Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Rail Journey Planner advice for Saturday 18.10.2014

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If you can get to Redhill for 12.45 you can catch the Seagull Travel coach from there. Gets back about 18.30

Good call, might well do that as I normally get to Redhill by 10:25 am on the service from Reading.

Only problem is what to do in Redhill for 2.5 hours on a Saturday morning - normally I like to get to Brighton or Lewes for opening time but it's a bit too early for my normal beverage.

Edit; There's also a pick-up in Guildford which could be even more convenient ( rather spend the morning in Guildford than Redhill ! )

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've often walked from Waterloo to Blackfriars. It's a short and pleasant walk which connects to the Thameslink. It can be of great use during London railworks.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
OK guys, I've just booked a seat on the Seagulls Travel ST5 bus from Guildford Cricket Club at 12:15 pm. As I normally get the 09:04 Reading - Gatwick service pick-up shouldn't be a problem, but somehow it just won't quite feel like a normal matchday getting off at Guildford.

Now my usual Guildford watering hole is the Three Pigeons at the top of the High St. but this won't be open early enough, so can anyone recommend a venue nearer the Cricket Club ( I have had a pleasant meal in the cafe in the Friary Centre before so may just plonk myself there if the weathers poor ).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What nonsense. Wouldn't happen in Germany

so what happens when they need to pull up a stretch of track or rebuild/repair a bridge or tunnel? i'm pretty sure they shut the line and divert around adding hours to journey times, but stand to be corrected.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good call, might well do that as I normally get to Redhill by 10:25 am on the service from Reading.

Only problem is what to do in Redhill for 2.5 hours on a Saturday morning - normally I like to get to Brighton or Lewes for opening time but it's a bit too early for my normal beverage.

Edit; There's also a pick-up in Guildford which could be even more convenient ( rather spend the morning in Guildford than Redhill ! )

What about The Drummond on Woodbridge Rd by cricket ground. There is always Wetherspoons on the 1 way sytem and walk back to the cricket ground.

Jul 7, 2003
Will The Sussex Bus Co or Metro Buses accept ST on their buses to Brighton.

Not sure about Metro as they are the same group as B&H Buses - Sussex Bus definitely won't accept STs.

BINNEYS BOOTS

Aug 22, 2008
From London/East Croydon you could train to Uckfield then bus to Lewes or straight to the Amex, no. 29 bus every15 mins.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
What about The Drummond on Woodbridge Rd by cricket ground. There is always Wetherspoons on the 1 way sytem and walk back to the cricket ground.

It would have to be a damn quick one, they only open at 12.00 and the bus leaves at 12:15.

What worries me is that it looks an excellent stopping off point for when the bus gets back, but unfortunately I've got to get back to the train station to carry on to Reading. I think I'll have to resign myself to being 'on the wagon' tomorrow ( at least as far as The Three Guineas, or Newbury Market place ), and leave The Drummond for another day.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Have you ever seen 300-400 passengers ( who've all arrived within a few minutes at Three Bridges ) attempt to board a double decker only capable of carrying 72 people, ( and that's before you consider all the passengers from Gatwick accompanied by humungous amounts of luggage and the Crawley residents desperate to get somewhere more exciting for the day ).

Let's just pray they never do works between Brighton and Lewes on a match day because the carnage at the Bus Park will have to be seen to be believed.

The last time this happened to me was during the Withdean years. I had to stand all the way, including going at 55mph down the A23. Then the driver refused to stop at the bottom of Tongdean Lane because he was ' fast ' ( allegedly ). Consequently I ended up at Brighton Station and had to get a taxi back to Withdean. I missed the first 20 minutes of the first half against C*****l P****e. Naturally this was a Sunday and the kick-off had been moved to 12:15pm for the benefit of Sky and the misguided oafs who follow that aforementioned team. I promised myself I would never repeat the process, even though apparently it was so I could ' Believe In Better '.

Been on the replacement buses a few times recently. There's usually plenty at Three Bridges, some stopping at all stations, some direct.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Classic, post of the day.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So no trains between either Haywards Heath and Brighton OR Haywards Heath and Lewes, when 25,000 people are heading to a football stadium.

Why on earth are they working on BOTH lines on the same day?

Well done everybody!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why on earth are they working on BOTH lines on the same day?

the work is immediatly south of HH, where its still ONE line.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
the work is immediatly south of HH, where its still ONE line.

Well they certainly chose the right day to dig up that particular little section of track.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What a clever p..t It is not much good turning up at HH station at 1.30 and the last one left at 1.20.

I'm constantly astounded that for one with so clearly little common sense you've managed to master turning on a PC, loading a website, registering for said website, remembered your log in details and manage to type anything on here.

The mind really baffles.

Do you walk along in front of cars waiving flags to warn pedestrians too?

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Well they certainly chose the right day to dig up that particular little section of track.

Railway engineering works are arranged months before the fixture list comes out, you would be
better off blaming the FA for giving us a home fixture when there are works being carried out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here