Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Surely there is a big difference between clinical and natural goal scoring? Harry Kane (28) & Mo Salah (29) appear clinical in that they score all types of goals most of the time, whereas Neal (25) appears to produce worldies with natural nonchalance but can also wield the banjo at the cow’s arse and miss… Often. He’s definitely a natural goalscorer but not (yet) a clinical one.

Disagree. A natural goalscorer IMO, is a player who reacts instinctively and does not miss (see your clinical), Maupay is indeed instinctive, but the second ingredient he fails on. Yesterday a natural goalscorer, Murray for instance would have IMO, scored the missed chance. Maupay often isn’t even in the right area to score, so again that is not an attribute of a natural goalscorer.

However, as my original post, he does undoubtedly have ability and his best work is often outside the box.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Someone posted a magnificent t shirt a few days ago - Le petit shitehouse with a picture of his goal at Palace. Perfect Christmas present for my son… but I can’t find it.

Can anyone help?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Disagree. A natural goalscorer IMO, is a player who reacts instinctively and does not miss (see your clinical), Maupay is indeed instinctive, but the second ingredient he fails on. Yesterday a natural goalscorer, Murray for instance would have IMO, scored the missed chance. Maupay often isn’t even in the right area to score, so again that is not an attribute of a natural goalscorer.

However, as my original post, he does undoubtedly have ability and his best work is often outside the box.

Exactly….

He’s playing to instruction and his work rate is immense that’s often why you might perceive him to be ‘out of position’ when in actual fact if you watch him in the box he comes alive.

I of course accept it’s a game of opinions but personally I think he’s the most instinctive natural out and out goalscorer/poacher we’ve had since Byrne maybe and that Murray, Zamora and Ward for example were centre forwards in that there was more to their game.

With Maupay though he’s playing in an era where poachers are a rarity and they have to do more donkey work for their teams.

I don’t think I’m articulating myself well enough - two kids under 4 and I’ve been up since before 6 so not everything is functioning yet! :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He’s playing to instruction and his work rate is immense that’s often why you might perceive him to be ‘out of position’ when in actual fact if you watch him in the box he comes alive.

I of course accept it’s a game of opinions but personally I think he’s the most instinctive natural out and out goalscorer/poacher we’ve had since Byrne maybe and that Murray, Zamora and Ward for example were centre forwards in that there was more to their game.

With Maupay though he’s playing in an era where poachers are a rarity and they have to do more donkey work for their teams.

I don’t think I’m articulating myself well enough - two kids under 4 and I’ve been up since before 6 so not everything is functioning yet! :lolol:

😂

I think we all agree natural or not, he certainly works hard and is a key member of the squad.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
FFx8VX5XwAE2kXj.jpeg

Shamelessly stolen from Twitter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Natural goalscorers aren't consistently tackling on the edge of their own penalty area.
Setting up attacks in midfield.
Marauding down either wing.

Imagine pairing that player WITH a natural goalscorer!

Why would this rule out being a "natural goalscorer" (whatever that is)?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Why would this rule out being a "natural goalscorer" (whatever that is)?
I used to be a natural goalscorer, about 3 years ago when playing in the park against my eight year old son. Now he is eleven, and my pace has gone a bit as well, I find it much harder to score against him!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Scores EPL goals, has pace, incredible work-rate for 90+ minutes, demonstrable passion, he’s awake.

The antithesis of Locadia.
The problem we have is not with Maupay 24 goals in under 2 and a half seasons (goal every other game started this season) and as you say, never stops trying. He gets in the right positions even in the 98th minute

It is everyone else, attackers and midfielders especially, not chipping in with enough goals.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The problem we have is not with Maupay 24 goals in under 2 and a half seasons (goal every other game started this season) and as you say, never stops trying. He gets in the right positions even in the 98th minute

It is everyone else, attackers and midfielders especially, not chipping in with enough goals.

Exactly.

My dream next transfer window would simply be a decent striker (eg no guarantee Maupay stays fit) and a goal scoring midfielder either out wide on in front of Biss.

Probably won’t happen due to finances and everyone else coveting the same players.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The TV coverage focused in on some tw*t of a Stains fan whilst Trossard was receiving treatment. Aware of the camera focused on him, he was bopping about signing a 1-0 score line like he just won the ****ing lottery.

Thanks goodness then, on equalising, Neal circled away from us towards the Southampton fans for some text book shithousery. I hope that chap felt utter, utter despair as Neal cupped his ear.

That’s one of the reasons that Neal is very very special.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The TV coverage focused in on some tw*t of a Stains fan whilst Trossard was receiving treatment. Aware of the camera focused on him, he was bopping about signing a 1-0 score line like he just won the ****ing lottery.

Thanks goodness then, on equalising, Neal circled away from us towards the Southampton fans for some text book shithousery. I hope that chap felt utter, utter despair as Neal cupped his ear.

Neal ran to the left along the line of Stains fans with his finger to his lips in a shushing signal as Shane ran to the right and volleyed the ball joyfully into the stand. Wonderful stuff.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

And the TV commentator lady emphasized Southampton fans sporting credentials as they clapped Trossard off the pitch whilst completely ignoring the bell ends who booed him whilst he lay in agony having dislocated his elbow.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Neal ran to the left along the line of Stains fans with his finger to his lips in a shushing signal as Shane ran to the right and volleyed the ball joyfully into the stand. Wonderful stuff.

Here’s the shithousery highlights for those that missed it :lolol: Particularly liked him shrugging Burn off when he tried to give him a hug…..’piss off Dan, I haven’t finished shithousing yet’

[tweet]1467452143850475525[/tweet]

Last edited:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Dear Ali,

If you'd stood for 90 minutes in the stand next to the Soton supporters and listened to the grief we were
getting about being 1-0 down, ruling the south coast and no trains etc etc. and you were given the choice
of Neal coming to you to celebrate or ripping into the soton fans, I know which one I chose. Now perhaps
you'd like to actually go to a match rather than spouting utter boll*x.

Yours
An albion fan.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Dear Ali,

If you'd stood for 90 minutes in the stand next to the Soton supporters and listened to the grief we were
getting about being 1-0 down, ruling the south coast and no trains etc etc. and you were given the choice
of Neal coming to you to celebrate or ripping into the soton fans, I know which one I chose. Now perhaps
you'd like to actually go to a match rather than spouting utter boll*x.

Yours
An albion fan.

Which one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here