Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Names which change

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Places in Wales, like Snowdonia. And I don't want to come over as a Gammony Boomer Snowflake, but I can't remember any of the new Welsh names. And I did SO well in remembering the new Indian place names and that Mount Everest is actually Chomolungma, although that is easier to pronounce (and thus remember) than the new Welsh names.

Oh and AEK Athens have always been 'Ike'. My brother's son-in-law is Greek and a fan and told us, so I was actually ahead of the curve on that. It's a bit like pronouncing Ajax Amsterdam as 'I-ax' (which we all do I'm sure) as opposed to 'Ay-jax' (which I certainly did when I was a boy in the 1960s/70s).

And one more thing: I know that Sri Lanka used to be Ceylon and that Thailand used to be Siam - but I never knew Iceland used to be called Beejams.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's my pet hate. I don't get for example why countries aren't all the same name to everyone else. Why don't we call Germany Deuthschland?

The Kiev thing literally makes no sense. Just cos they got invaded we suddenly decided to make the effort to pronounce it correctly. What? I still say it the old way when I'm having Chicken Kiev. Some things can't be changed.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I worked in a shop in Hurstpierpoint when I was 16 around the time Marathon changed to Snickers, my collegue and I thought it funny at the time to use the price stickers to cover the "S", we were told off by our supervisor eventually.

it also ruined one of my childhood jokes too.....
did you hear about the man who entered a marathon?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here