Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think you've just answered your own question.

We took 7,000 to MK Dons, made a racket, supported the team, and generally did ourselves proud. In comparison, the Amex is a library. There isn't a reason why we can't re-create that noise at the Amex - yet we don't.

As for thinking you've been 'slagged off', what part of his article makes you feel that?

I was reacting more to the Twitter feed than the article. Yes he goes on about how important the Burnley game is etc, but the crux of it, he's saying the Amex support is poor. I agree it's dipped, but it's not poor imo and I don't understand the timing. A good 'get behind the team' piece a day before the game is what's needed. Not an article on how poor the Amex support is. Then if it improves, what then? When will the 'Amex support is excellent' piece be published? I think the accusation is actually a little damaging to ticket sales. If a casual supporter were mad enough to part with 30-42 quid, after reading that the crowd is quiet at the Amex, isn't going to help.
Just my view lads.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think you've just answered your own question.

We took 7,000 to MK Dons, made a racket, supported the team, and generally did ourselves proud. In comparison, the Amex is a library. There isn't a reason why we can't re-create that noise at the Amex - yet we don't.

As for thinking you've been 'slagged off', what part of his article makes you feel that?

Almost by definition, the away support are the most dedicated fans and therefore most likely to make a row and keep it going. And at an away ground they're all in one area. Put those 7,000 together at the Amex and you'd get the same effect only more so with adjoining sections joining in.

But as they're probably spread around all areas of the Amex, the impact is diffused.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Speaking as someone who has sat near the real Andy Naylor in the press box, I have to agree that the atmosphere at the Reading game was poor and the Sun journo sat behind me (who is their main Football League guy, so covers a lot of Championship games) actually commented on how negative the crowd were. I thought the North Stand was noticeably quieter than against Sheffield Wednesday.

I agree on this point. For some reason, everything about the Reading game was low key. NSC was quiet on the build-up to the game, the pub pre-game was all a bit muted, as was the train over to Falmer and then the WSU concourse immediately ahead of the match. Maybe it was nerves, or maybe everyone was just fed up of the run of hassle-filled evening games. Regardless, I agree, everything about the Reading game in particular was a bit 'meh'.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
is the Amex a hotbed of football fever every week, no, it is not. It is hardly a library though and it does compare very favourably to other stadiums in the championship. We can and should do better but I do not buy into this we are crap nonsense.

You want to see a library, go to Cardiff, amd see what a sh*t atmosphere really looks like.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's a complete non-issue. We've never had very noisy crowds, not at the Goldstone, certainly not at Withdean and not at the Amex. But we're no better nor worse than any other Championship side. I can't say I've been anywhere that's been a cauldron of noise home or away for years.

Andy Naylor clearly has had problems with Brighton fans for some time now and he has a very thin skin too. This is just one of his periodic pops at us. Big deal. I'll still be watching the Albion long after he's nothing but a slightly unpleasant memory. Best to ignore him.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I was reacting more to the Twitter feed than the article. Yes he goes on about how important the Burnley game is etc, but the crux of it, he's saying the Amex support is poor. I agree it's dipped, but it's not poor imo and I don't understand the timing. A good Mget behind the team' piece a day before the game is what's needed. Not an article on how poor the Amex support is. Then if it improves, what then? When will the 'Amex support is excellent' piece be published. I think the accusation is actually a little damaging to ticket sales. If a casual supporter were mad enough to is part with 30-42 quid, after reading that the crowd is quiet at the Amex, isn't going to help.
Just my view lads.

That's the third time you've said you don't understand the timing. When is the right to to pick a given topic? For him, it's now because that's how he feels it is. And I'd suggest it's on the back ofthe visit to MK Dons (though I take [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s point about Home v Away support). And he's in the 'privileged' position of being detached from it in the Press Box to comment.

I also don't see that it's going to affect ticket sales. Sky have already inflicted that level of damage on them as it is. Naylor's not making it worse - he's throwing out a challenge. Well, he's not, but that's how some may well perceive it.

Is he shit-stirring? Of course not. It's the level to which people are taking this criticism personally that's the story now.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is The Amex a hotbed of football fever every week? No, it is not. It is hardly a library though and it does compare very favourably to other stadiums in the championship. We can and should do better but I do not buy into this we are crap nonsense.

You want to see a library, go to [insert name of any one of at least 70 clubs that would love to have The Amex's home fans' atmosphere], and see what a sh*t atmosphere really looks like.
This.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I beg to differ, one the last couple of televised Palace games the whole atmosphere has seemed noticeably louder with wide participation. Could be TV, but seems that way. We, on the other hand, are always limited at home and the away end always seem to be louder and constant.

Not sure if I've watched their last couple of games, but the last one I did see was the same old group in the corner jumping up and down every time the camera got near them, and no singing from the rest of the ground. They would've been lucky to get 15,000 when they weren't doing so well in the Championship either.

I don't think the away end is always louder at Falmer either. Like Bozza mentioned, the majority of away fans are there to have a piss up and a good old sing song. But, I've sat in the south stand for a few games this season, right next to the away fans, and I've heard the North Stand singing more than the aways! The Boro game sticks out.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yes, I think there's certainly a calculated element to that. He's a journalist, he wouldn't be doing his job otherwise.

No more than any other person on here about any given Albion subject.

His position as a journalist gives him some level of privilege - insofar as he is read by a wider audience - but at the end of the day, it's not as though he's particularly influential. Nor is his 'paper' that he writes for.

We could well pick up his theme in this week's Roar, and I wouldn't be in total disagreement with him. Would I be shit-stirring? Probably not, but then, hardly anyone in comparison listens in, and those who don't take our show that seriously enough that it matters. We're offering an opinion - so is he.

In the end, you're right - it's a non-issue. It becomes an issue if / when the fans do something about it. Or sing 'Andy Naylor is a wanker...'

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I agree on this point. For some reason, everything about the Reading game was low key. NSC was quiet on the build-up to the game, the pub pre-game was all a bit muted, as was the train over to Falmer and then the WSU concourse immediately ahead of the match. Maybe it was nerves, or maybe everyone was just fed up of the run of hassle-filled evening games. Regardless, I agree, everything about the Reading game in particular was a bit 'meh'.

Certain opposition teams have the effect of making you feel completely 'meh' in the build up. Reading FC are very much one of those teams. (for me anyway) The adrenaline doesn't exactly go into overdrive.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No more than any other person on here about any given Albion subject.

His position as a journalist gives him some level of privilege - insofar as he is read by a wider audience - but at the end of the day, it's not as though he's particularly influential. Nor is his 'paper' that he writes for.

We could well pick up his theme in this week's Roar, and I wouldn't be in total disagreement with him. Would I be shit-stirring? Probably not, but then, hardly anyone in comparison listens in, and those who don't take our show that seriously enough that it matters. We're offering an opinion - so is he.

In the end, you're right - it's a non-issue. It becomes an issue if / when the fans do something about it. Or sing 'Andy Naylor is a wanker...'

I think there's a lot of history between Naylor and us fans and I honestly don't think the animosity is entirely one-sided. He's had a pop at us before and no doubt he will again but as I said to someone else - we're 2nd in the table, we've an excellent chance of getting promoted to the PL, yet Naylor can't find anything to discuss regarding that? He'd rather discuss the atmosphere at the Amex? Pah. Best ignore him. He'll be gone soon enough anyway.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I think this was it myself, third home one on the spin.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've often defended Naylor on here because – as much as people don't like to hear what he's got to say –*he's doing his job. I've not read the article – I haven't given that rag the satisfaction of a click or purchase since 22nd August last year – but I did see his tweet yesterday and thought it a bit odd. I'm not one to get hung up on the atmosphere in a stadium. I know that the players say it helps them, but the Emirates is notorious for being relatively quiet, and they seem to be doing alright.

This thread highlights that his assumed opinion is shared by some on here. Yes Reading was a bit flat, but there have been many occasions when the atmosphere has been great. I don't see what the problem is - we're second in the league, and it's not based on decibels reached by the fans in the stands!

Having said all that, I'm guessing what his point(s) is/are. It's probably designed to create a bit of debate and more paper sales, which – in fairness – it has done on here, at least.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The Amex can sound a bit stale. No worse than places like the Emirates and the Ethihad though. But untill safe standing is introduced, this will be the case up and down the country.

You seem to be suggesting that it is new stadia that ruin atmosphere. Do you go to away games in the cavernous old grounds where fans make even less noise than we do? I can't recall the last away game where the atmosphere was better than the Amex (other than play off away at Palarse). Ipswich, Birmingham, Bristol, Preston and on and on - near silence. Even Milwall last year was like a church.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Firstly, I don't think the atmosphere is that bad. Sometimes it's very good.

But, the problem is is that it isn't as good as the first couple of seasons. In those seasons, the West Stand sang a lot more and was louder. It's really dipped up there. When they used to sing, the rest of the ground would join in and it sounded brilliant. I remember when the bigger teams came down and sang their club anthems, (West Ham sticks out) and the West would drown them out with booing and whistling. That doesn't happen anymore, almost like they can't be bothered.

From my bit in the North, we sing just as much as we did in the first couple of seasons.

Here are some things that I think can hinder the support:

It seems as though the back 6 or 7 rows of the North are constant singers. The rest hardly ever join in. So, there are not enough singers in the North, the rest are spread out around the ground.

Safe standing would have an effect, but that's not allowed atm.

The away fans are nowhere near the North, so you won't get anywhere near the level of "banter" that we had at Reading.

There are a number of North Stand singing groups not together, so sometimes we have different songs going on at the same time, and therefor not being able to belt out one of them all together.

I don't mean to be ageist, but we don't have a large amount of 16-30 year olds in our support like other clubs do. These are generally the sort of people that get a bit boisterous and like a sing. That's down to the lost generation, so it won't be rectified for some time.

Price of match day tickets. We are not going pick up many new "North Stand Goldstone" types with £28 per match tickets. I think a group of low income lads would think that was too dear, even with the free travel, which they may or may not use. I think my ST is great value, but most brand new fans aren't going to by a ST without seeing what it's like a few times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here