Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New £55 million investment into The Amex?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's disconcerting to think that the opponents of the stadium had more of a point than we realised, first about the expansion to 30,000, which was obviously already factored in, and now this.
I don't agree. This new proposal should be judged on its own merit, and if it's not good, then they shouldn't do it. They shouldn't have turned down the application for the stadium purely because we'd apply for a hotel too. And the same goes for the number of fans at the ground. We had 22,000, and it wasn't causing a problem, so we able to expand to 30k - again, that's no reason to deny the original application.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This could be Lewes DC vs. Albion round 2, but I'm not sure I'm on the same side this time. That hotel would have to be sunk very low. It's disconcerting to think that the opponents of the stadium had more of a point than we realised, first about the expansion to 30,000, which was obviously already factored in, and now this. We need to see the plans, but unless they are very much in keeping with the surroundings, I hope they get chucked out.

I don't believe that the level of opposition you imagine, will be there and whilst I fully understand the opposition to the stadium being built, opposition is going to be largely an emotional response. If you ever ignore the stewards and walk from the Swan to the stadium on match day, you will find the Village much as it has been for the past 40 years. The biggest impact is traffic on match days, a hotel will not really have any impact.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Some of you lot were born yesterday. Ever said to your missus that you were going out for a pint and turned up wrecked at Midnight? Well, this Stadium has always been like that. We only had planning permission for 25K initially (I can’t remember the exact number) but that didn’t stop room for a whacking great big tier being put on the East Stand ‘Just in case’ we got planning permission at a later date. Likewise those sizeable gaps in the corners had a suspicious look about them. It be utterly amazed if conversations from the word go were not about Hotels, concerts, even a Las Vegas style pyramid if they thought it would be in keeping with the the surrounding area. Of course this would be denied in public.

As for this ‘selling our soul’ stuff, what are you after? Liz Costa banging out cakes for the WI on a weekday? A return to the good old days of Corporate seating in a Portacabin? Gary Hart being bought for a set of tracksuits? Hinshelwood turning down Kolo Toure on loan and playing Shaun Wilkinson instead? We had 2 ex England players in our defence last year. That is a light year away from Colin Hawkins, Kevin Mcleod and Michael Mahoney Johnson – Its going to come at a price and I for one am pleased that we have a board with a plan in place to increase revenues. People moan about the lack of playing budget due to FPP – What EXACTLY do you think Bloom is doing this for because it sure as hell isn’t to start his own Travel Tavern franchise.

Lastly, a couple of times this year I’ve tried to get a hotel in Brighton on a weekend. The cheapest last time was £160 and almost everywhere was sold out. A hotel would make a fortune.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I mentioned it before but people surely remember that this hotel site was earmarked for development before by the club, and there was no outcry then. As for the Bridge development I don't think anyone will argue with that as it's less intrusive than those ugly uni homes, built to the side of the Railway station.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The proposals make sense in that they are enhancing amenities and infrastructure in the vicinity of The Amex, but not exclusively for the Amex. The immediate area is not well served by hotels and bars. The hotel will be viable because of the proximity of the Unis, and ease of access by cycle, bus and train into the City and eastbound to Lewes, so having appeal for business and tourists alike.

The availability of hotel and associated amenities next to the ground will be attractive for exiled Albion fans like myself - and for a number of away fans. It will also be a good option for early and late kick off times. A common criticism of the Amex by away fans who don't know the area is the lack of local facilities around the stadium.

I recently had to a Friday night before a Norwich v Southampton Prem game at the hotel at Carrow Road. It was very busy with Canary and Saints fans, mainly families who don't live locally but were making a weekend of their visit. Plus the hotel was geared up with a separate bar and food area designated for footie fans. It was doing great business on the night before and I guess before and after the game too. Amenities like this will tick some extra boxes for fans about whether they bother to come to the Amex and put us on a par with other Clubs.

As an investment it will also create new jobs which shouldn't be sneered at.

If it aids the long term viability of The Amex and local area, then no problem.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I think a hotel will be quite successful in that location. It will be popular for people travelling on business as it's on the A27 and less than five minutes drive to the A23. There will be a constant trickle of parents/friends wanting to visit students at the two universities. There is obviously the football trade as well as concerts and conferences etc, etc. As has been said the Mad Stad hotel does well and the hotels at Hampshire's Rose Bowl are successful, so much so that further hotel is being built.

I'd be highly surprised if this has been done on a whim. In fact they probably have an operator lined up or at least are in negotiations with one or two; most hotel projects do as you want to get the room layouts, conferencing, food and beverage and back of house designs agreed prior to submitting for planning.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Some of you lot were born yesterday. Ever said to your missus that you were going out for a pint and turned up wrecked at Midnight? Well, this Stadium has always been like that. We only had planning permission for 25K initially (I can’t remember the exact number) but that didn’t stop room for a whacking great big tier being put on the East Stand ‘Just in case’ we got planning permission at a later date. Likewise those sizeable gaps in the corners had a suspicious look about them. It be utterly amazed if conversations from the word go were not about Hotels, concerts, even a Las Vegas style pyramid if they thought it would be in keeping with the the surrounding area. Of course this would be denied in public.

As for this ‘selling our soul’ stuff, what are you after? Liz Costa banging out cakes for the WI on a weekday? A return to the good old days of Corporate seating in a Portacabin? Gary Hart being bought for a set of tracksuits? Hinshelwood turning down Kolo Toure on loan and playing Shaun Wilkinson instead? We had 2 ex England players in our defence last year. That is a light year away from Colin Hawkins, Kevin Mcleod and Michael Mahoney Johnson – Its going to come at a price and I for one am pleased that we have a board with a plan in place to increase revenues. People moan about the lack of playing budget due to FPP – What EXACTLY do you think Bloom is doing this for because it sure as hell isn’t to start his own Travel Tavern franchise.

Lastly, a couple of times this year I’ve tried to get a hotel in Brighton on a weekend. The cheapest last time was £160 and almost everywhere was sold out. A hotel would make a fortune.

Very well said - totally agree.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I noticed a Danish coach in the carpark last week.Football tourism might have already begun.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Will almost certainly have plenty of conferencing facilities with the excellent transport links to take business away from such places as the Sussex National Golf Course.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Its a business venture and I have no beef with that per se.

What concerns me is that it is a football club venture. I'd be far more comfortable if it was a Bloom & Sons venture and not associated in any way with the football club [despite the possible benefits]. Anyone who has studied or been closely involved with corporate strategy will know that successful businesses stick to their core business and outsource all the peripheral activities.

Football is our business and it would be disastrous IMHO to diversify a football club into a hotel business - the two are mutually exclusive. Sure, someone will dig out a success story, but I would prefer we did not make this a football club venture. Heck, we'll be in competition with NCP for car park management before we know it. It dilutes the focus of achieving on the football field.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I noticed a Danish coach in the carpark last week.Football tourism might have already begun.

Wasn't that Ankergren's agent begging for a new deal to keep Casper at The Amex ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the hotel is up and running before the start of the RWC my prediction of rugger fans paying £300 a time for corporate hospitality in the 1901 lounges could turn into reality.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
and bang on cue...

That was the sort of info I was searching for

The Hilton at Stadium MK does exceedingly well, and it was a very well thought through piece of business. There are hundreds of small, medium and large businesses based in and around MK who cannot afford to set up their own training complex for staff, the capital cost is just far too high to sink, so they use the training facilities either at the hotel itself, or nearby at the massive BT training centre in Kents Hill. Many MK based companies block book huge numbers of rooms at the Hilton Stadium MK, for weeks and months in advance. So there is a very high degree of certainty of at least (I would estimate) 70% occupation. Then in periods where training demand is lower (December) they switch into full-on staff party mode, which is high margin stuff.

If the people developing the BHAFC business case believe there is a similar opportunity in the Brighton conurbation, then it really is almost a no brainer. Occupancy rates are sufficiently high and consistent at MK that the avergae room rates are increasing over time, with very little need to resort to marketing spend or gimmicks.

if the hotel can put the people up, and the 'extra learning block' on the Bridge Street car park site provides the classrooms, then this is potentially very sexy business indeed. And yes, our top man has amassed a fortune through property and related deals over the years etc so i suspect he's got this one well and truly nailed down before going public on it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I noticed a Danish coach in the carpark last week.

Morten-Olsen.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Green Party are fully aware that in Brighton you should not piss off:

1. The Older People
2. The Gays
3. The Students
4. Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club

So make it a SAGA endorsed, gay friendly hotel with student accommodation and planning permission is assured.

Joking aside (although it was a senior Green who told me the above) What the Albion want they will get. Unless, of course, there is doubt amongst the rank and file supporters. Such as a few on here today.

My doubt is actually to do with the cost / benefits stacking up if we have to go through another painful and expensive planning process............

According to the Argus (yeah, I know), the hotel plans straddle BHCC and LDC.

I'm hoping not, but it could get messy. Again.

........mostly because of this.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
funny how two of your examples given have been relegated and one is empty ??

What the **** has what division they are in got to do with anything? As per my last example I wasn't keeping it exclusive to football clubs.

I've no idea how many people stay at any of the specific hotels I've mentioned but there must be a demand for them else they wouldn't exist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here