Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor STILL sucking off Barton

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Ever since Naylor lost his close ties with the club with regards to transfers etc he's become a complete irrelevance. Articles on the Argus are just re-hashes of any club statement/story and as such he has to try to be controversial to sell a few more papers/get some hits on the site. Any transfer news will be found on here first and a large proportion of any Argus 'scoops' are just lifting from social media. He used to be a good person to follow as he had a bit of clout but the reality is he's now just as knowledgeable as the rest of us. Also given the mass majority of his subscribers will be pro-Albion his recent anti-Albion rhetoric is both odd and annoying.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ever since Naylor lost his close ties with the club with regards to transfers etc he's become a complete irrelevance.

This bit is wrong, at least in some regards. Quite often when I get a call, it is clear from the content and timing of his Twitter output that Andy has had a very similar call. Paul Barber is far too shrewd to not make use of prominent local media when a message needs to be eased out to the masses.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I watched via the television. My first instinct was that Barton's studding was deliberate. Right or wrong- I don't know.

The only way to work it out is the length of time he held his studs on Kayal's leg. Was it part of one movement ? If so he can be given the benefit of the doubt. But it is the time he held his studs there and the force with which he held them. The slow motion replay has him guilty- but that is in slow motion. The Football League will hopefully find the answer.

Pity they didn't give Murphy in the Bolton match the benefit of the doubt earlier in the season!

Last edited:

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
This bit is wrong, at least in some regards. Quite often when I get a call, it is clear from the content and timing of his Twitter output that Andy has had a very similar call. Paul Barber is far too shrewd to not make use of prominent local media when a message needs to be eased out to the masses.

True, perhaps it was a little OTT, BUT if I were to follow one account on twitter it would definitely be NSC over Naylor.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Interesting point....although how prominent is the Evening Argus? Maybe online...but personally I only bother to look if someone has mentioned it on here

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Rubbish from Naylor again. I watched the replay and IMO Barton looks down directly at Kayals leg, then when he's lined up looks at the ball. I find it amazing when pundits say something was unintentional because a player is not looking directly at the opponent they are about to clatter. As though players have no spacial awareness.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Our Anthony needs to worry less about Barton and more about some of his own antics. Namely one of his first half challenges.

Others have talked about an incident in front of the West lower....I thought there was one on the other side of the pitch after which Joseph spent the next ten minutes whinging...but from what Ivecheard on here when Dyche was shown the incident by Sky it showed Knock got the ball

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Kayal could say little else.

To say otherwise would escalate the whole matter.

Not something the club really needs to be drawn into.

precisely. I seem to recall Beram showing Pawson the state of his leg, in response to Barton's protestations. He certainly didn't consider it unintentional during the game.
Neither did Dunk and Knockaert, when they confronted Barton near the North East corner after full time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Football League will hopefully find the answer.
Are they looking at it?

Surely Naylor is just trying to do his job - eg - generate debate/comment and Argus views ?
I live here and as a Brighton fan I must be a part of the demographic they target. What Naylor has done is make sure I will never buy the Argus. I haven't clicked on any link either.

He could easily create the debate/comment and Argus views by writing about the incident and getting it right. It was a big talking point and if he understood football and what happened and he wrote about that, someone would post what he'd said here and more of us would probably click on the link etc. He'd also have some credibility and sell more papers.

And Brighton fans on NSC are not too blinkered, there's plenty of criticism here when the team get things wrong and we wouldn't mind Naylor saying we got it wrong if we had. It's his complete lack of understanding of football that makes him a joke and makes me have no intention of buying a paper he writes for.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There weren't a huge number of other fouls. Dissent was just Joey WHINING that Kayal had the better of him.

There was a late challenge on Kayal, in the first half, where both players were flat out on the floor. Advantage was played because Murphy? was put through, and immediately wiped out. Two yellow card challenges in a row.. At least we got a free kick for that one.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Wow :eek:

While I'm not a fan of Naylor, I did assume he watched and understood the basics of football. If I'm being generous here, then maybe he's been told to write something controversial to spark debate despite the fact that he didn't get a chance to watch any footage.

Re "Barton, eyes fixed on the ball he was pursuing, hurdling Kayal and with nowhere to go landing on the influential Israeli's leg" - no Naylor, he had already fouled Kayal from behind and the whistle had gone, so Barton was no longer pursuing the ball at all. He also, very clearly, not only deliberately landed on Kayal's leg, but deliberately put all of his weight and momentum into it. If Naylor can't understand that, he doesn't understand football.
Yes, I'm going on the Sky footage.

"Barton", "with nowhere to go", well apart from the grassed areas either side of Kayals knee, that's true.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There was a late challenge on Kayal, in the first half, where both players were flat out on the floor. Advantage was played because Murphy? was put through, and immediately wiped out. Two yellow card challenges in a row.. At least we got a free kick for that one.

Did you see the ref even bother to speak to the player who took out Murphy?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Perhaps he and Dyche both took the red pill?
He's wrong. His ability to analyse is zero.
He's a cock. And he's wrong again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You mean the one in front of the west stand where he lunged at the ball, got the ball and only the ball, with said ball between him and the opposition player, and was not in danger of making contact with the opposition player?

Don't know. But he went in two footed with both sets of studs showing. The challenge I'm referring to had him close to making contact. It was reckless and had me sighing with relief. He would have been on his way.......... as Barton Rules don't apply to him.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Barton should have had at least a yellow for the first challenge on Kayal which lead to the stamp, regardless of intent the stamp was dangerous play and most refs would have brandished a straight red. At best the elbow is a yellow and again a lot of refs would have given a straight red. So he could have had 2 straight reds and 2 yellows to think he wasn't even booked is astounding. My unbiased opinion watching it live was a straight red for the stamp and a yellow for the elbow having seen them both back I haven't changed my mind. Its a funny old game. I remember when we played Burnley in 2011 and Pawson sent off Barnes and Vincelot, the fourth official telling the ref to send one of them off. Never seen that before, where were the other officials during this game both the elbow and the stamp were right in front of the lino and the 4th Official?

I guess we got the rub of the green with the ball over the line, but 10 v 11 I don't think we would have conceded either, still feel depressed about the game... Hey ho.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I guess we got the rub of the green with the ball over the line, but 10 v 11 I don't think we would have conceded either
That 'ball over the line' was following a long pass from Barton down our their right wing. He shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did some quick number crunching and it turns out that if you ignore Andy Naylor entirely your life is improved 100%. And, as I was taught to always show my working:

Life - Bellends = Good.
:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here