Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New £55 million investment into The Amex?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
FFS there are a few on here, that would have you believe that if you stay in the hotel, you will have to queue up for a piglets pie and get tucked in at night by a steward (some of them salivating of Hilda as I write this).

HOLIDAY INN Carrow Road
MILLENIUM Madejski Hotel Reading
DE VERE WHITES Hotel Reebok Stadium

Football clubs do not run stadium hotels and they do not have to concern themselves with occupancy rates, beyond selling the initial plan. For what it's worth, I don't believe there will be a problem here, for all of the reasons already highlighted on this thread.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My view is that it's good they are looking at alternative income streams.

The hotel site looks totally aligned in location to something that previously had planning permission (the city college building). It's a different use but looks aligned.

Bridge car park is totally aligned to the city strategy.

What is interesting is I had heard that the people that own bennets field wanted to turn it into a hotel and we wou have lost the potential to apply for an extension there. I wonder if we have come to a deal with them (we build the hotel on our land, you keep the car park and we share the income?)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
FFS there are a few on here, that would have you believe that if you stay in the hotel, you will have to queue up for a piglets pie and get tucked in at night by a steward (some of them salivating of Hilda as I write this).

HOLIDAY INN Carrow Road
MILLENIUM Madejski Hotel Reading
DE VERE WHITES Hotel Reebok Stadium

Football clubs do not run stadium hotels and they do not have to concern themselves with occupancy rates, beyond selling the initial plan. For what it's worth, I don't believe there will be a problem here, for all of the reasons already highlighted on this thread.

Or huddersfield who lease their exec boxes as hotel rooms during the week.

Would make sense to link the roundabout back to Bennets Field and provide a second entrance to the stadium. But that is on Lewes District Council land....
Land that is within Lewes District, but where the Planning Authority is the South Downs National Park Authority. And new junctions on to trunk roads also require the agreement of the Highways Agency / Secretary of State for Transport.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Land that is within Lewes District, but where the Planning Authority is the South Downs National Park Authority. And new junctions on to trunk roads also require the agreement of the Highways Agency / Secretary of State for Transport.

A curious one this one.

According to the SDNP site, The Drove (the Falmer to Woodingdean road) from the junction of the A27 as far as the junction with Village Way is outside the SDNP.

Village Way itself is inside the National Park.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Just out of interest, why would a hotel need improved road links? Unlike a football ground, all the people using it will be coming or going at different times?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
a club with a Jewish investment/ backing SELLING IT'S SOUL FOR THE £££s........... YOU TELL ME, IF IT ALL GOES TIT'S UP WILL THEY BE OFF LIKE A SHOT:shrug:
regards
DR
You got told off, you got told off!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just out of interest, why would a hotel need improved road links? Unlike a football ground, all the people using it will be coming or going at different times?

Coming maybe but most people check out at roughly the same time.

Have you never stood in queue at 8.30 wondering why so few people are on the desk?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I was referring to when the Albion were last in the top flight.

Attendances were high for one season, (although never near capacity) then fell sharply.

That is true, but attending football these days is a far more pleasant experience than it was back then. (Awaits DR link to the "Football is dying on it's feet" thread.....). But then we have yet to go through a poor period on the pitch I suppose.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have stayed at the hotel in Milton Keynes and it is very good, spacious and usually pretty well full.

There are some restrictions on match days, but they are not significant.

IF we get to the Premier League then there is a fair chance that fans of opposing clubs would stay for the weekend at the hotel, so it could be quite lucrative, especially if involving those clubs who have a significant transient fanbase, often overseas based.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
This could be Lewes DC vs. Albion round 2, but I'm not sure I'm on the same side this time. That hotel would have to be sunk very low. It's disconcerting to think that the opponents of the stadium had more of a point than we realised, first about the expansion to 30,000, which was obviously already factored in, and now this. We need to see the plans, but unless they are very much in keeping with the surroundings, I hope they get chucked out.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This could be Lewes DC vs. Albion round 2, but I'm not sure I'm on the same side this time. That hotel would have to be sunk very low. It's disconcerting to think that the opponents of the stadium had more of a point than we realised, first about the expansion to 30,000, which was obviously already factored in, and now this. We need to see the plans, but unless they are very much in keeping with the surroundings, I hope they get chucked out.

According to the Argus (yeah, I know), the hotel plans straddle BHCC and LDC.

I'm hoping not, but it could get messy. Again.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Why, out of interest?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here