[News] Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not at all, a quite remarkable woman, outstanding resilience, I would have liked her to thank Liz Truss in particular for the work she has done to secure her release and also show some gratitude to the British taxpayers that stumped up 400 million quid. It was not the British Government that incarcerated her, it was the tyrannical regime in Iran.

IT WAS NOT TAX PAYERS MONEY!

Yes I am shouting because you've already been told. It was a refund to Iran for money they had paid us in 1979. An International court told Britain to pay it when the sanctions on Iran were removed in 1979. The money had been kept in the bank and needed to be returned but Britain stalled.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Johnson is a buffoon, and self centred to boot, the sooner he is gone the better.

But let’s put a little balance on this rather than blame BJ ad nauseum

The bill has been outstanding since the 70’s, not BJs fault.
The bill has not been paid by successive governments, foreign secretaries and prime ministers, not BJs fault.
Iran suddenly took this woman, and others, hostage on the pretext of this ‘£400 million bill’, not BJs fault. Wonder what the original sum was?
British foreign policy has been not to deal with hostage takers since I was a child, and maybe before, not BJs fault.

But…….under whose watch has the bill been paid? Boris Johnson.

But hey, don’t let the truth stand in the way of a good witch-hunt huh?

After the court order in 2009, who won the General Election in 2010?

Liz Truss
2021-

Dominic Raab
2019 to 2021

Jeremy Hunt
2018 to 2019

Boris Johnson
2016 to 2018

Philip Hammond
2014 to 2016

William Hague
2010 to 2014

All Tories.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Liz Truss
2021-

Dominic Raab
2019 to 2021

Jeremy Hunt
2018 to 2019

Boris Johnson
2016 to 2018

Philip Hammond
2014 to 2016

William Hague
2010 to 2014

All Tories.

I loathe the Tories as much as you do. To play party politics with this one is a tad disingenuous though.

It's British Foreign Policy, regardless of whether it's Labour or Tories at the helm. Anyone who dares step out of line is instantly labelled as a terrorist sympathiser, as we've seen very recently with Corbyn.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I loathe the Tories as much as you do. To play party politics with this one is a tad disingenuous though.

It's British Foreign Policy, regardless of whether it's Labour or Tories at the helm. Anyone who dares step out of line is instantly labelled as a terrorist sympathiser, as we've seen very recently with Corbyn.

Nazanin mentioned five Foreign Secretaries. I've just named them.

There is also an element of misogyny in this, as in how dare 'that woman' speak up for herself. It may not be so prevalent on Nsc but certainly on Twitter. I have seen some vile posts calling her all the names under the sun.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Nazanin mentioned five Foreign Secretaries. I've just named them.

There is also an element of misogyny in this, as in how dare 'that woman' speak up for herself. It may not be so prevalent on Nsc but certainly on Twitter. I have seen some vile posts calling her all the names under the sun.

Is that the same misogyny which means she as woman gets released whilst a man remains incarcerated? How much coverage was there of others held hostage?

I'm not decrying her in any way - but you're overplaying your hand here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is that the same misogyny which means she as woman gets released whilst a man remains incarcerated? How much coverage was there of others held hostage?

So the government settled a £400M and only got 1 of the 3 released from 'prison' ? Sounds a shambles

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Anoosheh Ashoori was released with her and is male. I don't know why the third man has still been held.

If you are on Twitter the hashtag #sendherback is trending.

Just to prove I am not the only one thinking this

[tweet]1505981251047632896[/tweet]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would have liked her to thank Liz Truss in particular for the work she has done to secure her release and also show some gratitude to the British taxpayers that stumped up 400 million quid.
It's already been pointed out to you that taxpayers are not paying for this, it's simply money that Iran paid, that's being returned. So you're just trolling. Why are you doing that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed, pure speculation, hence predicating with the word 'suspect'...just my musings
They're really unpleasant musings though. Half of marriages end in divorce, so you could say it about anyone and have a reasonable chance of being right, but to say it about a victim who's just returned home, and throw in your made up reasons, isn't very nice.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely.

But one wasn't. The point I was trying to make was that you can't play the misogyny card (particularly on the Wild West of Twitter) when it is a man who remains incarcerated.

Are people attacking Anooshi Ashoori for not going public with grateful thanks to Liz Truss and Boris Johnson?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Are people attacking Anooshi Ashoori for not going public with grateful thanks to Liz Truss and Boris Johnson?

He's been totally under the radar during this whole process. It was Nazanin which who got all the press coverage largely, I think, because she was the woman and her husband did a great job in focusing politicians minds.

I'm not condoning behaviour on Twitter in any way, its a horrible medium. But to play the misogyny card now she's been released is a bit rich. A few clowns on Twitter aren't going to change the majority view that her release is a positive and uplifting thing regardless of her gender.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's been totally under the radar during this whole process. It was Nazanin which who got all the press coverage largely, I think, because she was the woman and her husband did a great job in focusing politicians minds.

I'm not condoning behaviour on Twitter in any way, its a horrible medium. But to play the misogyny card now she's been released is a bit rich. A few clowns on Twitter aren't going to change the majority view that her release is a positive and uplifting thing regardless of her gender.

A few clowns? Ok, you carry on thinking that in your nice cosy world. I don't have to play the misogyny card, I experience it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Liz Truss
2021-

Dominic Raab
2019 to 2021

Jeremy Hunt
2018 to 2019

Boris Johnson
2016 to 2018

Philip Hammond
2014 to 2016

William Hague
2010 to 2014