Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New £55 million investment into The Amex?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we already had planning permission to build a City college building in that area, would the planning permission for the hotel just consist of a change of use?
I'm not sure what to think of this development. I was one of those who shouted down Norman Baker when he said there was going to be a hotel and now I feel almost 'let down' that he was right. It's a strange feeling.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
If we already had planning permission to build a City college building in that area, would the planning permission for the hotel just consist of a change of use?
I'm not sure what to think of this development. I was one of those who shouted down Norman Baker when he said there was going to be a hotel and now I feel almost 'let down' that he was right. It's a strange feeling.

Could the new proposal still be shouted down so to speak ?

el punal

That was my reaction - Even if, people are attending a conference that requires an overnight stay, why on earth would they choose to stay so far out of the city?

Having spent a fair bit of my working life in an environment of sales meetings, conferences, team get-togethers, and recruitment interviews in various hotels up and down the country I can assure you that its facilities not scenic location that are important.

On that basis, a few favourable points should this go ahead :

1. Easy access to A27/A23. Gatwick Airport only 30 minutes away.

2. Non-problematic parking (apart from match days!).

3. Train link straight to Falmer station.

4. The availability of using the Amex's conference facilities.

5. The chance to buy souvenir items in the club shop! :D

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
And the multi-storey car park / student accommodation site fulfills a commitment by the Council and the Club that the former site of the redundant Falmer High School building would be redeveloped to maximise the financial benefit that the City Council would get from disposing of the site.

Does the application make provision for two way access to it, currently is a single way only under a very narrow bridge?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
This all sounds good in the long term as long as the board do not take their eye off the playing side of the business in the short to medium term.

It would be of little comfort to me having these wonders if we find ourselves in league 1.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Heard about this months ago via a Buckingham source but couldn't see it happening.

It seems we're at a reasonably advanced stage and would imagine the club has done its homework here.

As for overdevelopment of the site ... bloody hell. Take an aerial view of that corner of Brighton and tell me a hotel would spoil the local amenity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I want to ask this as a separate thread, but I can't help thinking that'll be more trouble than it worth:-

Bearing in mind we have no idea of Tony's wealth does this proposal have you thinking

a) Yeah I reckon I'm close enough with my estimations
ii) I think I'll add a zero or 2 to my original guess.
3) Wow plaayyyaaaaaaa, TB's sat at the big boys table.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I remember a few years ago being on a Radio Sussex show with Norman Baker and having to argue against Baker's assertions that there was going to be a hotel at the Amex....I can't recall exactly why I was on, but I think the FFA campaign wanted someone different to do some talking. I was fully briefed by Mr Samrah, and I think I managed to get the key point across!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TB could lose 8m for quite a few years before he runs out of money. He is comfortably a billionaire. This and the ground and training facilities are small fry compared to his property developments world wide. Don't ask me for any sorces im not going to give them.

Questions need to be asked on the business plan for the stadium shirley. Ticket prices that the club control and 25,000 gluttons pigging out like there's no tomorrow every game, and the club still loses £8M a year? If the only answer to balance the books is to build a hotel on the site, then a cynic might suggest that it was part of the longer game plan all along.

I would love to see Norman Baker's face right now.

Interestingly Mr Baker is scheduled to be at Brighton station tomorrow at the formal unveiling of the renovations made there. If i get the chance to speak to him i might stick in a question about this at some point and see whether he is up for giving a response.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Sounds like a ridiculous over development given the infrastructure

Really? We can get 26 000 people in an out in a very narrow time frame but you think that another 300 people (assuming 100% double occupancy all arriving at different times) will bring everything to a grinding halt? Or perhaps if they all run a bath at once we won't be able to water the pitch?

Struggling to understand your point of view.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This all sounds good in the long term as long as the board do not take their eye off the playing side of the business in the short to medium term.

It would be of little comfort to me having these wonders if we find ourselves in league 1.

I got called a tool for saying that earlier by TRHK. Careful you will have the NSC Mafia onto you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here