Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I think we're a better team without him. He does try really hard, but i think that hinders him and the team. We just look a lot more dangerous without him.

Totally agree, it's no coincidence that we've just won 3 drawn 1 of our last 5 games with little Maupay participation. We look more composed, then throw Mwepu, Caicedo and in form Bissouma/ Trossard and Welbeck in the mix it's a joy to watch.

Need to keep Bissouma and Trossard and give Welbs another year :albion2:

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do start to wonder if his days with us are numbered. Undav looks like a similar type of replacement for next season, and if we do sell Biss and maybe one other player this summer, then hopefully those funds could be used on another new face up front. Maybe go for Diaz from Blackburn? I know his goals have dried up a bit lately but he is a good age.
Well, he hasn't scored many since he's been out injured. I don't think we'll be in for him anyway though.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Diaz, Ings, Pukki ....these sorts of players will not score goals in this current Brighton team. We need pace thoughtful strikers...Undaz and Mitoma fit the bill and will provide this.
No need to waste money on a striker when we have enough already waiting in the wings.

TNBA

TTF

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Although I knew what you mean....it does make me feel a little sad to see people bin off our players. When I remember desperately willing the likes of Richie Barkaaar to just get one shot, never mind it being on target. <sigh>

Oh well....I'm just an old man :facepalm:

I remember a time when my mates and I were discussing Richie Barker, saying "it's amazing to have a player that looks like they might be exciting".

See also Denny Mundee

The days when the potential to be exciting was seen as a bonus. :lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Looks like Maupay is toast. He’s a great player to cheer and gives his all on the pitch, but since Potter has started dropping him, we have been much better. That and changes to the midfield have given us more bite, pace and danger through the middle - not just the same old balls down the wing aimed into ‘the big man’ that Neal isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I remember a time when my mates and I were discussing Richie Barker, saying "it's amazing to have a player that looks like they might be exciting".

See also Denny Mundee

The days when the potential to be exciting was seen as a bonus. :lolol:

I went to a few away games where Mundee was absolutely superb and my mates that I went to home games with didn't believe me.

Frustrating.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
We have been doing very well without him. Yesterday he was replaced by Solly March and we had, probably, our best win of the season. How is he supposed to feel?
I am a big fan of Solly but pretty sure Maupay is going to feel gutted right now. He will probably want out and start again somewhere else. Can’t blame him.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
We have been doing very well without him. Yesterday he was replaced by Solly March and we had, probably, our best win of the season. How is he supposed to feel?
I am a big fan of Solly but pretty sure Maupay is going to feel gutted right now. He will probably want out and start again somewhere else. Can’t blame him.

Yep - Maupay future away from the club - Championship I think where he’ll do well again

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

If he feels like that then get rid of a petulant child. We know that Welbz has glass legs and isn't going to be fit every game. What about Lallana and the rest of the bench? Should they go too?

But your post is supposition and could be complete and utter BS. He's still our top scorer this season and has a place in the squad imo.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think we’ve offered him a contract extension but it isnt attractive and he’ll know that the writing is on the wall re first team opportunities and so be on his way.
It’s a shame but as we want to keep improving we need to make hard decisions. I expect that the money will go to AliMac and Trossard in terms of attractive contract offers. They both look happy at present whereas Maupay certainly doesn’t.
( all three have a year left on existing contracts I believe).
That’s the competitive world of football. I’m sure that an ambitious Championship team or newly promoted Premier League team would find Maupay an attractive option.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The reason I think Maupay might actually be toast at this club is the form of Welbeck and what he gives to this team when he is fully fit, i.e:

1. Real striker nous - where to make runs, how to win penalties.
2. Aerial threat.
3. Can defend corners.
4. Great temperament and discipline.

He is the template that Potter should be aiming to replicate, and I can see why there might be interest in Ings as he is a similar type of striker.

Maupay is a different sort of player but I don't see he brings as much to the table as Welbeck. I don't think we are set up for the short bustling nuisance type of striker which - in part - is why Connolly didn't work out.

Maupay might work out with a partner like Watkins or Mitrovic who are expected to score goals regularly.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Although I knew what you mean....it does make me feel a little sad to see people bin off our players. When I remember desperately willing the likes of Richie Barkaaar to just get one shot, never mind it being on target. <sigh>

Oh well....I'm just an old man :facepalm:

But isn’t that how squad development works ? Players come and go. BHA are only looking to improve, regardless of which millionaire gets given a contract. I certainly don’t feel sentimental about football players but I would keep him for more pragmatic reasons. He is another option.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
If he feels like that then get rid of a petulant child. We know that Welbz has glass legs and isn't going to be fit every game. What about Lallana and the rest of the bench? Should they go too?

But your post is supposition and could be complete and utter BS. He's still our top scorer this season and has a place in the squad imo.

Of course it’s supposition and may well be BS. It’s just my take on a player I like a lot but think he is very emotional and capable of acting irrationally. It only makes him human i.e. not perfect.
We are not exactly overburdened with strikers even with the loanees coming into the squad. We need him and Wellbeck next season imo.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But isn’t that how squad development works ? Players come and go. BHA are only looking to improve, regardless of which millionaire gets given a contract. I certainly don’t feel sentimental about football players but I would keep him for more pragmatic reasons. He is another option.

Sorry but the day I start viewing them all as expendable entertainers is the day I stop travelling 90 miles and back to watch an unpredicatable mid table side, and just stick with the top six sides on the TV :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like Neal but he does himself no favours with what looks like a stroppy attitude when we keep doing well without him. He will be out on his ear if he doesn’t change the attitude imo, and so he should be.

Get it together Neal and accept that unless you are producing what you are paid to do more often, you will be dropped. Just take your chance when it next comes and stop sulking.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I like Neal but he does himself no favours with what looks like a stroppy attitude when we keep doing well without him. He will be out on his ear if he doesn’t change the attitude imo, and so he should be.

Get it together Neal and accept that unless you are producing what you are paid to do more often, you will be dropped. Just take your chance when it next comes and stop sulking.

accept we may be playing better without him but no idea where all this attitude stuff is coming from? we know he's passionate and probably not over the moon to not be playing right now, but potter has had nothing but positive things to say about his attitude and commitment

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

That's a pretty accurate summary . Would not be the first time a poor attitude has stifled a player's career. On the radio commentary yesterday Aspinall was correctly ranting about how Maupay had sulked off down to the tunnel.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
accept we may be playing better without him but no idea where all this attitude stuff is coming from? we know he's passionate and probably not over the moon to not be playing right now, but potter has had nothing but positive things to say about his attitude and commitment

Not celebrating big wins or draws with the team and the fans at the end of the game, just running down the tunnel is an attitude that stinks to me :shrug:

I have never heard Potter criticise anyone but the fans booing a 0-0 against Leeds :smile:

What he says in private to players may be very different though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So we're agreed that Maupay isn't as good as a premier League winner who's played 90ish games for both Man U and Arsenal and has 40 England caps?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So we're agreed that Maupay isn't as good as a now injury free fit premier League winner who's played 90ish games for both Man U and Arsenal and has 40 England caps?

Yep

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here