Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor is right...aim is promotion or not promotion?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Parents visiting their kids at the uni, people coming for conferences at the stadium (which this will enable there to be a lot more of), home and away fans from across the country. As well as this there will be plenty of people who can't get in a hotel anywhere else nearby. I'm getting married at the end of June and people are already finding it hard to find a room in Brighton.

Congrats on your impending nuptials - like I said in I clearly know nothing about the hotel industry looks like it will be packed!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Bloom is a property man, if its not going to make money then he wont progress it any further.

I agree. If he was running it with his head, he wouldn't be stumping up £8million a year to cover losses on top of the £130million plus he has basically given the club already.
I keep on hearing about the 130m and this is a genuine question
was all of the 130m stumped up by Tony Bloom or are there others involved?
if so who?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
if so who?

Pretty much Bloom bought the stadium / will buy the training ground.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
if so who?

All paid for by TB, along with £30 million to cover the losses for the last few years.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
so he is the sole owner of the whole club?
blimey!!!!!

and quite clearly has the Midas touch too.

Back to the thread title, I'm sure that our aim is promotion but then half the clubs in the division have the same aims and are throwing more money at it than us, which must diminish our chances. I hope we make the playoffs but I won't be unhappy if we kick off next season in this division, it's fun and the football is of a pretty good quality too. I am not obsessed with us going up, I just want to continue to enjoy watching the Albion, anything else is a bonus.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
so he is the sole owner of the whole club?
blimey!!!!!

Not what was said. He stepped-in to pretty much fund the stadium when the banks said No.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
and quite clearly has the Midas touch too.

Back to the thread title, I'm sure that our aim is promotion but then half the clubs in the division have the same aims and are throwing more money at it than us, which must diminish our chances. I hope we make the playoffs but I won't be unhappy if we kick off next season in this division, it's fun and the football is of a pretty good quality too. I am not obsessed with us going up, I just want to continue to enjoy watching the Albion, anything else is a bonus.

I understand that most on here see it that way. But what about the butterflies, who will flit away unless we are at least somewhere very close to the playoffs. No, we need to invest in the squad in THIS window. I'm sure Tony and co are aware of this.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not what was said. He stepped-in to pretty much fund the stadium when the banks said No.

pretty much what exactly does that mean
and a question I have asked on here before why was it he did not step in while the Goldstone was still in the hands of the club?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
and a question I have asked on here before why was it he did not step in while the Goldstone was still in the hands of the club?

Pretty much - Not all the money, but the vast majority came from Tony. OK?
The Goldstone - before his time.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Probably because he was a sort of unassuming sort of chap.

Indeed even now he is a delightful bloke and not (as could perhaps be expected) a Billy Big B------- !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Pretty much means that according to the accounts he was owed £121 million by the club at 30 June 2012, no monies were owed to any other directors.

In addition at the time he had put in a further £19 million via share purchases, so the total was £140 million.

SINCE then he has bankrolled the Lancing project and funded a further 18 months of losses, so I expect his total commitment is about £160 million in both shares and loans.

Jimmy Grimble

Pretty much means that according to the accounts he was owed £121 million by the club at 30 June 2012, no monies were owed to any other directors.

In addition at the time he had put in a further £19 million via share purchases, so the total was £140 million.

SINCE then he has bankrolled the Lancing project and funded a further 18 months of losses, so I expect his total commitment is about £160 million in both shares and loans.

But I WANT a new striker.

:rant:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

In his own words, he didn't have the level of assets available even up to the point that the planning permission was first granted. Whilst the delay from lewes council cost us the chance of a greater level of realistic bank funding, it actually gave time for Tony to accumulate enough wealth to step in

Given how life would be if we were now paying interest or if we'd securitized ticket sale income to pay back the bank, we should eternally be grateful to ldc and Norman baker for their prevarication.

We should be far more public about this because it would really stick in their throat to know they actually aided us building something bigger and better than the original plans!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

As at 30 June 2012, TB owned 77% and had lent the club £120m. Since then he has converted £40m of the loan into shares (giving him 91% ownership) and still has £80m of the loan outstanding at 30 June 2012. The loan amount will have increased since then, since TB committed in the June 2012 accounts to fund the losses for at least the next 13 months (which you have to do in order to get a clean audit report). It wouldn't surprise me if more of the loan gets converted to equity. TB has total control of the club.

Why didn't he step in while we at the Goldstone? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if the answer is simply that he didn't have the money back then. It's the simplest and most likely reason, unless one is trying to push an agenda....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

He was still a student in the Goldstone days was he not ? Or at least he'd only just finished college, and it was pre-fortune.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here