[Brighton] NC State band

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was really hoping they’d play this, starts at 3 mins in

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
A shame the crowd weren't aware of the full lyrics. Amateurs.
My thoughts exactly. Should have Sussex citizenship revoked if you don't know first two verses.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Appreciate all the kind words! I'm part of the NC State band (or at least I used to be; I actually graduated a few years ago but got the opportunity to join the trip), and that game was definitely one of my biggest highlights of my time in the UK!
Can you share some background - why were you at the game?

I had assumed you were in the UK for another reason, and were subsequently invited to the Amex.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Appreciate all the kind words! I'm part of the NC State band (or at least I used to be; I actually graduated a few years ago but got the opportunity to join the trip), and that game was definitely one of my biggest highlights of my time in the UK!
Brilliant performance from the band. 👏

Intrigued to know more about your thoughts on the game/ground/atmosphere? Especially sat next to the away fans (probably the quietest of the season over the 90mins - or close to anyway). I'm sure it was all quite different to the States - I'm sure the ground seemed pretty small for a start 😅

NCMarcher

May 23, 2023
Can you share some background - why were you at the game?

I had assumed you were in the UK for another reason, and were subsequently invited to the Amex.
Roughly every four years, the marching band makes a big trip somewhere (e.g., in 2019, we went to France), so this year our band director chose the UK. The primary purpose of the trips is just leisure and getting to experience the country we visit, but we also try to have multiple performances included as well. I'm not sure if it's our band director or the travel company we used or a mixture of both, but we reached out to a few places to see if they would be interested in having us perform, and Brighton was one that was very enthusiastic to have us there. We also had a performance on the grounds of Cardiff Castle a few days prior, and we had planned to also perform for a match at Wembley, though they backed out right before we left for the trip.

NCMarcher

May 23, 2023
Brilliant performance from the band. 👏

Intrigued to know more about your thoughts on the game/ground/atmosphere? Especially sat next to the away fans (probably the quietest of the season over the 90mins - or close to anyway). I'm sure it was all quite different to the States - I'm sure the ground seemed pretty small for a start 😅
It was great! Honestly, I loved that we got to sit right next to the Southampton fans so we got to hear all the banter -- well, at least for the first 40 minutes until they got quiet for some reason. It was definitely a much different experience than any I've been to in the US. Pretty much all we do over here is yell loudly, so it was really cool to see organized chants. I also appreciate that your fans apparently know how to clap in time with the band; that's a struggle with our home fans haha

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
American sports tend to have a very different audience and atmosphere to English football.

I wonder what all those fresh faced US college students thought, a few minutes into the game, when a thousand or so Saints fans started belting out "WE'RE f***ing SHIIIIIIIIIT" :D
Ha yes. I got in 10 mins before kick off and had no idea they were outside originally but I spent the whole first half looking at that area (just looked like a sea of red) wondering how so many saints fans managed to get into the lower east and WHY. Then having asked my neighbour she told me that they were the band. I did wonder what they may have thought of some of the industrial language and general mayhem. When Fergys 1st went in they all started waving little flags politely and bobbing from side to side. It was mad. Genuinely thought it was some kind of Mitoma fan club thing.

Thank they warmed to the vibe by the end though and were fully invested in Free from desire.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
It was great! Honestly, I loved that we got to sit right next to the Southampton fans so we got to hear all the banter -- well, at least for the first 40 minutes until they got quiet for some reason. It was definitely a much different experience than any I've been to in the US. Pretty much all we do over here is yell loudly, so it was really cool to see organized chants. I also appreciate that your fans apparently know how to clap in time with the band; that's a struggle with our home fans haha
If you or any member of the band have any footage of the match from your perspective it would be great to see it.

NCseagull

May 21, 2023
Awesome! Go Pack!! 🐺

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Oh no!!!!
I went to my seat early to watch the small band play on the pitch. Had no idea there were so many of them playing outside pre-match. I don't go past the main square so didn't see them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here