Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Flags

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Idea for a Sunday afternoon, and probably been suggested before, BUT, got thinking of this yesterday with all the flags that looked good. Seeing as we are now a cosmopolitan team, would be good to borrow an idea that a lot of prem clubs have and put a flag up for each nationality in the team, but as a fan thing rather than officially. Apart from adding a bit of colour, I actually think the players would appreciate it and it would crank the support they feel they are getting from the fans up a notch. Nothing too fancy or organised, just stick them up somewhere in the North (or elsewhere) when you turn up, don't have to be in a row or together or anything. What do we reckon?

By my reckoning we'd need:
England (obv)
Ireland
Scotland
France
Denmark
Spain
Argentina
Czech Rep
Uruguay
Basque
Democratic Rep of Congo (might be the tricky one!)

Then you've got Netherlands, Iraq, Norway for squad players who are never involved (dunno whether to include them or not), and Chile for a loan player (again, unsure).

I can provide the Ireland & Basque ones, and am more than happy to part with 3.99 on ebay to get another one. Anyone think its a good idea? If so, anyone willing to join in? I'm sure some people think its "cringeworthy", and I'm sure some will point out we are an English club etc etc, but its not like I'm trying to start Brighton Magiko here...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Hearts used to do this, not sure if they still do, and had flags representing their players hanging at the corners of the ground. They moved the flags around on a regular basis, never really worked out why. It used to give me great pleasure to open the curtains in the morning, look across towards the one corner of the ground I could see from my flat, and see the Cross of St George flying in honour of Lee Makel their English player.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hearts used to do this, not sure if they still do, and had flags representing their players hanging at the corners of the ground. They moved the flags around on a regular basis, never really worked out why. It used to give me great pleasure to open the curtains in the morning, look across towards the one corner of the ground I could see from my flat, and see the Cross of St George flying in honour of Lee Makel their English player.

And I'd image it meant a lot to him when he played as well! It's pretty much standard these days that players reel out their national flags whenever celebrating something. Fulham do it as well, but I like the idea of the fans taking ownership of it and doing it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd be up for flying an EU flag.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
And I'd image it meant a lot to him when he played as well! It's pretty much standard these days that players reel out their national flags whenever celebrating something. Fulham do it as well, but I like the idea of the fans taking ownership of it and doing it.

Think it probably did, he always gave his best, it would for me if I were a player plying my trade in a foreign country...to be fair, at the time they didn't need a massive range of flags, from memory the non-Scots were an Austrian, Angolan, a couple of French and Makel the Englishman.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Think it probably did, he always gave his best, it would for me if I were a player plying my trade in a foreign country...to be fair, at the time they didn't need a massive range of flags, from memory the non-Scots were an Austrian, Angolan, a couple of French and Makel the Englishman.

Pre-Lithuanian days I presume then?

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Pre-Lithuanian days I presume then?

Very much so, I managed to time my stay in Edinburgh with a win in the Scottish Cup and a reasonable challenge on splitting the Auld Firm in the league, I was in Scotland from 97-00. Sadly the Lithuanians have gone about wrecking what used to be a very good football club, it saddens me to watch from afar what they have done to the club.

guster

Jul 13, 2011
West Stand Lower
Joe Cole said that Lille fans bring a GB flag in his honour, makes him feel loved by the fans, who knows it might just make him give that little bit extra. Could work for us too.

killer miller

Apr 25, 2011
Bexhill-on-sea
Sounds good and would look good made this with paint. north-stand-brighton.jpg

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
really good idea, would be nice to see a few more flags in place by Saturday.

would also like to see a Sussex flag around the Amex as well, as i stated in another thread im not to clever on ebay but im sure one of you would happily pay £3.99 for one off there .
SUSSEX COUNTY FLAG 5FT X 3FT - NEW | eBay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here