Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NCTJ - Where did you do it?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I just got offered a place at Brighton College doing an NCTJ in Newspaper Journalism and I know lots of people on here have already done it, just wondering where they did it and what people think of the course at Brighton.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I did it at Brighton.

It was well good; I am a fully qualified journalist.

I used to work in a call centre but now I make tea at The Argus.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't wish to put a dampener on any would-be Students Of Journalism out there, but might I humbly suggest that your time would be far far better spent just writing stuff and hassling editors to get it printed. Hate to say it but NCTJ ain't worth jackshit if you can't write.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Papers don't usually let you near a computer unless you've got your NCTJ under your belt first.

But for magazines, work experience is the most important thing. I did my PTC (Periodicals Training Council) course, but it didn't really get me a job.

My work came from doing (unpaid, unfortunately) work experience. I made the tea and opened the post at Maxim for six weeks, they offered us a few little bits to write, liked what I did and it slowly snowballed from there. Before long I had features and other mags under my belt and the rest is history. My mate Ross Brown, features editor of FHM, started off as a workie at the mag. He worked in Selfridges' Toy Department and had no journalism qualifications at all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
Papers don't usually let you near a computer unless you've got your NCTJ under your belt first.

But for magazines, work experience is the most important thing. I did my PTC (Periodicals Training Council) course, but it didn't really get me a job.

My work came from doing (unpaid, unfortunately) work experience.

So your first paragraph - even without me having to point out that local papers will take just about any arts review you care to submit - is complete bolleaux, as you yourself point out in paragraphs two and three.

NCTJ? Just say no, kidz! :smokin:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I did my learning at the University of Life :p

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Not bollocks at all Tom. Yeah, local papers will take reviews and stuff, if good enough, but if he wants to become a proper newspaper reporter, then he'll probably have to have an NCTJ, to learn journalism law and all that stuff. A newspaper's not going to send a teaboy to report on a murder trial.

For magazines, it's completely different, you just need to be able to write, no qualifications needed.

bigfanofcullip

Aug 12, 2003
Thankfully few would-be journalists will be reading this thread and taking Tom Hark's advice. With the greatest of respect if you want to be a newspaper journalist you should be doing the NCTJ. If Tom Hark didn't and got a job in newspaper journalism via the route he suggests then he's been very fortunate indeed. Work experience and being a contributor is a great way of starting and getting your name known but you won't get anywhere hassling an editor (a news editor maybe). But the long and the short of it - as eastlondonseagull says - is that without an NCTJ you won't get taken seriously for a permanent position.

Can't speak for magazine journalists though.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Might be doing an NCTJ, down at Brighton Uni starting in Oct. So is it or is it not a waste of time?? Also looking for work experience if any lovely person would like to offer me some!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I did the Postgraduate Periodical Journalism course at the London College of Printing. Excellent course, which included some work experience at the Cricketer.

Fine for magazines but if you want to work in newspapers, then you're going to have to get your NCTJ.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
bigfanofcullip said:
Thankfully few would-be journalists will be reading this thread and taking Tom Hark's advice. With the greatest of respect if you want to be a newspaper journalist you should be doing the NCTJ. If Tom Hark didn't and got a job in newspaper journalism via the route he suggests then he's been very fortunate indeed. Work experience and being a contributor is a great way of starting and getting your name known but you won't get anywhere hassling an editor (a news editor maybe). But the long and the short of it - as eastlondonseagull says - is that without an NCTJ you won't get taken seriously for a permanent position.

Can't speak for magazine journalists though.

Fair do's :clap:

I just don't think that taking an NCTJ course should be confused with having the ability to write. Forget what i said up top all you would-be students of journalism. If you're going to be reporting murder trials, council meetings and the like, then, yup, NCTJ is the way to go. If you want to be a MAGAZINE journalist on the other hand, listen to your Uncle Tom... :smokin:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bobby's Gull said:
No offence THPP, but you've made me feel really worried now. :nono:

Why - do the course you believe in, don't just take someones opinion

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bobby's Gull said:
No offence THPP, but you've made me feel really worried now. :nono:

Sorry mate, don't listen to me, I was just pointing out... well, it's all up there on the thread. It's probably a damn good qualification to have on your CV and I'd guess it's a darn sight more interesting college course than some.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here