Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Anthem

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
After seeing a fairly lacklustre performance in singing the National Anthem from the England players and manager is it time to consider a new anthem? I am a patriotic England supporter however as an atheist and not a big fan of the monarchy I find it difficult to really get into our national anthem. Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory is surely something everyone can get behind?

I'm sure I will get slaughtered but any thoughts?

It is time for a new anthem. Our present one is one of the worst in the world. NOT Jerusalem ... we're not Israelis. Land of Hope and Glory ... maybe. Britannia ... we don't "rule the waves" any more.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
We need something "with some guts behind it" as colour sergeant Vaughn would have said?

Something traditional yet ferocious?

Something Anglo Saxon yet modern?

You'r gunna get your f*****g heads kicked in while performing the Haka could do the job.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Agree with the OP
God the Save the Queen is the British national anthem and NOT the English anthem
The Welsh have the rousing Land of Our Fathers
The Scots Flower of Scotland
Even the English rugby team get it right with Jerusalem
Surely we need something similar... personally I would love it to be Jerusalem

www.writeahead.co.uk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Don't think there much if any correlation to how well you sing the national anthem and how well you play. Our national anthem is utterly terrible though and not so much a national anthem as a song about one person. Hardly inspiring stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here