Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] National stadiums of the British Isles

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know old timers don't like anything modern but Wembley is beautiful and is hands down one of the most aesthetically pleasing stadiums in the world. Iconic stadium up there with the Nou Camp and San Siro for iconic football stadiums

???

I found the new Wem ber le to be terrific. I also love the Amex and consider the passing of the Goldstone (setting aside the disgraceful sale without contingency) to be a blessing in disguise :shrug:

(I'm 62).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Vote here for the old Hampden Park which was decrepit but absolutely massive. Went to one Scotland England match with my dad that had near enough 140,000 fans roaring away. Astounding atmosphere. I think it was the same year I went there with my brother to watch Queen's Park v Partick Thistle with about 200 fans rattling around inside that big old ground :lol:

A mate of mine did a gig at Hampden, sent me a photo from the stage during sound check, it's quite a big place.

The attendance of 149,415 for the Scotland vs. England international match of 1937 at Hampden Park is also a European record. The attendance of 147,365 for the 1937 Scottish Cup Final between Celtic and Aberdeen at Hampden Park is a European record for a club match. Rangers' record attendance of 118,567 at Ibrox is a British record for a league match.

nowhere else comes close size wise.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
A mate of mine did a gig at Hampden, sent me a photo from the stage during sound check, it's quite a big place.

The attendance of 149,415 for the Scotland vs. England international match of 1937 at Hampden Park is also a European record. The attendance of 147,365 for the 1937 Scottish Cup Final between Celtic and Aberdeen at Hampden Park is a European record for a club match. Rangers' record attendance of 118,567 at Ibrox is a British record for a league match.

Also the record for a floodlit game in Europe was at Hampden Park

135,000 Celtic v Leeds Utd

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Old Hampden was immense when standing - unsafe but amazing, new one not so good. Last time was QoS vs Rangers in cup final. Couldn’t even believe we were there and C 25% of Dumfries and Galloway was there that day

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Cardiff City stadium suits Wales very well for run of the mill internationals, it’s about the right size to get near capacity attendances for most games. Their pricing is pretty good too, adult tickets are £20, children are a fiver. It does it’s job and the crowd is usually pretty lively.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
1) Wembley - Soulless and a pig to get to but its still Wembley
2) Avila Stadium - It's nice enough, saw Cork City there but the small end is weird. Croke Park is much better.
3) Windsor park - Went in the 80's bomb went off up the road, but hell of an atmosphere.
4) Cardiff - Like that its in the CC and a great day on our visit facilities aren't all that.
5) Hampden - Everything about it is crap. Miles out, hideous view, horrible facilities and stupid dressed locals. England beat em both times I went mind :lol:

Having walked from Glasgow Central to Hampden ,it's a hike.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Quite possibly 200,000 at the White Horse Final of 1923, the scenes are astonishing. Plus Scots have often said that 10,000's extra bunked in at Hampden at many Auld Enemy and Old Firm matches.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Lord's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here