Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League June 2022

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
If it finished 14 years ago it is a perfect reference point for anyone in their late twenties or above. What, pray, do you regard as 'young'?

(asking for a friend who's an OAP)

Like I said, if Swannie was mid twenties and the competition finished 14 years ago then it seems a peculiar reference.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think any of it is important in the slightest, but agree, the test match is far more entertaining/engaging, even the bit when they pan past Mr & Mrs May in the members area. Presume Major is there somewhere as well.

I've never really been a fan of cricket (I'll tend to watch the 1 hr highlights show on test matches) but the few times I have played or been to watch, I find it the epitome of boring.

However, a few years back I decided I needed a hat for Summer Holidays. Now I have some self respect and STANDARDS (see another thread on NSC) and consequently a baseball cap, beanie or similar were out for a gentleman of my maturity. I spent a few months trying on various hats in Gentleman's outfitters and finally settled on a particularly stylish Panama, and at over £50 it bloody well should be classy.

I don't regret the choice or purchase and have worn it at various places (mainly around the Mediterranean). But each time I put it on, I wonder if I should join a cricket club as I would fit in perfectly and I am capable of getting quietly pissed, whilst taking no account of my surroundings.

What do you think ???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don’t bother with friendlies

Nothing wrong with friendlies. You usually get to see some new players, maybe a new formation, and the boys on the pitch can relax a bit and have some more fun and provide some less efficient entertaining rather than the uber result oriented competitive football. Not very exciting but honest stuff. It is what it is.

This freak of nature "league" however... it isn't what it is. Players, coaches, viewers etc are expected to pretend to give a shit and that there is some sort of glory at stake.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Nothing wrong with friendlies. You usually get to see some new players, maybe a new formation, and the boys on the pitch can relax a bit and have some more fun and provide some less efficient entertaining rather than the uber result oriented competitive football. Not very exciting but honest stuff. It is what it is.

This freak of nature "league" however... it isn't what it is. Players, coaches, viewers etc are expected to pretend to give a shit and that there is some sort of glory at stake.

The Nations league isnt really for the bigger teams, its for the smaller teams to play fixtures against each with something at risk and a chance to improve - like the Conference league

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've never really been a fan of cricket (I'll tend to watch the 1 hr highlights show on test matches) but the few times I have played or been to watch, I find it the epitome of boring.

However, a few years back I decided I needed a hat for Summer Holidays. Now I have some self respect and STANDARDS (see another thread on NSC) and consequently a baseball cap, beanie or similar were out for a gentleman of my maturity. I spent a few months trying on various hats in Gentleman's outfitters and finally settled on a particularly stylish Panama, and at over £50 it bloody well should be classy.

I don't regret the choice or purchase and have worn it at various places (mainly around the Mediterranean). But each time I put it on, I wonder if I should join a cricket club as I would fit in perfectly and I am capable of getting quietly pissed, whilst taking no account of my surroundings.

What do you think ???

I spent a few months trying on various hats in Gentleman's outfitters and finally settled on a particularly stylish Panama, and at over £50 it bloody well should be classy.

What do you think ???

It’s a start, but you have a way to go yet…

1246e97df8c895a8193462d0fbc728ab.jpg

0dd269373589e4157f683c863089feb0.jpg

3c92f4c1bb70a3352311876b59eb08c4.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The kids allowed in heard booing 'the knee', which England players observed.

Rather disturbing.

Doesn't sound great.

Makes me think about when Sparta Prague played against Rangers early this season. Was supposed to be in an empty stadium because the Sparta fans had done monkey sounds against some Monaco player in the CL/EL qualifiers, but eventually UEFA took the decision to allow kids under 13 into the stadium... and they booed the black players for 90 minutes. Shocking.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The kids allowed in heard booing 'the knee', which England players observed.

Rather disturbing.

Unfortunately Eastern Europe is culturally still years behind the West, so if that’s what the parents still think it will filter down to the kids.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unfortunately Eastern Europe is culturally still years behind the West, so if that’s what the parents still think it will filter down to the kids.

I'm pretty sure I heard quite a lot of England fans boo the knee last summer.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I really don’t enjoy watching England under Southgate. He’s given us some great memories and can’t argue with how well we have done in last 2 competitions but it doesn’t make it any better to watch!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
England really are atrocious to watch. The game plan seems to be 'keep the ball for as long as possible and hope we get a penalty or a goal from a set piece'. Go a goal down and it's curtains.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
England really are atrocious to watch. The game plan seems to be 'keep the ball for as long as possible and hope we get a penalty or a goal from a set piece'. Go a goal down and it's curtains.

This. We are so uninspired in midfield and create next to nothing unless from a corner. Something needs to change system wise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here