Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor sticks the knife in - and he's right

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Was less than impressed with the appointment of Hyppia. When his assistant said he wasnt coming with him I started to really fear. Onwards and upwards now. Hopefully.

It's taken you nearly six years but you've finally made an Albion related post. Well done. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Some of that article looks curiously familiar. Great minds etc. :lol:

Andy Naylor 5th May 2015

'Sami Hyypia played a huge role in Albion's Championship survival. By falling on his sword in the nick of time. It is just as well the Finn ignored the blind faith of the board. If he had listened to them there is every chance Albion would have been relegated.'

THPP 3rd May 2015

In the end we actually owe Sami Hyypia quite a lot. ... Hyypia also did the highly honourable thing by resigning before Christmas. Thereby forcing Bloom's hand. Else we'd probably still have Burke and Hyypia in situ, and we'd already be in League One next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Andy Naylor 5th May 2015

'Sami Hyypia played a huge role in Albion's Championship survival. By falling on his sword in the nick of time. It is just as well the Finn ignored the blind faith of the board. If he had listened to them there is every chance Albion would have been relegated.'

THPP 3rd May 2015

Andy Naylor is Tom Hark, Preston Park? Wow.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Andy Naylor 5th May 2015

THPP 3rd May 2015

There's clearly a rash of anonymous ghostwriting going on at the moment - it even appears to be spreading. Unlike some of them - no name, no packdrill - at least this one's a bit more subtle.

sneakychef

Oct 28, 2004
Stroud Green
For the love of God, can someone tell him he's allowed to write the occasional paragraph made up of more than one sentence?

Or for that matter write in actual sentences?

"Sami Hyypia played a huge role in Albion's Championship survival.

By falling on his sword in the nick of time.

It is just as well the Finn ignored the blind faith of the board.

If he had listened to them there is every chance Albion would have been relegated.

There was no burning desire at boardroom level to remove Hyypia."

There's writing for the web and then there's publishing what looks like the notes he made before he wrote the article...

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I keep reading this and I can never understand it ?
The club is full of senior staff who love the Albion and are lifelong fans and/or people who've worked in football all their life so clearly have a wide knowledge of the game (even if you dispute their effectiveness) .
So who ? And Why ?

It was a reference to all the board members appointed by the chairman. None of the non-execs (Messrs Sugarman, Franks and Godfrey) are lifelong fans and none has any experience of working in football; all are finance men. The two executive salary-earning members wouldn't have been appointed if they didn't have finance / football experience but neither has any connection with the Albion (nothing wrong with that in itself) and, in the case of one of them, no connection with a football club remotely like the Albion.

I am not criticising these people - they are what they are. But my original point about the trajectory of the club does stand.

(Incidentally, you ask for names. May I return the question? Can you tell us who the chairman has appointed who are "senior staff who love the Albion and are lifelong fans and/or people who've worked in football all their life"?)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and the rest of the board are bloody clueless when it comes to football. Don't worry, Tony Bloom reminded Martin Perry at the dinner awards that he's still got to build the £50m hotel before he retires.

It's plain to see that neither of them have any interest in football at all,Bloom is just using the Albion to increase a property portfolio,as for Barber,I'm ****ed if I know what his motive is.

:ffsparr: my word....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It was a reference to all the board members appointed by the chairman. None of the non-execs (Messrs Sugarman, Franks and Godfrey) are lifelong fans and none has any experience of working in football; all are finance men. The two executive salary-earning members wouldn't have been appointed if they didn't have finance / football experience but neither has any connection with the Albion (nothing wrong with that in itself) and, in the case of one of them, no connection with a football club remotely like the Albion.

I am not criticising these people - they are what they are. But my original point about the trajectory of the club does stand.

(Incidentally, you ask for names. May I return the question? Can you tell us who the chairman has appointed who are "senior staff who love the Albion and are lifelong fans and/or people who've worked in football all their life"?)

The Head of media is a lifelong fan, the head of marketing went to the goldstone as a youngster, the head of commercial set up his own football club, and the CEO has worked in football for decades, and the chairman has supported the club all his life. Anyone else ?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
He might be right but would even Sami have done as bad in the last 9 games? I'd say when he was there relegation was about 50/50 and on top of that, even Sami might have got us more points than the Wall and the Gan and the Pool achieved.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well I disagree with Naylor.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There's clearly a rash of anonymous ghostwriting going on at the moment - it even appears to be spreading. Unlike some of them - no name, no packdrill - at least this one's a bit more subtle.

Surely someone hasn't handed Hove Born and Breds musings in as a school Project and been expelled as an embarrassment to education ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm still not convinced that SH "fell on his sword". I think, publicly, the board were backing him but privately they were negotiating with him to leave; give him the chance to quit before being sacked.

Pure speculation on my part but there is a big part of me that's hoping beyond belief that the people in charge of this club weren't so blinded by 'statistics' as to ignore the farce going on all around them.

I agree.

Surely Bloom & Co could see the abysmal crap in front of them and more importantly realise that we were on a one way trajectory. And it wasn't in an upwards direction.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tony jetted off to Australia, and clearly wasn't expecting to be interviewing managers when he left.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The Head of media is a lifelong fan, the head of marketing went to the goldstone as a youngster, the head of commercial set up his own football club, and the CEO has worked in football for decades, and the chairman has supported the club all his life. Anyone else ?

In response to a point of yours I asked what senior staff the chairman had appointed "who loved the Albion and/or had worked in football all their life". You came up with one Albion supporter appointed by the chairman (incidentally, the Head of Marketing was actually a STH at Withdean) and two people who, unsurprisingly for people given jobs at a football club, had experience of working in the, um, football industry.

I am not saying that the chairman should recruit only paid-up members of the Official Supporters Club, or people in ownership of bobble hats, but only that he should consider appointing more people around him who know and understand football in general and this football club in particular and perhaps fewer who have no connection with the club or even much of an interest in football itself.

I'm sure a few supporters might agree with this, although I didn't really expect you to.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Gotcha. Is there anyone already at the club who you think meets this criteria ?

I am sure there are one or two either side of the boardroom door. And without pointing fingers, it's a crying shame that greater use can't be made of the club president.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here