[Albion] new away fan ID/ticketing system

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Because they pay a shitload of money for the privilege but they remain responsible for the person they give the ticket to.

I would rather a loyal fan with not enough points get the ticket, than a wealthy 1901 member who can pass a ticket to someone who may have never been to an Albion game before

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not surprised by this at all. Way, way too much loose chat around 'spare' away tickets - on here and elsewhere.

Agree people are too blasé about discussing it, but it was hardly a surprise with Liverpool, there’s a train strike and the club are very hardline with their no refunds policy, would they rather it go empty?

If you're in a lower tier then you don't always get the chance to "buy the tickets quicker", because they've already been snaffled up by the people in the higher tiers harvesting MORE "loyalty points" whilst not even going to the games. I've missed out on tickets because I'm not in one of the top tiers point-wise, its not reached my tier, and whilst there is an element of "oh well", at the same time its galling to think that some ratboy skiv is going in my place because he knows he can ponce a ticket off of a loyalty points harvester.

Not on really, is it.

I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of people who share their tickets are to other fellow Brighton fans who are just as committed or you and I. It's not what you know, it's who you know ;)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I’m confused. Are we all being ‘tarred with the same brush’ and these practices don’t actually happen or has ‘someone snitched’ on people ‘passing on to a friend’ which is exactly what the club want to stop ? Either you are involved in this so your upset is down to that or you aren’t so you have nothing to worry about. If you are involved then I would rather you didn’t buy tickets for your non qualifying friends such that away allocations sell out before they go on sale to Albion + members like myself and my family.

Three games all season will not go to My Albion + members, they’ve already been sold, so you can get tickets for any away game except Brentford, Fulham and Bournemouth. I will personally be very annoyed if after work against Brentford I’ll be told to file down to the ticket office with the six people I’ve legitimately bought tickets for and get them all in one place to start handing over their ID, like others have said it’s cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

People have got upset about Brentford going quickly (it’s the smallest allocation) when 99% of the people in the away end have got their point legitimately. Strange that it’s a safety risk for season ticket holders, but 1901 club members can sell theirs on to their guest for whatever they want. One rule for them, and one rule for us.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I would rather a loyal fan with not enough points get the ticket, than a wealthy 1901 member who can pass a ticket to someone who may have never been to an Albion game before

This! Why is it not right for season ticket holders to pass it on, but 1901 members can get it to any randomer, more made up nonsense. Like season ticket guest tickets at home game. You can’t pass a season ticket on, as it doesn’t have the name attached, but you can buy a season ticket guest ticket with your own name on but not the attendee. A lot of quoted legislation that instantly contradicts.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m curious to know why is it acceptable for a 1901 member to not have to conform to these rules and can pass them on to anyone, or have I read that wrong?

Because the rich, the well-heeled, the upper echelons of society are the 'right sort of chaps' - the demographic that will appreciate prawn sandwiches and be the sort of decent chaps the clubs wants to consider its supporters?
FFS, now it appaears PB now needs to know thew name, address, DoB, phone number, bank details and inside leg measurements of every away supporter too!

F*** that for a game of soldiers! The sooner we are back in the Championship and I can just turn up to an away match within reasonable reach for me on a day I feel well enough to go, present myself at the ticket office and ask very politelty if they'll sell me a ticket to get in (never failed in the past) the better!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Three games all season will not go to My Albion + members, they’ve already been sold, so you can get tickets for any away game except Brentford, Fulham and Bournemouth. I will personally be very annoyed if after work against Brentford I’ll be told to file down to the ticket office with the six people I’ve legitimately bought tickets for and get them all in one place to start handing over their ID, like others have said it’s cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

People have got upset about Brentford going quickly (it’s the smallest allocation) when 99% of the people in the away end have got their point legitimately. Strange that it’s a safety risk for season ticket holders, but 1901 club members can sell theirs on to their guest for whatever they want. One rule for them, and one rule for us.

I wasn’t talking about Brentford. That’s just the example the club has used and the start of the new system. Buying tickets for people in lower/no tiers has more effect than just that one game. You have a minuscule chance of some minor inconvenience at that one whereas on Saturday my family are in restricted view seats on the second to back row at Anfield because other people have gamed the system to buy better seats ahead of us. I didn’t complain about that at the time so don’t have much patience for people moaning on here they might have to do a bit of queuing before taking their good seats. I am glad the club have finally decided to do something about this issue.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Be glad Burnley were relegated. (Yes, I know, you already were.) Queueing up at Burnley's ticket office on matchday is no joke - I hope if and when we meet again, BFC tells BHA what they can do with their extra workload!

I had to go to the Burnley ticket office to pick my ticket up the first time I went there.

The key is, arrive about 5minutes late. No queue, and less time watching Burnley. Winning all round :smile:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not all 1901 members are wealthy. I would also suggest the instances where this would occur, may be a handful. I do accept your point though.

At the moment 1901 get very limited benefits despite paying significantly more and being tied into a five year term for home tickets. The benefits are unrecognisable to those that were originally sold to us.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because the rich, the well-heeled, the upper echelons of society are the 'right sort of chaps' - the demographic that will appreciate prawn sandwiches and be the sort of decent chaps the clubs wants to consider its supporters?
FFS, now it appaears PB now needs to know thew name, address, DoB, phone number, bank details and inside leg measurements of every away supporter too!

F*** that for a game of soldiers! The sooner we are back in the Championship and I can just turn up to an away match within reasonable reach for me on a day I feel well enough to go, present myself at the ticket office and ask very politelty if they'll sell me a ticket to get in (never failed in the past) the better!

As with many things in life, if you buy a premium product it comes with more benefits. You should consider this, instead of making snide comments about people who you no little about and who are, in the main, loyal and long standing supporters. And as for wishing relegation on the club……

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They only need to write the details on the tickets held for collection. The rest can go straight out in the post, no problem.

That’s not what they’ve said…..

‘Starting with our away game against Brentford in October, away tickets will have names and fan numbers written on them and some tickets will at random be retained and held for collection at away grounds with matching photo ID required for entry’

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Good, there has obviously been some funny business going on with away tickets from sections of our support. Sadly they have ruined it for others.

It will be annoying when we genuinely have someone who can't go but will just have to return to the club now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So if they check someone at the turnstiles at Brentford who has a 1901 ticket holders ticket , how will they prove it ?

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure they can.

I used a friend’s corporate named 1901 for two aways in our first PL season. The ticket was for a company rather than a person.

However, I stopped because I wanted to build up my points but, more importantly, build up my son’s who only had a ST since 2014 because of his age. After a couple of seasons doing less glamorous games (and we’re off to Wolves and looking forward to it, sadly away for City or would have gone) he’s finally T2. The reward? “Watching” Fulham behind a post and Brentford not even going to T2. Meanwhile people with no points had a better view.

100% behind the club on this one, and anyone who begged tickets openly on Twitter only has themselves to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Not all 1901 members are wealthy. I would also suggest the instances where this would occur, may be a handful. I do accept your point though.

At the moment 1901 get very limited benefits despite paying significantly more and being tied into a five year term for home tickets. The benefits are unrecognisable to those that were originally sold to us.

I do accept 1901 members do pay a lot of money and in my view are fully entitled to give their tickets to anyone they wish for HOME games, as they do in a way own that seat. But i do think it’s going too far when they are allowed to give it away for away games,I am sure this is happening at small grounds, where I expect loyal fans with top tier points have been unable to get a ticket That in my opinion is unfair and wrong

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Having visited most of the away ticket offices across the years to collect 'dupes', their accessibilty and location can vary greatly. Some are dedicated for away fans so only one or two people, some are mixed so you have to negotiate the home queue. Liverpool's away ticket office used to be under the Kop- i.e. down the other end the ground. I have never been let down, but there is always that sense of trepidation when you approach the ticket window - and then increasing when they cannot initially find the tickets!
I cannot see how the the 'home' club will want to spend extra effort in applying these enhanced 'security/fidelity' measures on Albion's behalf. There will still be the existing need to collect duplicates for non-delivered tickets and late purchases, so this new level of collection checks will need extra time and effort. Verbally giving name and postcode of the 'Lead' fan is all that is normally needed to collect all the tickets in that purchase. Now it will have to be a check of every person's ID against the ticket, and everyone will have to queue.
I suspect the the travelling Brighton stewards will somehow be playing a part in this extra checking. Also the fact that every ticket will have a name on, now prepares for the next level of scrutiny via random checks at turnstiles or inside the ground - but that would need everyone to be told bring ID. That has already happened for Covid and at Palace, so may not be far away.
The News item is confusingly worded: '..held for collection.....matching photo ID required for entry'. So is that one and the same time or different times? Also photo ID for juniors & kids?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports