Naylor is right...aim is promotion or not promotion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 14, 2010
Exactly. The article is entitled Talking Point: Albion's season reaches a crossroads

It has got the fans talking, which was the point of the article.

read my posts. The talking point is fine, the quality of his article, well frankly its shockingly bad. In essence Naylors take is "unless we buy Messi, then New fans will drift away (whoever they are, see my comments above and on the thread about the kids wearing shirts around sussex). If that really is the best he can do then really the argus has to think whether they can find others who can do a better job. Its shockingly dreadful. I would have a team of knowledgable people about the Albion take it in turn for a fee.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
read my posts. The talking point is fine, the quality of his article, well frankly its shockingly bad. In essence Naylors take is "unless we buy Messi, then New fans will drift away (whoever they are, see my comments above and on the thread about the kids wearing shirts around sussex). If that really is the best he can do then really the argus has to think whether they can find others who can do a better job. Its shockingly dreadful. I would have a team of knowledgable people about the Albion take it in turn for a fee.

This is not the essence of the article. You've interpreted it as such, and interpreted it badly.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
I think we do have the players to make serious push for the promised land, but injuries are costing us big time. we never get a settled side which makes it hard for the players to form understandings.
I know this has been debated on many occasions but still don't understand why we so many injury problems, can't all be down to bad luck surely?
Also the stubborn refusal to ever play 2 up front or at least get more runners from midfield breaking quickly forward to support Leo, far to often he is completely isolated.
At times I wish we set up to win home games and not just try and nick it somehow.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Gus attributed the improvement in muscle injuries last year mostly to improved conditioning rather than any changes to the pitch. With the turnover in the summer then it is remotely feasible that this may have had a small impact until the new guys get used to it.

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
We'll get a play-off place, not worried. I think a lot of players and agents are asking for to much and I don't blame bloom for standing up to them.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
That's my take too. Frustrated at both the lack of service and his currently poor first touch when the ball comes to feet.
I don't think he has looked the same player since his red card at Reading. On his comeback from his suspension he didn't seem the same player even running (jogging) out before the game he did not look fit, just looked that way to me anyway.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He has just come back from a broken foot.

Think Golddene was referring to the Sheff Wed game when he returned from suspension, and when he broke his foot after about an hour. I do remember him being clear and failing to get the ball under control, largely because he was so slow. He is slow. This has been accentuated by his injury. His lack of pace, however, is his only real fault. I don't buy the comments that have been made on NSC that his commitment to the club is flagging. I'm confident that he'll bag a load over the next 20 games.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I still think Tony Bloom is waiting to see if and what punishment is handed out due to FFP,if,as many believe FFP proves to be a toothless tiger then I Would imagine Tony will lump on large.

I don't think he would. TB has said that the target is for the club to at least break even operationally, and that he doesn't want to have to pump money into it forever. My take is that the arrival of FFP, with its declining levels of allowable operating loss as each season passes, has provided TB with an ideal external stimulus to back up his desire to get the club on an even keel operationally. If FFP fell away completely, I don't believe he'll lump on large. Just IMO, of course.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Well whatever happens in this transfer window we've only got around 10 days left to get it done, I reckon 2 more out and 4 in myself.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Does anybody else feel the pitch is at fault? Would be a shame as it looks in such great condition.

The pitch and over-watering it IMHO. Not sure the current training pitches are that great either.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Can't see Buckley going just yet, I know Sunderland bid for him but with the lack of funds Poyet has got I can't see them affording Bridcutt and Buckley in this window especially as they've got a desperate need for a new striker as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Dickenson from the development squad.

That's the two out. For what it's worth, I don't disagree with you on those two, although I think we should seriously listen to offers of over £2m for Buckley, which might make it three. More importantly, however, as you've identified the two out, I'm interested in you letting us know who the four in will be. Or is that just an unfair question?
If those three go, I'd replace them with three in this window:
a striker
a winger -- probably Conway
an attacking, and goal-scoring midfielder
If Buckley and Bridcutt go, we should have some money to spend. I'd favour Oscar spending it on some Spanish players.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
That's the two out. For what it's worth, I don't disagree with you on those two, although I think we should seriously listen to offers of over £2m for Buckley, which might make it three. More importantly, however, as you've identified the two out, I'm interested in you letting us know who the four in will be. Or is that just an unfair question?
If those three go, I'd replace them with three in this window:
a striker
a winger -- probably Conway
an attacking, and goal-scoring midfielder
If Buckley and Bridcutt go, we should have some money to spend. I'd favour Oscar spending it on some Spanish players.

Position wise a defender, attacking central midfielder, winger and striker. Other than Conway I wouldn't like to try and pluck any names out of the air although I'm wondering if we might go back in for that Brazilian midfielder we were looking at?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Position wise a defender, attacking central midfielder, winger and striker. Other than Conway I wouldn't like to try and pluck any names out of the air although I'm wondering if we might go back in for that Brazilian midfielder we were looking at?

Agree with you. He looked like he'd be able to fill the attacking, goal-scoring midfielder role I mentioned. I'd rather we just went for three, and bought better quality rather than the four you mention. I recognise that this constitutes a gamble, but I'd avoid the defender you mention. Upson has been ever-present, apart from when he's been rested, and Greer hasn't had too many injuries. Fingers crossed it remains that way. Dunk deserves another chance as back-up. Beyond that there's Maksimenko and I think that both Ward and Calderon could play at centre-back if needed. I'd rather we strengthen at centre-back in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports