Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New 7in tablet

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
At the Essa Academy in Manchester every teacher and pupil has an iPad for lessons and homework. I don't tihnk they are unique, or they won't be for long.

"Essa is a 900-pupil 11 to 16 school, taking most of its pupils from disadvantaged communities in the town. Its predecessor was deemed to be a failure by Ofsted, but it is now flourishing, after a remarkable shake-up in the way pupils are learning.

Every pupil has their own iPad, which they keep with them day and night. The gadget helps them to do their homework and gives them the opportunity to email their teachers with questions whenever they like. While some tutors set aside a specific time slot to answer pupils' queries, others will fire an answer back within 10 or 15 minutes.

Teachers have their own iPads on which they can create mini-textbooks for their subjects, which it is hoped will save the school money in the short term and eventually become a resource for others."

Apparently it's already saved £65K in photocopying bills!

BBC News - Essa Academy: Bookless school where everyone has iPad

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The Nexus 7 is an excellent quality 7" tablet and you can pick up the 16gb model for £159. A better machine than anything else in its size, it's hardly going to break the bank. For the sake of £60 why waste your time with some cheap piece of no name rubbish when this top of the range device can be yours?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Nexus 7 is an excellent quality 7" tablet and you can pick up the 16gb model for £159. A better machine than anything else in its size, it's hardly going to break the bank. For the sake of £60 why waste your time with some cheap piece of no name rubbish when this top of the range device can be yours?

I endorse this message.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Tell me where you can pick up the £159 model (except eBay) please.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Kids all got Nexus 7s for Christmas. Haven't really seen them since (the kids, I mean).

I'm kicking the Apple habit the moment my current iPhone dies. Hate iTunes, hate the quasi-religious fervour of Appleites, and most of all hate the intensely creepy Apple Store.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I noticed in the papers that there is a new 7 inch tablet being launched on 25th Jan in PC World Currys, Tesco and Argos at only £99 will this be the start of I pads etc coming down in price due to competition.

Depends on the operating system. Just because it's £99 wouldn't tempt me.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If they weren't so damn popular you'd be able to get one from the Play Store. But they're currently sold out.

Google need to up their game. I'm still waiting for them to get more Nexus 4s in stock as I've been waiting to buy one for two months now.

I wonder if Google are bothering with the cheaper model at all now? The 32gb model keeps coming back in stock but the 16gb is never replenished.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because if I'm buying for a 9 year old and an 11 year old on a family budget, £120 is actually quite a lot of money. In fact it's pretty much the same again.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yes but those who were unable to order then are still waiting to be allowed to order them now as the site won't even let you get in the queue

If it's any consolation I've had mine since just after Christmas and I'm well chuffed with it. It's as good, if not better than the iphone 4s it replaced.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair point.
Naturally, my wife and I bought ourselves a Samsung Tab 2 to share for £159 (with £30 cashback to come) rather than one of the kids things. The Samsung is a lovely piece of kit and feels that bit more polished and indeed quicker (much like the Nexus I should imagine) but the Arnovas are fine for kids who I felt probably wouldn't appreciate the difference between what they have and the top end of the market.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Just a thought - how robust are these things.
I mean, when I was at school an impromutu kick-a-bout with a school bag.
Jumping on and off the school bus, the bag often took a whack
So, will these units survive the school kid abuse?

Or does insurance cover ...

And what about theft, I suppose if everyone has one, the demand is quenched, but if one were to be lost / broken, just nick yer mates ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here