Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor's not impressed..

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...cox_cracker_gives_fans_something_to_cheer.php
Cox cracker gives fans something to cheer
By Andy Naylor
Comment

Dean Wilkins, Dick Knight and the rest of the Albion players should give a big pat on the back to little Dean Cox.

One stunning swish of his right boot five minutes from the end not only ended a collective home goal drought spanning more than six hours, it also saved the Seagulls from the embarrassment of another frosty farewell from the suffering supporters.

The booing which accompanied the previous Withdean debacle against Bradford would, you sensed, have been repeated without Cox dipping in a delicious strike from 20 yards to raise his debut season tally into double figures.
advertisement

In that instant he did not just half the deficit, he also changed the mood of fans long since resigned to witnessing another painful home defeat.

It was, I am afraid, by no means for the first time this season a case of boys against men. Wilkins admitted as much afterwards when he spoke about the way Sean Gregan, Oldham's experienced defender, "bullied some of our players".

At the end of last season, following relegation from the Championship, Wilkins' predecessor Mark McGhee sent the younger members of the squad to former local boxer Scott Welch.

This summer the players will be given a strength and conditioning programme to help them grow up and toughen up. It can only help but will not, in isolation, make a substantial difference to Albion's prospects next season.

Honest endeavour and flashes of quality - there was plenty of the former on Saturday, not much of the latter - is nowhere near enough to prosper in the rough and tumble of League One.

It is one thing for Wilkins' kids to thrive in the FA Youth Cup against opponents of similar age and sometimes weaker physique, quite another when they come up against hardened pros like Oldham had in the shape of Gregan, Simon Charlton, Richie Wellens and Andy Liddell, all still with a hunger inspired by the chase for a play-off place.

Oldham, in fact, have a good blend for Albion to aspire to. Neal Eardley and Chris Taylor are promising rookies, Chris Porter the type of goalscorer the Seagulls so desperately need.

There is an awful lot of rebuilding and replenishing to be done by Wilkins in the summer to turn Albion from where they are now into where Oldham are now.

The absent Dean Hammond and Joel Lynch will make a difference, assuming the player of the season and classy young defender are not prised away by other clubs.

So too will Adam Hinshelwood and Paul Reid if they are as good as new after their knee injuries. Charlie Oatway, out for so long with his broken ankle, deserves a mention too because Albion are sadly lacking in the kind of steel and competitive cajoling he provides.

But make no mistake, Wilkins has a huge job on his hands, working within a budget described by Knight earlier this month as "healthy". The chairman has subsequently admitted it is less than McGhee kicked off with at the start of the season.

Knight really does not help matters by peddling the myth of Albion being a big club'. They could eventually become one, a few years down the line, if they ever get to Falmer. For the time being though they are penniless tenants.

Meanwhile, Albion's very own spin doctor plays his very own version of fantasy football. Now that Wilkins has agreed a new three-year contract Knight talks of plotting with the manager "a serious challenge to get back to the Championship", which raises expectations among fans to unrealistic levels.

Knight ended a pre-match speech by urging season ticket holders to take advantage of some "fantastic offers". Quite what they are is hard to tell, given that Albion have failed to win 18 of their 23 home games this season and failed even to score in seven of the last ten.

Supporters would not think any less of Knight if he told it how it really is, far from it. They have, down the years, built a healthy reputation for rallying round when the club needs them.

The fans need much more goalmouth excitement than Albion were able to provide against an Oldham side quite content to sit on the two-goal lead they had established by half-time.

Yet again the Seagulls started slowly. The visitors looked much more threatening going forward and it came as no surprise when Porter gave them an 18th-minute lead with a majestic header from Eardley's cross, his 22nd goal of the season.

Oldham's second goal, five minutes before the break, was every bit as good as Cox's, Liddell arrowing a right-foot drive into the top corner from just outside the box.

The most frustrating aspect of Albion's performance was their abject failure to seriously test Les Pogliacomi, Oldham's Australian goalkeeper.

Recalled in place of ex-Seagull Alan Blayney, he had been substituted at half-time on his previous appearance after a couple of costly mistakes in a home defeat by Cheltenham.

He caught one early cross and after that Albion did little to examine Pogliacomi's fragile confidence. His vulnerability was exposed when he came for a cross from Cox which Alex Revell headed against the bar but he subsequently had just a couple of routine saves to make .

Cox offered an uplifting finale but it cannot disguise a disturbing truth. Albion have been saved from a nervy final day at Cheltenham by Bradford's ineptitude. They were incapable of saving themselves.

He doesn't seem to be Dick Knights biggest fan at the moment....

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Never really respected Andy Naylor's opinion. His agenda, and it is an agenda - rather than opionated conjecture (something he IS supposed to write) - is often way off the mark, especially for a club in so much trouble. I understand there is little love lost between Naylor and Knight.

Not that I am suggesting that Naylor should be Albion's cheerleader - far from it, but he manages to find problems and issues in places where none exist. And his reporting on the Mark McGhee story was, at times, amateurish.

While I don't disagree with much of what he said about the current state of affairs, I don't recall Knight peddling a myth about us being a big club. And he appears to be talking Wilkins down before the summer transfer activity has even started.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Naylor is a journalist first and I think thats what upsets people. They want an Albion fan who writes for the local rag and thats not going to happen. Vinnicombe was less scathing than Naylor but he could write some truly biased pro Albion crap at times.

I dont want sycophantic journalism on the Albion or if that was the case the truth on the selling of the Goldstone may never have come out when it did................... not that it made much difference I suppose.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Seems fair comment to me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not much wrong with that report imo and this season's home form should raise concerns about next for all but the most myopic rose tinted specs wearers. Our recent history of close season signings must be amongst the lowest in the football league when it comes to quantity and/or quality. This team's problems arent' going to go away without some decent signings.

If DK gives DW the funds and he can persuade the players to come here then the future may be rosy but, raising doubts, based on history, doesn't mean that Naylor has an agenda. He says nothing about Wilkins that many of us haven't already expressed concerns about.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Large One said:
Never really respected Andy Naylor's opinion. His agenda, and it is an agenda - rather than opionated conjecture (something he IS supposed to write) - is often way off the mark, especially for a club in so much trouble. I understand there is little love lost between Naylor and Knight.

Not that I am suggesting that Naylor should be Albion's cheerleader - far from it, but he manages to find problems and issues in places where none exist. And his reporting on the Mark McGhee story was, at times, amateurish.

While I don't disagree with much of what he said about the current state of affairs, I don't recall Knight peddling a myth about us being a big club. And he appears to be talking Wilkins down before the summer transfer activity has even started.

The trouble with soft people like you is that you don't like hearing the truth.Alot of what Naylor says is absolutely true even if it is near the knuckle.I've always enjoyed his write ups and i hardly ever find myself disagreeing with him.No doubt your one of the few idiots who sing anti Naylor songs from time to time

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Most of what is written is very true.

Mid-table next season will have to be sufficient I am afraid.

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
algie said:
The trouble with soft people like you is that you don't like hearing the truth.Alot of what Naylor says is absolutely true even if it is near the knuckle.I've always enjoyed his write ups and i hardly ever find myself disagreeing with him.No doubt your one of the few idiots who sing anti Naylor songs from time to time

I would hazard a guess that if you did start to find yourself disaggreeing with him you'd soon start singing you're own anti-Naylor songs.

Why is he soft?

I've had the misfortune to have bumped into Naylor, up own and arse spring to mind.

Not much wrong with the article, but I don't trust the little git.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
algie said:
So much wrong with this post - where to start, eh...?

1. Soft people? As opposed to a hard nut? Ooh, get you, bitch.

2. People like me? You mean anti-racist, anti-fascist, reasonably intelligent thinking types?

3. Read my post again you illiterate twat, I didn't say I disagreed with him - in fact I actually said I don't disagree with him. I said his agenda was off the mark.

4. No, I don't sing anti-Naylor songs - never have, never will. As far as I am aware, anti-Naylor chants have only been sung once, so how anyone can do it 'from time to time' is a bit weird. So your sense of doubt is f***ed as well.

Apart from that, one day, you'll let your blind ignorance drop, and respond to one of my posts intelligently and humorously, rather than responding to what you think I have written. I suppose it's one of the downsides of your stalking issues.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Large One said:
So much wrong with this post - where to start, eh...?

1. Soft people? As opposed to a hard nut? Ooh, get you, bitch.

2. People like me? You mean anti-racist, anti-fascist, reasonably intelligent thinking types?

3. Read my post again you illiterate twat, I didn't say I disagreed with him - in fact I actually said I don't disagree with him. I said his agenda was off the mark.

4. No, I don't sing anti-Naylor songs - never have, never will. As far as I am aware, anti-Naylor chants have only been sung once, so how anyone can do it 'from time to time' is a bit weird. So your sense of doubt is f***ed as well.

Apart from that, one day, you'll let your blind ignorance drop, and respond to one of my posts intelligently and humorously, rather than responding to what you think I have written. I suppose it's one of the downsides of your stalking issues.

LISTEN HERE BEARD...

In your to point 2

Labour supporters are the most racist vermin going but lets stick to the thread title.

point 3

You have no respect for him so your reply is completely flawed.Read it properly

point 4

Again it goes to show that your a fair weather fan as i've heard it a few times,especially at away games.I'm obviously speaking the truth as you on many occassions hit back with foul and abusive language.I may not like you but at least i don't insult you constantly.Get over it

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I like you both and I want you to be friends.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
algie said:
LISTEN HERE BEARD...

In your to point 2

Labour supporters are the most racist vermin going but lets stick to the thread title.

point 3

You have no respect for him so your reply is completely flawed.Read it properly

point 4

Again it goes to show that your a fair weather fan as i've heard it a few times,especially at away games.I'm obviously speaking the truth as you on many occassions hit back with foul and abusive language.I may not like you but at least i don't insult you constantly.Get over it
One - stop calling me beard. I haven't got one, so I've no idea why you keep saying it.

Two - who is a Labour supporter here? Not me. I've told you both these points time and time again, but you still believe your own 'truth'.

Three - my lack of respect for his opinion (opposed to the man himself) isn't just made up on the spot, as you would like to think. It comes from a lack of trust in his agenda garnered over a few years, so my opinions are still totally valid.

Four - now I'm not going to get into a debate about who is the better fan, but 'fairweather'? Give over. '...as you've heard it a few times at away games'? What on earth does that mean? I go to away games, but I'm fairweather about it? Nope, your logic has baffled me there.

You often fail to understand the concept of truth, so don't go about claiming you know what it is, let alone consider the fact you are obviously speaking it. I am offering an OPINION on Naylor's article, and on his attitude. I may not be in the majority with my opinion, and I am fine with that, but I am not offering my words as fact, nor do I fully expect to be in the majority about what I am saying either.

My foul and abusive language towards you is a proportionate repsonse to my dislike of the preaching of racism - something I acknowledge you haven't done on this thread yet, but do so often preach on others. Your stalking of me throughout the board - and you do unnecessarily comment on the most banal things I say - is quite disturbing.

However, in future, I will try and abuse you only when you have been abusive first. Deal?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I really do not like Andy Naylor BUT I seriously cannot see anything wrong at all in what he has written there.

(Apart from his usual name dropping butt licking with his golfing buddy).

Naylor? Who cares, his opinion and viewpoint is no more interesting or insightful than yours or mine. As someone who gets to put it in print in a local rag - he still doesn't evoke much more thought or debate than almost any one person posting on NSC who bears witness to a match.

I think his problem, is that he doesn't have any more exclusive info to comment on that can be found here.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I read that and didnt disagree with one single word. I also think his comment about "big club" was spot on!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Large One said:
One - stop calling me beard. I haven't got one, so I've no idea why you keep saying it.

Two - who is a Labour supporter here? Not me. I've told you both these points time and time again, but you still believe your own 'truth'.

Three - my lack of respect for his opinion (opposed to the man himself) isn't just made up on the spot, as you would like to think. It comes from a lack of trust in his agenda garnered over a few years, so my opinions are still totally valid.

Four - now I'm not going to get into a debate about who is the better fan, but 'fairweather'? Give over. '...as you've heard it a few times at away games'? What on earth does that mean? I go to away games, but I'm fairweather about it? Nope, your logic has baffled me there.

You often fail to understand the concept of truth, so don't go about claiming you know what it is, let alone consider the fact you are obviously speaking it. I am offering an OPINION on Naylor's article, and on his attitude. I may not be in the majority with my opinion, and I am fine with that, but I am not offering my words as fact, nor do I fully expect to be in the majority about what I am saying either.

My foul and abusive language towards you is a proportionate repsonse to my dislike of the preaching of racism - something I acknowledge you haven't done on this thread yet, but do so often preach on others. Your stalking of me throughout the board - and you do unnecessarily comment on the most banal things I say - is quite disturbing.

However, in future, I will try and abuse you only when you have been abusive first. Deal?
:clap: deal

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree with everything he has said, particularly the part about DK raising unrealistic expectations. I know he is just trying to increase season ticket renewals but frankly his little speech on Saturday was gut wrenching. He didn't come up with any single reason to renew other than to make him happy on his birthday. I thought it was a sad misplaced plea to win over season ticket holders who have long since given up on him.

And for the record I am one who has just renewed for another three years, but I still feel he is way off the mark in terms of his approach.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have been quite critical of Andy on occasions in the past, but I think his reporting this year has been very good. Fair play to him for saying what he sees, up here in Manchester the local rags brown nose United for fear of being ostrasiced by Fergie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here