Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new anti smoking ad

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Having seen the new NHS anti smoking ad, the one with a tumour growing on a cigarette while being smoked has made me realise that giving up a year ago was a sensible thing to do. Anyone who knows me will know sensible isn't a word associated with me ever.

Anyway has any decided in light of this quite frankly horrid advert took the plunge and are trying to quit the cigarettes. Or does anyone have any views with regard these kind of hard hitting adverts.

Oct 25, 2003
i'm giving up at the moment...it's really hard and i'm currently in full on "ewen mcgregor locked in a room in trainspotting" mode....

think the adverts do help, but at the end of the day all smokers surely know the health risks?

Oct 25, 2003
my current method of giving up is that i have to give my housemate a quid every time she catches me smoking, or finds evidence that i have smoked...she even purposefully leaves pouches of tobacco lying around to tempt me

i'm really tight so the prospect of giving her money is driving me on

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I'm on day 12 having kicked a 20 a day habit. First week was not too bad. Holy Christ I am in bits at the moment though. WAtford game nearly pushed me back on to the fags.

Electric cigarette helps in the car on the way to work when stuck on the M25. I've kicked the black coffee at 5am before I leave the village which helps. It's popping to The Anchor though in the village for a pint of Harveys that really screws me up. But I cant surrender beer so I need to confront the demons head on.

It hurst, it is very tough but once I start to feel p[hysically better then that will spur me on.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Must admit quite powerful AD

Good luck to all those who trying to give up, as it is not easy but the results are great.

for me giving up many years ago i went cold turkey no patched etc, just wanted that sht out my system quicker.

relied on boil sweets yes you put a little weight on but does come off again.

D

Deleted member 18477

as a non smoker it makes me want to take cigarettes out of peoples mouth and tell them they're dickheads.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Got an appointment at docs to see the stop smoking nurse on 23rd of this month. Hope I can kick it for good this time :)

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Seen the ad and glad I have never ever smoked, the greatest thing the government ever did was stop smoking inside, when I worked behind the bars and rude twats blow their smoke in your direction, f*** me was annoying!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
i'm giving up at the moment...it's really hard and i'm currently in full on "ewen mcgregor locked in a room in trainspotting" mode....

think the adverts do help, but at the end of the day all smokers surely know the health risks?

Good luck in giving up. Be strong.

Years ago I had acupuncture to help me give up smoking; it worked for me. Good luck.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
7 Months Cold Turkey now.
(Gave up at Amex Fatboy gig 01/06/12)

Still really miss it when I've had a drink, but old age is hard enough as it is, without breathing issues.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
as a non smoker it makes me want to take cigarettes out of peoples mouth and tell them they're dickheads.

Given current trends I suspect in a couple of years time you will get your chance. By this time smokers should have to wear little badges identifying themselves as dickheads and live in smoking communities cut off from the superhumans. No NHS cancer treatment for them either................they'll just be shipped off to the ovens.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

My thoughts entirely. A revolting advert, but it is meant to be.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Best ad I've seen for quitting. It puts hard facts in there too. Not just "smoking is bad" or "smokng harms kids" - because that doesn't work IMO.
"15 fags a day will change cells in your body" is something tangible, people get it. And that horribly realistic tumor emphasises the point.

I've been trying to get my other half to stop for 2 years now with no real luck. She smokes 10-12 a day. This has made her really think...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Best ad I've seen for quitting. It puts hard facts in there too. Not just "smoking is bad" or "smokng harms kids" - because that doesn't work IMO.
"15 fags a day will change cells in your body" is something tangible, people get it. And that horribly realistic tumor emphasises the point.

I've been trying to get my other half to stop for 2 years now with no real luck. She smokes 10-12 a day. This has made her really think...

Very good post. Did some work a few years back on advertising and you are bang on. An interesting example. Some time ago the Government tried to lower deaths from sniffing glue and other solvents. Their first campaign which was posters saying that it "can be fatal" had no effect. They worked with some kids to try and find what would deter them and many said they didn't even know what fatal meant and those that did said it wouldn't deter them. They then tried "You can die". Kids said that that wasn't powerful enough to persuade them. So then someone said try "Can kill you instantly", which is true. The kids said they hadn't realised that. They ran with it and the number of deaths was reduced. Just goes to show how important advertising is in reducing health problems and important to get right.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
It's working for me so far - the more graphic the better. I only really smoked when I had a drink but have done that over a good number of years but this ad hit something within me that previous ones didn't. The cell mutation fact really opened my eyes.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
5 years without a toke for me. Older smokers know the risk so I can't see how an advertising campaign will help. It's basically a case of use all your willpower or be dangerously unhealthy. Luckily I had enough willpower. I don't miss it at all.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for all your replies and good luck to all those trying to give up. Hang In there it does get easier.

Kempo

Nov 3, 2012
Having seen the new NHS anti smoking ad, the one with a tumour growing on a cigarette while being smoked has made me realise that giving up a year ago was a sensible thing to do. Anyone who knows me will know sensible isn't a word associated with me ever.

Anyway has any decided in light of this quite frankly horrid advert took the plunge and are trying to quit the cigarettes. Or does anyone have any views with regard these kind of hard hitting adverts.

If you're struggling to stop try this one, it worked for me. Go on holiday with your family, get really drunk, stand on a chair, hold up a ciggi and announce to the world that "this is the last cigarette you will ever smoke in your entire life" in a very slurred, pissed ex-footballer fashion. Everyone will laugh at you and tell you you're talking bollocks (some of them even ran a book on me failing with some unflattering odds) but after initially regretting every word the next day my own pride and desire drove me on. Once you've gone 1 to 3 months you'll be there and you won't actually want one. You won't struggle going up steps at the Amex and you'll find you can run again for more than 5 minutes without wheezing like an old git. A couple of years ago my Father in Law (who was on that holiday) died from a smoking related lung disorder. It was unpleasant, drawn out, highly distressing and no-one could help him. Anyway, try the '10 beers and a chair' method (just don't fall off when you're doing it).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here