New £55 million investment into The Amex?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well then we wouldn't have been able to move to the Monday would we?

There actually WAS the exact restriction on conference dates I described a while back because a good friend of mine event managed a large conference at The Amex. Dates during the football season simply cannot be guaranteed. You'd think most Thursdays would be guaranteed but what if you got in the Europa League the next season or got offered another England U19 / 21? It might not be the case if you book one at short notice but rebook dates had restrictions on them.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can't believe there are a few dissenting voices. "No longer a community club" and "sold our soul" are absolute nonsense. How is providing yet more jobs and top-quality facilities for the community proof of this? It's almost as though you believe the Albion are wicked and mischievous for wanting to make money. As far as I can see, there wasn't a long queue of people willing to pump £100m+ into a football stadium and totally regenerate a previously vacant part of our city. Tony Bloom deserves the backing of the council for putting his hand up to make such a difference. I hope he gets permission and I hope he goes on to recover his millions as a result. Meanwhile, as an ordinary pleb, I'll continue to enjoy the development of The Amex and everything that is on offer there in the years to come.

I cannot believe that I completely agree with a TCB post. Off for a sit down.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
As for it's viability, I'm surprised the two Uni's haven't built one themselves before now. A few years back I worked on an IT project at Aston Uni and part of that was a hotel build. Once the hotel was open it was always busy, I know that is much closer to the city centre but there did seem to be a high proportion of people using it and walking directly out of the door to the uni. It will no doubt be expensive, but so is every other hotel in Brighton. Most hotel use in the week goes straight on work expenses, that's why rooms in most cities are cheaper at weekends.

Secondly, I think we need a new thread just for egg on face moments about this subject. If anyone has time please could they go through some old threads and see what we can dig up, just for some juvenile amusement, I'll have a go if I get time at work. I seem to remember a few people getting slaughtered by some of NSC's inner circle when they mentioned the dreaded H word :lolol:

Lastly, as we're already building why stop at a hotel? The retail park must be fast approaching the horizon..................

Agree. Remember Black Rock?? Its called the future. If people want the past then stand outside the Astoria.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I cannot believe that I completely agree with a TCB post. Off for a sit down.

You'll be buying Take That's Greatest Hits next TRHK, "Relight my fire" will be in your head for the rest of the day now, and you WON'T be able to get rid of it.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I noticed a Danish coach in the carpark last week.Football tourism might have already begun.

Tell him to sling his hook, we have a Spanish one already

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I love the fact that numerous people bang on about how Barber is screwing the fans by raising prices etc but then when he and the club come up with other ways of making money that doesn't in my view have a negative impact on the football experience they STILL bitch and moan about it. Lets face it, clubs that want to develop, keep their best players and not make football too expensive for the general public have to find other commercial ways of making money and I for one could not be happier that we have people at our club that really understand how to make us a viable club long term. Am looking forward to the Albion reaping the benefits over the next couple of decades and watching as other clubs see us and think 'why didn't we do that?'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If this is agreed, I wonder how they will overcome the disruption on the east side of the ground whilst it's being built.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Haven't got the Argus yet but if all goes well, when do they realistically hope to start building this? Does anyone know?

They hope it will be finished before the rugby world cup if that helps.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
According to the Argus (yeah, I know), the hotel plans straddle BHCC and LDC.

I'm hoping not, but it could get messy. Again.

Based on the Ordinance Survey's online maps, it looks like the hotel site is almost entirely in Lewes, and could have nothing in BHCC's control at all.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Based on the Ordinance Survey's online maps, it looks like the hotel site is almost entirely in Lewes, and could have nothing in BHCC's control at all.

No, look at the 14th post on this thread or in the Argus. This hotel will go where the learning facility would have gone if the school hadn't pulled out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports