Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Need recommendations for a new SatNav

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
Looking to get a new SatNav.
Don't really want to spend more than £100 if I can help it...but I can be tempted!

Do need traffic updates for alternate routes.

Recommendations?

Currently have a 5 year old Garmin that's not really up to it anymore...

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 18477

go to halfords. they're not too much more expensive than the internet. or just have a look on amazon. even the cheapest ones are decent! stick with tomtom or garmin though.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Still don't see the point in them and happy with a map :shrug:
If like me you travel to Wales a lot, they are invaluable.I have the travel updates and I have an estimated time of arrival. If there is a hold up on the way, my Sat nav gives me an alternative route. An A-Z will not let you know if the M4 has queuing traffic and delays on your route. Sat Navs can also find you the nearest car parks, cheapest petrol staion and any shop/superstore you google on your sat nav in any area that you travel too, very handy when you do not know the area.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
If like me you travel to Wales a lot, they are invaluable.I have the travel updates and I have an estimated time of arrival. If there is a hold up on the way, my Sat nav gives me an alternative route. An A-Z will not let you know if the M4 has queuing traffic and delays on your route..

You do know that it tells everybody else the same alternative route?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I've yet to find any reason to buy a separate SatNav device if you've got a smartphone.

Google Maps is excellent, and Nokia Drive is even better. Provided you don't upgrade to the latest iOS the iPhone can make use of Google Maps, as well as Android Devices, whilst Nokias have their own system.

Download the maps for offline use, in case you lose data signal, and the phone will do just as good a job as the SatNav.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
51-ybQSIHYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It won't tell the people like you that don't have a sat nav and just use a map!

But they can use there brains (I know al is a Palace fan, but this is theoretical) to look at the map, process the information and come up with an alternative route that will often be superior to the Sat Nav's attempt.

They are invaluable however if you are driving to obscure locations in a big city (I used to do deliveries in London for example) and to use a map is impossible what with multi lane traffic systems and so on.

They definitely have their place and would go for a TomTom personally, probably second hand if your budget is only £100...

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'd just take a look on Amazon in the £50-£100 range, Garmin or Tomtom, and get the one with the largest screen. Mine has traffic updates but cost about £130, the price has probably dropped since last year though.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
If you have an iphone... just download the app... Thats what im going to do... when the dam phone eventually gets delivered.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Can't believe the ludites still recommending using a map or road atlas - if you're on your own in the vehicle these can be accident creators.
And the traffic congestion avoidance module diverts you away from the queue before you join it .... too late with a map and no exit for a few miles in stationery traffic.
Embrace the technology ... all commercial aircraft use them too now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here