Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New £55 million investment into The Amex?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Best comparison we have for a Football Ground with a hotel at a seaside resort is of course Blackpool and they do quite well with that. Brighton is a big and growing destination for holidays/breaks and corporate functions, not to mention the amount of stag and hen do's the town gets - so a hotel makes perfect sense. I do seriously expect that (to fit in with the clubs green image) each person who stays at the hotel would get unlimited bus and train travel within the Brighton area for the duration of their stay - something the Greens certainly would like. I think it would be well used, especially if travel was to be included, maybe even a package in which you get match tickets too.

Looking at the picture of the hotel site, it looks like it just about fits into the B&H City Council boundary so Lewes District Council will have no say on it. Yes we have gone against what we said during the Amex planning stages - but the club and city has grown a hell of a lot since then.

The extra car-park is a given - especially as we are meant to be getting rid of Bennetts Field - though I've absolutely no idea what will actually be put there as it isnt exactly going to be turned back into fields.

I would also expect most of the money to be covered by 3rd parties, as BHAFC most probably wont run the hotel (though it probably would be Albion branded). Likewise the student accommodation could be funded by someone else, possibly a government grant.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I apologise, my perceptions were completely wrong. I've overlaid the two maps now and have realised I'm completely wrong.

amex_map.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No, look at the 14th post on this thread or in the Argus. This hotel will go where the learning facility would have gone if the school hadn't pulled out.

So the triangular strip of land next to the East Stand was going to be TellyTubbyLand ? As an aside Ordinance Survey maps are not entirely accurate as a means to protect their copyright.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm only on page 2, at the moment.
But surely someone has mentioned the irony of staying over night in Bennett's Field.

Does that not happen away?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can picture the scene:-

Martin Perry - Ok Tony I'm off, it's been a blast.
TB - Oh Martin just one last thing.
MP - (here it comes, here comes THE leaving present) what's that Tone?
TB - Can you quickly squeeze a 150 room hotel, student accommodation, night club, gym and stuff into land privately owned as well as Lewes and Brighton councils.
MP - a megalomaniac says what?
TB - Toodles, I'm off to Aus.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
You can picture the scene:-

Martin Perry - Ok Tony I'm off, it's been a blast.
TB - Oh Martin just one last thing.
MP - (here it comes, here comes THE leaving present) what's that Tone?
TB - Can you quickly squeeze a 150 room hotel, student accommodation, night club, gym and stuff into land privately owned as well as Lewes and Brighton councils.
MP - a megalomaniac says what?
TB - Toodles, I'm off to Aus.

:D :bowdown:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How are we or TB going to pay for it because as many have pointed out we are skint and in financial difficulties

Who's we?

Hardly think tb is skint

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How are we or TB going to pay for it because as many have pointed out we are skint and in financial difficulties
We're not skint, we're just not bank rolled.

There's a huge difference.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My daughter was in halls of residents two years ago and had to pay the thick end of 3 grand per annum, on that basis the income from 800 rooms would be £2.5 mil ayear, not bad money, for land now used for car parking

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

We can pay for it if it can be proven that it will pay for itself and more in the long-term.

But this (along with our protestations to the local residents when we were fighting for Falmer) is a key issue - will it pay for itself and help put Albion on a sound footing? I'd love to know that the sums have been done properly first.

I have no doubt in TB's commitment to the Albion. He is clearly BHA through and through, but I want to know more about two areas...

1. Is this financially viable and where will it leave us in 10 years time? How much revenue might it drive and what is the long-term intention when it comes to how these facilities will be marketed? What else is in the plan?

2. How can we continue to foster sustainable relationships with the local community? Yes there will be jobs, but how do we make sure we become a valued part of the community rather than just another large business interest within it.

It's clear that the political parties in the run up to an election will be falling over themselves to endorse the scheme. Politically, TB, Martin and PB have played a blinder.

Lastly, as well as commercial opportunities how about our club starts taking an active view on key issues. We should be campaigning for the rights of football fans and for ethics in football.

We've made a lot of FFP and quite rightly so. We should also...

- Offer to submit our records earlier than required and push for other clubs to do the same so that their fans can see that their important asset is being managed by its custodians safely.

- Speak out when we see clubs like Hinckley go out of business and push for the FA to investigate.

- Support fans groups by pushing for the exploration of safe standing. Even if we can not do it we should be campaigning on behalf of fans everywhere who want to see if improvements can be made to the watching experience.

- Be clear on our support for kick it out - not just putting posters up, but joining in active lobbying.

- Put more weight (and the club already do a great deal) behind AITC. It's the prime example of what we should be. It's a fantastic thing the Albion is doing.

- Campaign for more investment in grass roots football.

We should be leaders in this area.

When we nearly went to the wall the football community came to our aid. I was humbled by that, and I always wanted my club in future to fight on behalf of all fans and to speak out against injustices it sees in the game. Let's not now revert to bystanders.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Maybe its being funded from a different funding stream to the football club. Just because its located right next door to The Amex doesn't mean the finances are shared, it just integrates more business activity around one major site within Tony's empire. Wouldn't be surprised if the financial side of the hotel is kept distinctly separate from the footie side of things for business probity. Plus presumably Tony will offer the hotel for occupation by a major chain, in return for a sizeable rent and other benefits, if he hasn't already got them lined up.

Isn't Tony supposed to have a substantial property development portfolio across the world, upon which a decent chunk of his wealth is based? So I imagine developing the odd hotel here and there is routine stuff.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He soon will ,if he keeps losing 8ml a season

TB could lose 8m for quite a few years before he runs out of money. He is comfortably a billionaire. This and the ground and training facilities are small fry compared to his property developments world wide. Don't ask me for any sorces im not going to give them.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
TB could lose 8m for quite a few years before he runs out of money. He is comfortably a billionaire.

A lot of people have said this today but it simply isn't true. Ask him.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
TB could lose 8m for quite a few years before he runs out of money. He is comfortably a billionaire. This and the ground and training facilities are small fry compared to his property developments world wide. Don't ask me for any sorces im not going to give them.

.....But that the whole point ,Billionaires do not like losing 8ml !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here