New £55 million investment into The Amex?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really? We can get 26 000 people in an out in a very narrow time frame but you think that another 300 people (assuming 100% double occupancy all arriving at different times) will bring everything to a grinding halt? Or perhaps if they all run a bath at once we won't be able to water the pitch?

Struggling to understand your point of view.

I think the poster may be referring to a multistory car park on the site of stammer school , bridge car park! If the car park after construction say trebles the car parking places, the restriction of the small bridge will be a problem.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions need to be asked on the business plan for the stadium shirley. Ticket prices that the club control and 25,000 gluttons pigging out like there's no tomorrow every game, and the club still loses £8M a year? If the only answer to balance the books is to build a hotel on the site, then a cynic might suggest that it was part of the longer game plan all along.

You may well ask me about the business plan Tom but let's put that aside for one moment and go back to the day when the club admitted that any addition proposals on the site as stated in an Argus report after receiving information from Norman Baker or someone was a fabrication and it was all about the community stadium and nothing else.
The community stadium that doesn't allow a man to take his kids into the supporters club bar so that they can maximise profit.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Any Falmer residents or local dissenters from the original 'floodgates' arguments care to comment. Or maybe we'll need to read elsewhere for that.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You may well ask me about the business plan Tom but let's put that aside for one moment and go back to the day when the club admitted that any addition proposals on the site as stated in an Argus report after receiving information from Norman Baker or someone was a fabrication and it was all about the community stadium and nothing else.
The community stadium that doesn't allow a man to take his kids into the supporters club bar so that they can maximise profit.

They are fixing that with a 2nd supporters bar ( where kids are allowed ) in the East Stand coming soon apparently.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Questions I am excluded from Dick' Bar as I have my two teens in tow on matchdays, however anyone stopping post match for a pint in the lower East, will find themselves in the middle of a feral scrum of school kids hoofing around anything that can be kicked. I personally have nothing against the kids letting off steam, but I can fully understand why many adults don't want to spend their leisure time in this environment.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think the poster may be referring to a multistory car park on the site of stammer school , bridge car park! If the car park after construction say trebles the car parking places, the restriction of the small bridge will be a problem.

It's the same number of spaces as currently according to the Argus article.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I got called a tool for saying that earlier by TRHK. Careful you will have the NSC Mafia onto you!

I have no problem with Bloom investing in more infrastructure and revenue generation this is all good in the long term.

However we do seem to have taken our eye off of footballing matters and this is disappointing. It seems Gus May have had a point about hitting a ceiling, and we are now leveling out our expectations.

I'm not saying this isn't prudent but very disappointing considering how close we came last season and the crowds we get and the price we pay.

Let's hope we don't slip down a league and lose 10000 fans in the process as we will then be in big trouble. Staying as a competeive team in the championship is key as I see it to the club so let's hope adequate finance is continued to be spent on footballing matters.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Building a hotel at Falmer doesn't mean Tony Bloom has taken his mind off footballing matters.

It is another long-term revenue stream that will presumably help the club compete on a sustainable basis in an industry where other team have access to revenues that clubs like us can only dream of.

If you want Brighton to have a future in the Premier League and to attract and hold onto top players, it isn't going to happen based purely on 27,000 ticket sales and a few pies.

It's called a business plan. Some of the posters on this thread seem to think he's been raiding the transfer kitty and using the money to buy a load of bricks from Travis Perkins.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It's called a business plan. Some of the posters on this thread seem to think he's been raiding the transfer kitty and using the money to buy a load of bricks from Travis Perkins.

So you're saying that's not how building significant infrastructure works? Damn.

The Business Plan that the Albion had in place when the Community Stadium planning permission was being sought was the work of the then Board of Directors. Tony Bloom's role barely featured in those days. Now that he has taken control of everything, the Club will have a quite different Business Plan. Why does anyone imagine that Tony Bloom feels under any obligation to deliver his plans in a way that is consistent with those that were in place before he took control?

There were those opponents of the Falmer development who argued that the Club was the same entity that had sold the Goldstone and therefore the Dick Knight regime should take the blame. That argument was, obviously, ridiculous and unrealistic. To expect Tony Bloom to comply with (or even acknowledge) Dick Knight's Business Plan is equally unrealistic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Not to mention the cup final money, and the Brighton v Chelsea youth team match takings.

Oh, and the play-off money.

Blomm OUT :rant:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I have no problem with Bloom investing in more infrastructure and revenue generation this is all good in the long term.

However we do seem to have taken our eye off of footballing matters and this is disappointing. It seems Gus May have had a point about hitting a ceiling, and we are now leveling out our expectations.

I'm not saying this isn't prudent but very disappointing considering how close we came last season and the crowds we get and the price we pay.

Let's hope we don't slip down a league and lose 10000 fans in the process as we will then be in big trouble. Staying as a competeive team in the championship is key as I see it to the club so let's hope adequate finance is continued to be spent on footballing matters.

I agree to some extent, but we have to look to the future, i guess it is easier to throw cash at the 1st team and get promoted (ok we know it isn't always the case), but we need to get the infustructure in place first and develop through the youth, this will take time also, but it is happening. The problem this season so far is injuries, you can not legislate for 8 first teamers out. Loan players are always hit and miss, but we do need a striker (which we are assured is something we are urgently working on?!).

I don't really want to talk "Gus" anymore, but lets face it, he had more than his fair share of cash and should have got us promoted, he didn't and that is not Blooms fault. OK he wanted to keep on improving (so he says), but we could have been in the Prem now, but he bottled it at home to that lot!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Might have missed it, but can't see anywhere what the target demographic is for anybody wanting to stay at the Amexiplex Hotel. Two week tourists to B&H? Away fans down for the weekend? Visiting academics to the Uni? Nope , sorry, can't see anybody at all wanting to stay there when the bright lights of Brighton and the olde worlde stuff of Lewes is about ten minutes away by train.
The more you think about it, the more of a dumb idea it sounds :shrug:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Building a hotel at Falmer doesn't mean Tony Bloom has taken his mind off footballing matters.

It is another long-term revenue stream that will presumably help the club compete on a sustainable basis in an industry where other team have access to revenues that clubs like us can only dream of.

If you want Brighton to have a future in the Premier League and to attract and hold onto top players, it isn't going to happen based purely on 27,000 ticket sales and a few pies.

I totally agree that revenues from other areas are helpful and the training complex will deliver long term. However the manager we have is a big gamble and we don't seem to have recruited that well this season and have not prioritised a forward.

I can only express my concern that we may sleep walk into a struggle this season, a team with no goals in it for potentially 1/2 a season could easily find itself relegated and if you take 10000 off our gate our finances will have a massive hole in it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we lose 10,000 fans after a moderate season in this division then perhaps we don't deserve to go up anyway?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Might have missed it, but can't see anywhere what the target demographic is for anybody wanting to stay at the Amexiplex Hotel. Two week tourists to B&H? Away fans down for the weekend? Visiting academics to the Uni? Nope , sorry, can't see anybody at all wanting to stay there when the bright lights of Brighton and the olde worlde stuff of Lewes is about ten minutes away by train.
The more you think about it, the more of a dumb idea it sounds :shrug:

thats what i thought. and what do they know about Hotels, they've had enough problems with the catering.

then it occured to me that they wouldnt be dropping £55m on a whim, there must be a business case with market analysis behind it. that, or its a clever way to feed money in from an outside source :wink:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Does no-one else realise that it is precisely because we look like getting relegated and our crowds are going to plummet by 10,000 that it is sensible for the club to explore other revenue streams?

Barber and Bellotti can't come out and say so but it is obvious to me that is what is going on.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Does no-one else realise that it is precisely because we look like getting relegated and our crowds are going to plummet by 10,000 that it is sensible for the club to explore other revenue streams?

Barber and Bellotti can't come out and say so but it is obvious to me that is what is going on.

Dull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports