Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neil Maupay - has he had the credit he deserves yet?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very hit and miss. Generally has not played that well. But scoring enough and an exceptional performance on Saturday means he's in credit now.

I still think we could do with another better quality striker on the books, someone big and tall that Connelly could compliment. Would be very happy with maupay as a bench option.
Big man little man combination eh? Toshack and Keegan, Withe and Shaw - sounds a bit last century to me; I'd rather have two small fast nippy forwards running the opposition ragged like Maupay and Connolly did on Saturday. Their first start together too - very, very promising, and very exciting. Think Uncle Tony may well keep his chequebook in his pocket in January - as far as strikers are concerned anyway.
We've got Trossard to come back too. :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maupay has had just about the level of credit he deserves so far IMHO. Nobody going overboard, nor giving him a hard time. Has scored a couple but has also missed a few howlers, like the free and easy header on saturday. But no complaints here, other than maybe his daft bleached hair. It's a step up in class for the player and he's mainly doing OK. Just happy he looks hungry & useful and has denied Andone/Locadia a squad place for the season

Very much this.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m quietly very excited by Maupay, I think his movement is excellent, as is his workrate. Always shows and can see him improving with each game, especially his first touch which is sharpening up. Fine start to the season for him, plenty more goals to come.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maupay is our main striker and Potterball means club legend Glenn Murray is on the bench. I'm not surprised the praise has been muted - given Glenn's popularity - but I like what I've seen from Maupay so far and I can see him picking up goals.

Moreover, Potter is clearly happy with him - enough to feel both Locadia and Andone are expendable.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maupay is our main striker and Potterball means club legend Glenn Murray is on the bench. I'm not surprised the praise has been muted - given Glenn's popularity - but I like what I've seen from Maupay so far and I can see him picking up goals.

Moreover, Potter is clearly happy with him - enough to feel both Locadia and Andone are expendable.

I really don't think that he's had muted praise because he's Murray's replacement.

Saturday was his first really impressive home performance and he got loads of praise in the player ratings thread. Got a bit overshadowed by young Aaron though

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Did anyone else notice that when Connolly shot, Maupay was following in like he meant it, and vice versa.

Haven't seen that from a Brighton strike partnership in years and it will get us goals this season

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I really don't think that he's had muted praise because he's Murray's replacement.

Saturday was his first really impressive home performance and he got loads of praise in the player ratings thread. Got a bit overshadowed by young Aaron though

What I mean is Glenn's goals have got us promoted then kept us up 2 seasons in a row, so Maupay isn't going to get big praise until he shows he can do the same.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I thought he played as well as Connolly on Saturday. Clearly it is early days for both but I think it means goodbye to both Andone and Locadia...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Big man little man combination eh? Toshack and Keegan, Withe and Shaw - sounds a bit last century to me; I'd rather have two small fast nippy forwards running the opposition ragged like Maupay and Connolly did on Saturday. Their first start together too - very, very promising, and very exciting. Think Uncle Tony may well keep his chequebook in his pocket in January - as far as strikers are concerned anyway.
We've got Trossard to come back too. [emoji106]
Nah more like tall fast brick shiz house type striker (Haller at West ham, Wilson at bmuff) not a Glenn Murray type.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we could ever get Connolly, Maupay and Trossard in the same team, defenders could be having nightmares for weeks. Problem is that you also need supply for them to work so getting all 3 together plus Gross or Mooy might be a stretch.
With 442 we could have Connolly and Maupay up front, with Trossard on one wing, and Gross on the other. Stephens in the middle with either Mooy, Propper, or Alzate.

As a 343 we could have the 3 up front, but no Gross.

Talking of Maupay, do we have the definitive pronunciation? I have heard mo-pay, mo-pie, more-pay and more-pie. And I am guessing Warren goes with Moppy.
:lol: I was going with Chairman Mao Pay :shrug:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Did anyone else notice that when Connolly shot, Maupay was following in like he meant it, and vice versa.

Haven't seen that from a Brighton strike partnership in years and it will get us goals this season

Yes I saw that. If Gazenga or whatever his name is, got to Connollys shot and palmed it out, Maupay was in the perfect position for a tap in. Very intelligent run.

Looks to me as a player that has a good strikers brain and is still working his way up to PL speed and standards. Love the career path he put himself on, putting in a few years in the lower leagues to improve his trade craft and then move up when he thinks he is ready.

Excited about the partnership with Aaron, think they will be a revelation for us this season and help us into the promised land of mid tablesness. :albion2:

el punal

Looks a lot more effective with a similar player alongside him. More isolated when he is on his own as defenders can shut him down but the pace and movement of two small players puts doubt in their minds. If we could ever get Connolly, Maupay and Trossard in the same team, defenders could be having nightmares for weeks. Problem is that you also need supply for them to work so getting all 3 together plus Gross or Mooy might be a stretch. But not having to worry that we have strikers under 6ft is very nice.

Talking of Maupay, do we have the definitive pronunciation? I have heard mo-pay, mo-pie, more-pay and more-pie. And I am guessing Warren goes with Moppy. But which one is it?

You say to-mah-to, I say tom-A-to . . . so it could eether or ither. :mad:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Looks a lot more effective with a similar player alongside him. More isolated when he is on his own as defenders can shut him down but the pace and movement of two small players puts doubt in their minds. If we could ever get Connolly, Maupay and Trossard in the same team, defenders could be having nightmares for weeks. Problem is that you also need supply for them to work so getting all 3 together plus Gross or Mooy might be a stretch. But not having to worry that we have strikers under 6ft is very nice.

Talking of Maupay, do we have the definitive pronunciation? I have heard mo-pay, mo-pie, more-pay and more-pie. And I am guessing Warren goes with Moppy. But which one is it?
Posh Spice is a slapper
She's really rather dopey
And when she's shagging Beckham
She thinks of Neal Maupay

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He looks like he's been getting in great positions but (generally) not quite being able to add the finishing touch. That's far preferable to not getting into those positions. My gut says he's going to be a belter for the Albion.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Maupay has had just about the level of credit he deserves so far IMHO. Nobody going overboard, nor giving him a hard time. Has scored a couple but has also missed a few howlers, like the free and easy header on saturday. But no complaints here, other than maybe his daft bleached hair. It's a step up in class for the player and he's mainly doing OK. Just happy he looks hungry & useful and has denied Andone/Locadia a squad place for the season

Alderweireld got the slightest touch to the cross which is why Maupay missed that header.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Me no understand. He scored the 'free and easy header' on Saturday.
I can only remember him missing one opportunity that he should have scored from: when he came on and skied the ball from a Murray pull back against West Ham (? or Burnley? might even have been Southampton).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Still not convinced that he is making good runs. It was a bit embarrassing on the weekend when he stopped his run because he didn’t think Mooy was going to give it to him but instead Mooy was just disguising the pass brilliantly.

Well, I think the precise opposite. His movement and running off the ball is exceptional (although I will grant you that one from Mooy's disguised pass). The issue is far more that our midfielders aren't quite sure how to read his runs as yet. If that falls into place, he'll do extremely well for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here