Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Ben White Rumour

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What’s the going rate though, especially post pandemic ?
White has looked very good at times , but with Clark as an option I don’t think the decision to turn down the Leeds money has been justified...yet. Clark Is the Albion’s forgotten man . Every time I see him he impresses.

Fair enough and you’re entitled to your opinion . I could be wrong but for me, selling Ben to Leeds for circa £25-30m would have been a calamitous decision business wise and football wise.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'll only whisper it, but for a centre back, I don't actually think White is very good in the air. /QUOTE]

I think you're right. That was also the opinion of an article on Ben White by a Liverpool scout several months ago, at the height of Leeds' pursuit of him.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
None of our players will be going for 30m+ this summer - there just isn't that kind of money about imo and laughable that Liverpool will pay any of those sort of figures.

Our problem i think will be that a "big" club will lo-ball an offer and unsettle the player (whether it's Biss, White or Lamptey). It's ok saying Bloom will only accept big offers but a player will want to move to a top 6 club and won't care that covid has reduced the fees. Then if declined then we will have a very unhappy player on our hands. It's one thing turning down £30m from Dirty Leeds but another turning down £30m from Bayern, Real Madrid, United or Chelsea.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
White has looked very good at times , but with Clark as an option I don’t think the decision to turn down the Leeds money has been justified...yet. That money could have bought a striker.

Just to add, Clark Is the Albion’s forgotten man . But Every time I see him he impresses.

Leo Østigård to come back from an impressive loan spell as well. Dendonker the younger is a CB too I believe. That's two or three next cabs off the rank if we do cash in or perhaps cash in on one or two of them instead and keep White?

We've not sold a player we believe to be key for a very long time. Stephens couldn't get to Burnley with a transfer request. Dunk has his annual "who can my agent get to spread rumours this time" contract extension. Without googling is Ulloa our last big sale of a key player?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Fair enough and you’re entitled to your opinion . I could be wrong but for me, selling Ben to Leeds for circa £25-30m would have been a calamitous decision business wise and football wise.

I did add ‘yet’ ! Don’t get me wrong , I wanted him to stay.
We are well stocked at cb though . Less so up front.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Leo Østigård to come back from an impressive loan spell as well. Dendonker the younger is a CB too I believe. That's two or three next cabs off the rank if we do cash in or perhaps cash in on one or two of them instead and keep White?

We've not sold a player we believe to be key for a very long time. Stephens couldn't get to Burnley with a transfer request. Dunk has his annual "who can my agent get to spread rumours this time" contract extension. Without googling is Ulloa our last big sale of a key player?

Yes, and at 8 million we mugged Leicester. Replacing him with a League 2 journeyman was a fecking disaster though. Those days are gone I think

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
White has looked very good at times , but with Clark as an option I don’t think the decision to turn down the Leeds money has been justified...yet. That money could have bought a striker.

Just to add, Clark Is the Albion’s forgotten man . But Every time I see him he impresses.

If we could have identified one better than we have and convinced him to join then yes.

Not a certainty though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, and at 8 million we mugged Leicester. Replacing him with a League 2 journeyman was a fecking disaster though. Those days are gone I think

I think Ulloa actually cost Leicester £11m.

But given he scored a few crucial goals, that ultimately gained them the points they needed to get over the line of their historic Premier League triumph, I doubt they feel that they were 'mugged' :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Add Roberts and van Hecke too

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Add Roberts and van Hecke too

Of course, thanks. We are well stocked at CB.

Makes me wonder, if there is going to be a big transfer out, it might be Biss with White and Moder covering the midfield shortfall that would leave. I wasn't convinced about White in midfield earlier in the season but was good there against Leeds and City. A gap created by him moving forward could easily be backfilled by the most promising of the next ones up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
None of our players will be going for 30m+ this summer - there just isn't that kind of money about imo and laughable that Liverpool will pay any of those sort of figures.

Our problem i think will be that a "big" club will lo-ball an offer and unsettle the player (whether it's Biss, White or Lamptey). It's ok saying Bloom will only accept big offers but a player will want to move to a top 6 club and won't care that covid has reduced the fees. Then if declined then we will have a very unhappy player on our hands. It's one thing turning down £30m from Dirty Leeds but another turning down £30m from Bayern, Real Madrid, United or Chelsea.

This is going to be a problem for us and a number of clubs.

We'll just have to hold the line to the player "the bid hasn't met our valuation".

I'm hoping that any players we get bids for will understand we're not going to sell for £10m when we rejected £30m last summer

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Ulloa actually cost Leicester £11m.

But given he scored a few crucial goals, that ultimately gained them the points they needed to get over the line of their historic Premier League triumph, I doubt they feel that they were 'mugged' :shrug:

Fair enough, as long as you can accept “not even a footballer” Locadia goals kept us up and he also scored the goal that got us back in the game for an FA cup semi final, so not such a waste of money as most on here suggest

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Of course, thanks. We are well stocked at CB.

Makes me wonder, if there is going to be a big transfer out, it might be Biss with White and Moder covering the midfield shortfall that would leave. I wasn't convinced about White in midfield earlier in the season but was good there against Leeds and City. A gap created by him moving forward could easily be backfilled by the most promising of the next ones up.

I agree. I think that if there is a big money transfer this summer, it will be Biss. He's further in his career than White and we have some ready-made replacements (not just White and Moder but Caicedo too)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Potter is priming us in today’s Argus, with a photo of Biss :down:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Fair enough, as long as you can accept “not even a footballer” Locadia goals kept us up and he also scored the goal that got us back in the game for an FA cup semi final, so not such a waste of money as most on here suggest

A signing, largely on potential, that didn't work out.

Nothing more, nothing less

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Roberts as well.
Take Dunk and Webster out of out set up for a long period and we would struggle, for sure.
White? I think we would be ok. Is he a key player? Not yet IMO. Not with Veltman able to cover.

As for key players we have old...yeah, Ulloa. Bridcutt, going back further. Dean Saunders was the craziest.
It will happen more in the future, Potter has acknowledged this. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Maybe this is why GP has been trying Ben in Biss’s position. Preparing for life without Biss? Just occurred to me.

Or Moder, Caidedo, Molumby (although I’m starting to wonder) Alzate, Baluta.
Take your pick.
Our succession planning is becoming top drawer and will only get better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here