Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Need an NSC Electrician

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Probably a 5 minute job .... not. Looking for an NSC electrician to fix two recessed bathroom lights. Both have transformers on them - one of which I replaced successfully and I guess has now blown again and another I tried to replace unsuccessfully. Just need someone to fix them - feel free to PM me. Need them fixed ASAP.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Just remove the transformer and wire the mains directly into the lamp fitting them buy the same wattage LED 12 volt lamps with built in transformer much simpler to charge moving forward and just as efficient

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just remove the transformer and wire the mains directly into the lamp fitting them buy the same wattage LED 12 volt lamps with built in transformer much simpler to charge moving forward and just as efficient

This. Transformers popularity come from the halogen bulb era where downlighters were 50w at 240v and a transformer would bring it down to 12v saving electricity.

Modern LED downlighters are 3-5w. No difference between 240 and 12v and add something that eventually burns out, the transformer.

It'll be more expensive initially to change all of the downlighters to 240v in the room, but worth it in the long run imo as you won't have transformer issues in the future. Don't change just a couple as the LED lights and halogens will look different and annoy the Mrs. Not a huge job as the transformers should be able to be pulled out and taken out.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
You will currently have MR16 fittings. The more modern and substantially more available version is GU10, which runs at 230v as the transformer is built into each bulb.

Fittings are pretty cheap and bulbs should be no more than £2-3 each time - being LEDs they will last for months if not years. Despite your misgivings, changing over to the new fitting really is not much more than a 5 minute job!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Sorry to interrupt but while there’s Sparkies in the house, a question. I’ve got seven of these little lights in my living room, when I buy a pack of those little bulbs I have all seven on, however within about a week 2or 3 will blow and if untouched the remaining ones are good for months/years when I replace them, again a couple (not necessarily the same ones, will blow again) any reasons/suggestions?
IMG_2491.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Sorry to interrupt but while there’s Sparkies in the house, a question. I’ve got seven of these little lights in my living room, when I buy a pack of those little bulbs I have all seven on, however within about a week 2or 3 will blow and if untouched the remaining ones are good for months/years when I replace them, again a couple (not necessarily the same ones, will blow again) any reasons/suggestions?View attachment 168441View attachment 168442View attachment 168442
Blimey, it must be warm in there just after you've bought the new bulbs...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sorry to interrupt but while there’s Sparkies in the house, a question. I’ve got seven of these little lights in my living room, when I buy a pack of those little bulbs I have all seven on, however within about a week 2or 3 will blow and if untouched the remaining ones are good for months/years when I replace them, again a couple (not necessarily the same ones, will blow again) any reasons/suggestions?View attachment 168441View attachment 168442View attachment 168442
Have you tried switching to LED lamps?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Have you tried switching to LED lamps?

This. I'd change them all to LED G9 bulbs. Will last longer. Halogen bulbs get very hot and sometimes can blow in all kinds if weird ways. I had some that lasted years where others on the same circuit the would blow every few months. LEDs are the way to go. Don't use as much elec, dont get hot and should last longer and you dont have to mess about not touching them when putting them in.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
This. I'd change them all to LED G9 bulbs. Will last longer. Halogen bulbs get very hot and sometimes can blow in all kinds if weird ways. I had some that lasted years where others on the same circuit the would blow every few months. LEDs are the way to go. Don't use as much elec, dont get hot and should last longer and you dont have to mess about not touching them when putting them in.
This! The halogen ones are useless. We had some in a landing light cluster and from new lasted about 6 months. Then 3 went at once and when I changed them I noticed that heat was such that the white ceiling had little ' tan marks ' :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here