the world though. A jab will take you round the world, a right hand will take you round the block cant remember what boxer said that but those with a strong jab will go further than just a banger.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I watched the Eubank/ Benn fights 1and 2 on you tube the other night. When you look back at them you realise how much hatred they had for each other. They meant every single punch thrown. The first fight for me was by far the most brutal of the 2. In the 7th round Eubank caught Benn with a left/right combination and how he stayed on his feet is beyond me.

2nd fight at Old Trafford was watched by 41,000 and although arguments about the result remain it's wasn't until I watched it again that convinced me the draw was the right result. Benn threw four low punches during that fight and although the ref warned him only docked him the 1 point. One judge had Eubank 2points the winner,one Benn the winner by one point and the third tied the fight. These in my opinion were the best fights by British boxers I have ever seen.
Although ITV sport isn't looked upon as the best around these days I always thought they did the Big Fight Live well and Ref Gutteridge was a great commentator for me.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Collins would never have beaten Eubank before Eubank almost killed Watson. Was never the same fighter. Watson was immense though - the best of the lot. Eubank hit him with one (un)lucky punch - Watson battered him otherwise

They were truly great days of boxing. I'll definitely be buying the book
Thoroughly agree with you about Collins. Eubank was never the same after that Watson fight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here