Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor is right...aim is promotion or not promotion?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As at 30 June 2012, TB owned 77% and had lent the club £120m. Since then he has converted £40m of the loan into shares (giving him 91% ownership) and still has £80m of the loan outstanding at 30 June 2012. The loan amount will have increased since then, since TB committed in the June 2012 accounts to fund the losses for at least the next 13 months (which you have to do in order to get a clean audit report). It wouldn't surprise me if more of the loan gets converted to equity. TB has total control of the club.

Why didn't he step in while we at the Goldstone? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if the answer is simply that he didn't have the money back then. It's the simplest and most likely reason, unless one is trying to push an agenda....

Wasn't it also the case that if Archer had got a sniff of TB being in the wings then he would have made it harder for the board to get shot of him, hence he was the silent benefactor for some time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wasn't it also the case that if Archer had got a sniff of TB being in the wings then he would have made it harder for the board to get shot of him, hence he was the silent benefactor for some time.

I've heard the same thing, but I don't know that to be the case.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've heard the same thing, but I don't know that to be the case.

I think there's something on it in "We want Falmer". Can't be certain.

I do seem to remember in the seasons following Dick Knight's takeover, people were genuinely surprised to discover that Archer was still a shareholder. Not sure which year he finally relinquished his shares.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I do seem to remember in the seasons following Dick Knight's takeover, people were genuinely surprised to discover that Archer was still a shareholder. Not sure which year he finally relinquished his shares.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I'm not sure Tony Bloom was on the scene then. A number of smaller investors were involved in buying Archer out including Chris Kidger from Friday ad, and Bill Brown who had made money from reinsurance.

Following the take over in 1997, archer had 1.5m of shares and knight / pinnock had the same (49.5% each). Martin Perry held 1%. In the end archer sold up for 700k in the early 2000s as the continued campaign against hom was impacting his attempt to but wickes.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I know everyone has their own opinion but I do think there is a general mistrust of Barber amongst fans.

I find his programme notes quite patronising and he comes across as a businessman first and football man second. No bad thing in some ways but it does reinforce the view that his first concern is profit generation for his boss and playing success is a side effect of this need.

Season ticket prices are clearly going up big time, we have all these silly membership schemes and the club is now on about building an hotel which seems to have baffled everyone.

The way to generate money is promotion to the PL and the way you do that is by buying players and putting a team and squad together capable of winning promotion. We know what we need to buy but Barber seems more concerned in defending the clubs balance sheet by selling before buying and focussing on cash generation.

Based on Brighton's income streams the only way to make the club truly profitable is by promotion and I for one think we should be spending money on trying to achieve that.

It has to be the club's main priority.

Feb 14, 2010
Andy Naylor has never understood the Albion. Just a few points:-

1. "New fans". As he only turned up at the Albion after/during the War Years wioth Archer, he cant recall 30000 crowds at the goldstone. The Amex will onthe whole be children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of those people.
2. "They will drift away". BHA get big crowds in the lower leagues. Always have. He has no evidence for this and therefore its an odd assertion.
3. "Is the aim promotion". Yes we are just off the play offs with a major injury crisis.

My question for Andy Naylor is twofold:-

1. When will he learn some history about this football club and
2. Why does he think its ok to demand to spend more of Tony Bloom's money.

My question for the argus is:-

1. When will you employ someone like John Vinecombe who actually understands the Albion?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given that Tony Bloom is a gambling man, I'll use a gambling analogy:

The Championship is like playing a big game of poker with 23 drunk mates who are getting carried away and betting far more than they can afford, and every now and again someone has to leave the table and walk home because they've just lost their car, or check into a hotel because they've just lost their house.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

1. "New fans". As he only turned up at the Albion after/during the War Years wioth Archer, he cant recall 30000 crowds at the goldstone. The Amex will onthe whole be children, grandchildren and great grandchildren of those people.
2. "They will drift away". BHA get big crowds in the lower leagues. Always have. He has no evidence for this and therefore its an odd assertion.
3. "Is the aim promotion". Yes we are just off the play offs with a major injury crisis.

1. When will you employ someone like John Vinecombe who actually understands the Albion?

Naylor has been around Brighton for a long time as he went to school here

Feb 14, 2010
Naylor has been around Brighton for a long time as he went to school here

So why the fook does he know so little about the Albion? This is but one of a series of ridiculous articles by the bloke. My questions remain. The argus in my view need to think how they cover the Albion. Does it need such a reporter. I think they could find a team of more knowledgable people than Andy Naylor who would write much better articles.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Where has he demanded that Bloom spend more money ???

Feb 14, 2010
Where has he demanded that Bloom spend more money ???

You know and I know that is the implied criticism. Naylor should be replaced by a team of different writers, all of whom with different perspectives and hopefully some knowledge of the Albion. I dont even read the argus online anymore. The only reason I did was for the Albion but I find NSC can be a better read if you sift through the wind ups ect. I think the Argus could cover the Albion (their biggest seller of papers and hits on their website) in a much better way. They just need to think about it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You know and I know that is the implied criticism. Naylor should be replaced by a team of different writers, all of whom with different perspectives and hopefully some knowledge of the Albion. I dont even read the argus online anymore. The only reason I did was for the Albion but I find NSC can be a better read if you sift through the wind ups ect. I think the Argus could cover the Albion (their biggest seller of papers and hits on their website) in a much better way. They just need to think about it.

Oh I see, he didn't really say that, you just interpreted it as an implied criticism.

What sentence are you referring to from the story below?

But you are right about sifting through the wind ups, I should know better.

Talking Point: Albion's season reaches a crossroads

In today's Albion analysis chief sports reporter Andy Naylor argues the season has reached a crossroads. Do you agree?

Here is a taste of what he wrote.

The 12 days remaining in the January transfer window will indicate how ambitious the hierarchy are to get promoted this season.

Or whether they are content with a more gradual climb towards the Premier League.

Many of the new and impatient fans now filling The Amex will be expecting the former. They may start drifting away if they are kept waiting for too long.

Longer-serving and more level-headed supporters will be satisfied with the latter, recognising the vast strides made by the club in recent years and the benefit of reaching the top flight once you are better equipped to remain there.

Slowly, slowly is fine - as long as you do not at the same time encourage unrealistic expectation. That places undue and unfair pressure on Oscar Garcia.

Chief executive Paul Barber's buzz phrase for the club has been 'Premier League ready'. Chairman Tony Bloom told a fans' forum at The Amex before a ball had been kicked he was certain Albion had a squad capable of promotion and that "we're not going to be happy" with a finish outside the play-offs.

So seventh, where the Seagulls are now, will not be good enough, working with a mid-table wage budget?

Albion have not acted so far during the January transfer window like a club entitled to expect a top six finish.

A striker comparable in standard to, or better, than Barnes is a must. Albion also have to compensate for the loss of Crofts' goals and box-to-box energy.

It will be risky to have three recognised centre-halves, instead of four, after El-Abd's departure and they should thrash out a deal with Poyet's Sunderland sooner rather than later to draw a line under the Bridcutt saga and reinvest the funds from his sale. It will not help Oscar to have a so obviously disenchanted player for the rest of the season.

A banana skin FA Cup tie against Micky Adams' Port Vale is up next, followed by two more tough away trips to Burnley and Watford.

The transfer window will be over by the time Albion return to The Amex against Doncaster. We will have a better idea by then whether finishing in the play-offs is a realistic target or wishful thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here