Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Tough crowd.

I am absolutely loving our football this season. It is unquestionably the best I have ever seen from us in 52 year's of watching. Maupay is part of that. I have absolutely no inclination to find players to point a finger at.

I was also thinking these last few weeks that, if we decide we will add a 'proven' striker in the window, what sort of proven striker would we go for? And, yes, I can see we need to score more goals. Big and fast? Lukaku type, or Wilson type (poor man's Lukaku type)? Perhaps. But if so it won't be a 'proven' striker (these are the absolute top end of the price range), it will be an unknown 19 year old African. Or do we want a small nippy type? A Messi. These are as rare as rocking horse shit. This isn't idle musing because I would imagine the club has been having versions of this conversation for the last four years.

In the meantime, that was great, last night, and sleepy Sanchez notwithstanding (and he saved us repeatedly later on) that was a proper game. Two proper first division teams, and we were one of them. My mate Bob said to me 'Brighton look like they belong in this division, now'. He wasn't saying that a year ago. Yes, I know that wanting more is part of the human condition, and rightly so, but FFS let's enjoy this! :lolol: :thumbsup:

Ah yes, I re-read my post. I'm referring to goalscoring. I'm not saying the defence and midfield haven't contributed anything. That would be unduly harsh. I'm saying they haven't contributed to the goalscoring.

Oh and as for the striker type, well I think we want, 6 foot 4, runs 100m in 11 seconds, and bangs in about 30 a season in my view. Recruitment team, get to it

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
... IF (I know, I know) he'd managed one more goal then only Vardy and Liverpool players would be on more league goals for the season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He actually referred to himself by his full name so it is Mo-pay. None of this commentator getting clever bollocks with More-pie. The bloke himself says it.

[tweet]1466190600747864068[/tweet]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Watching the warm up as well, I don’t think he scored one goal in that shooting drill they do in front of the north stand his head seemed to drop every time he missed, he’s trying but he’s just not good enough, I can forgive that, it’s not his fault really we are in a position where he’s our only striker and most of the time we play with no striker, that’s how little faith Potter has in him, which obviously can’t help but you can’t blame him.

Saying that, the guy isn’t alone, of course he will receive more of the stick because he is a striker but across the team our shooting is absolutely abysmal, there’s no other words for it and it has been for a few seasons now, to the point where it’s not bad luck anymore.

Even if you consider that Trossard "isn't a striker" (with which Potter disagrees, echoed by Pep), this is just plain wrong. Maupay has started ten games, and come on in another. Welbeck has also started games. Trossard has started every game.
Our finishing isn't great, granted, but abysmal is unfair. And on 'strikers' (I'm including Trossard in here), they've scored nine of our 13 goals this season. We need more from our plethora of midfielders, ditto the three CBs that tend to start, wing backs too.

kjgood

So I have to admit to being one of those those who am frustrated with his missing of many what appear to be fairly simple (My old granny with boots etc.) chances. However his benefit to the team is far bigger than his goals (Or perceived lack of them). I know he is paid to score goals, he's a striker that's his primary reason for being in the team, but did you notice his work rate for the team last night? he ran and chased and harried all over the pitch.

One time in the first half I saw him chase a breaking WH player back to just outside our own box going past at least four other Brighton players to stop and hold up the breakaway. His passing and general hold up play was really very good and the ball for Moder was brilliant.

Yes we have an issue scoring AS A TEAM but its not all on his head.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Noice

maupay.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His last two goals have been Champions’ League quality. FACT

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and another one

M2.jpg

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Been meaning to ask, as wasn't clear on TV, but why did Neal get a yellow after the goal? Was it getting too close to the crowd, perceived time wasting by going into the different postcode that the crowd were in thanks to the gap between the stand and the pitch, or some typical Neal shithousery?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Been meaning to ask, as wasn't clear on TV, but why did Neal get a yellow after the goal? Was it getting too close to the crowd, perceived time wasting by going into the different postcode that the crowd were in thanks to the gap between the stand and the pitch, or some typical Neal shithousery?

Didn't he cross the advertising boards celebrating? That normally leads to a yellow card for excessive celebrating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here