Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Naughty, naughty Dale Stephens

scooter1

How soon is now?
Having read the article, it sounds like he has a long standing ankle issue that may have put clubs off. Interesting read about his move to Burnley, primarily being based on previous discussion, and that he didn’t speak to the manager until after he signed. He did well for us and we have much to be grateful for. I wish him well(notwithstanding his stupid decision to get behind the wheel of his car after a drink)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, a very good player for us.

As has been said you need to think of the whole time he was with us, not just the last season

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Before we head off down the usual tired and undignified route, just a quick reminder:-

Without the likes of Stephens, Ryan, Propper and to a lesser extent Izquierdo et al, we absolutely do not get to Caicedo, Sanchez, Mac Allister, Mitoma.

Who in turn have us fans in touching distance of European football via The FA Cup AND the league.

Christ, some sensibility at last. Compared with Ali J etc? This is a joke yes?

Stephens was absolulety a driving force behind our promotion to the PL. I’m amazed people have either forgotten or are ignorant to his contribution under Hughton. Never the most glamorous or gifted player, many Championship clubs still identified Stephens as the workhorse of the midfield and the kind of player they jealously courted.

I’m not sure any fans expected Stephens (or the rest of the promoted squad for that matter) to set the PL alight and the fact he punched above his weight for so long to keep us up, says it all really.

I hope he sorts out his life and finds a decent role in the game.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Christ, some sensibility at last. Compared with Ali J etc? This is a joke yes?

Stephens was absolulety a driving force behind our promotion to the PL. I’m amazed people have either forgotten or are ignorant to his contribution under Hughton. Never the most glamorous or gifted player, many Championship clubs still identified Stephens as the workhorse of the midfield and the kind of player they jealously courted.

I’m not sure any fans expected Stephens (or the rest of the promoted squad for that matter) to set the PL alight and the fact he punched above his weight for so long to keep us up, says it all really.

I hope he sorts out his life and finds a decent role in the game.
Good post. For me things weren’t quite right from the point we got promotion but failed to go up as champions by blowing it in the last couple of games.
Knocky, stephens and a few others spent too much time celebrating, drinking and holding out for a much improved contract. Hughton was left preparing for PL not knowing who would be in the squad.

Nevertheless Dale held his own in the PL

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before we head off down the usual tired and undignified route, just a quick reminder:-

This thread is a year old. Did it head off down the usual undignified route?

Stephens was great for us and I'm sure he'll be remembered as such.

Without the likes of Stephens, Ryan, Propper and to a lesser extent Izquierdo et al, we absolutely do not get to Caicedo, Sanchez, Mac Allister, Mitoma.
Only one of those players helped get us promoted to the PL.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
stephens and a few others spent too much time celebrating, drinking and holding out for a much improved contract.
Speaking of the former Albion drinking gang, Stephens appears to be out in Portugal with Shane Duffy as we speak, looks like a bit of a lads' golf trip (not a criticism, he can do whatever he likes).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When I came here I was told he was a shite midfielder who only ever played the ball sideways. Didn't take many minutes of watching him before I understood it was all horseshit - very competent defensive playmaker and IMHO a better player than the more beloved Davy Pröpper. Too bad it went a little downhill for him after the Burnley move.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Speaking of the former Albion drinking gang, Stephens appears to be out in Portugal with Shane Duffy as we speak, looks like a bit of a lads' golf trip (not a criticism, he can do whatever he likes).
Two players who's career sadly somewhat nosedived after departing the Albion. Almost enough to make one turn to drink perhaps?

Oh hang on . . .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Two players who's career sadly somewhat nosedived after departing the Albion. Almost enough to make one turn to drink perhaps?

Oh hang on . . .
See also Bridcutt

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When I came here I was told he was a shite midfielder who only ever played the ball sideways. Didn't take many minutes of watching him before I understood it was all horseshit - very competent defensive playmaker and IMHO a better player than the more beloved Davy Pröpper. Too bad it went a little downhill for him after the Burnley move.
I always assumed the sideways thing was just a bit of a joke/meme. Didn’t realise people actually believed that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here