Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Neil Young

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There's probably a NY thread kicking around somewhere long back, but this seems an ideal place to start a new one. Alexis Petridis has ranked 45 of his albums. I think he's got it more or less right, although a couple of points of difference:
-- I'd have Harvest much higher, probably in the top five
-- I'm not quite so convinced about Tonight's the Night and After the Gold Rush, but they'd only be a few places further down the list
One caveat: I don't know his recent output that well, which predominantly feature around the bottom of the chart:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/05/neil-young-every-album-ranked

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
TFFT. Thought it was an RIP thread :mad:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
After the Gold Rush and on the beach are my two favourites, Harvest is the only other one I actually own.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a bad ranking and the no 1 is definitely correct imo.

The only one I’d have had considerably higher is Psychedelic Pill which I think is an amazing album, given his age at the time. I think he’s at his best with Crazy Horse

I just love NY and he has so many different styles that I could rate his albums differently every day, depending on what mood I am in :shrug:

Have you got 28 mins? Of course you have we’re in lockdown

https://youtu.be/WmHljOmSw6I

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thought 2020 had just taken a turn for the worse.

Phew

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Some odd rankings, imo eg - Hawks & Doves (#28), American Stars n Bars (#21) & Harvest (#17)? And Times Fades Away at #7? Tried to like that album many times but nah.

I would have a top 11 simply as the 11 albums he released 1969-79 from Everybody Knows This is Nowhere to Hawks & Doves, the ranking changing on my mood but those 11 albums would better (best?) anyone elses straight run of 11 albums imo. The top 2 would probably be After The Goldrush and On The Beach (which I originally had on bootleg tape back in the day before it was released onto CD)

Then the second wind trio of Freedom, Ragged Glory & Harvest Moon (#12).

My first two NY albums were actually Decade and Unplugged on vinyl, both amazing as a start point.

Lucky enough to have seen him unplugged and at many festivals. True legend and a very underrated guitarist.

edit - I didn't know Homegrown had been released this year so will now be checking that out!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thought the thread was going to be about the 50th anniversary reissue of After The Gold Rush, where the cheapest price for the vinyl reisuue with a 7" single is £85+

Yes £85 for one vinyl album.

Madness.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Special guest appearance by Postman Pat

91hLVv0aMTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I've really struggled with Neil Young. Keep thinking I 'ought' to like him. Sarah Kennedy used to play him a lot. I'd hear the track she played which I'd invariably like, listen to the album and hate it. I still feel I'm missing out - can anyone recommend the album that best showcases his more 'thoughtful' songs. (but not Harvest - I hated his voice on that). Thanks.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've really struggled with Neil Young. Keep thinking I 'ought' to like him. Sarah Kennedy used to play him a lot. I'd hear the track she played which I'd invariably like, listen to the album and hate it. I still feel I'm missing out - can anyone recommend the album that best showcases his more 'thoughtful' songs. (but not Harvest - I hated his voice on that). Thanks.

Try

Comes A Time and Live Rust. If you don’t like most things on these albums I suggest you give up on NY :lolol:

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Try

Comes A Time and Live Rust. If you don’t like most things on these albums I suggest you give up on NY :lolol:

Thank you. I like Rock, country rock, country, blues etc., so I 'should' like him. I'll give them a go - fingers crossed.:lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you. I like Rock, country rock, country, blues etc., so I 'should' like him. I'll give them a go - fingers crossed.:lolol:

Fingers crossed indeed, everyone needs to like NY :smile:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

'After the Goldrush' was the gateway drug for me. My old university housemate loved the grungier stuff and used to play it around the house. I could take or leave a lot of it, but I was enchanted by the likes of 'Birds', 'Don't Let It Bring You Down', and 'Oh Lonesome Me' and that dragged me in enough to enjoy the guitar stuff more. If you hate his voice on 'Harvest', you may be better off starting with the rockier stuff though. You could try 'Ragged Glory' or perhaps the live 'Rust Never Sleeps' as a middle ground.

Typical Alex Petridis move to put 'Harvest' way down just to try to be different. Every time I read or hear him talk about music, I'm reminded of Kevin Eldon in the Lee & Herring 'Ironic Review' sketch saying 'My favourite record of the moment is Cotton Eyed Joe by Rednex. Ahh, nobody would expect me to say that!'

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
One of the great song writers, who is actually superb live as well, a rarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Am a big fan of his older stuff, like Harvest and was delighted he brought out Homegrown this year as it was written in the 70s at the time of his breakup. It’s well worth a listen for those who have Spotify whatever. Psychedelic Pill is good too. Not so keen on Storytone where he experimented with a double album.
I’ll listen to just about anything he does and like Rust Never Sleeps. Rockin in a free world - magic.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just realised that Songs For Judy is not included in the list. WTF? Bad miss! Live music from 1976 concerts, what’s not to like?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here