Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Name names Deniz, name names...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On the assumption you don't think they would be dropping ads into things like throw ins or small fouls (because that would be nuts on so many levels), the only real large break in play are injuries.

At the moment, when a physio comes on, even if they are quick, you would EASILY have 10 seconds where you could throw in a quick ad with absolutely no risk to interrupting play, yet they don't do that now, so when do you think all these ad breaks are going to be shown mid-game because of a stopped clock?
It's what America does

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's what America does
What? American soccer games stop the clock when there is an injury and they run an ad?

Or do they keep the clock running, in which case your issue is with how americans cover their sport, not the stopped clock element.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Have a total number of yellows a team can have in a match (say 4) and 5th yellow is instantly a red for that player. Would stop situations like us at home to Villa last season where their whole squad took turns to get a yellow while running down the clock.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Introducing the stop clock would take some getting used to, but in a generation's time folk would know no different.

It works in rugby and there is no debate over time. It ended it.

Play is called over once the ball is kicked into touch after the clock finishes.

It really is that simple.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A lot of the time wasting is due to:

Stopping a free kick from being taken quickly to gain an advantage - instant yellow card.

Throw in not being taken from where the ball goes out of play, but claiming half the length of the pitch, and then taking minutes to decide which team mate to throw it too – Instant yellow card

Goalkeepers taking longer than the 6 second rule (Pickford and others!), instant yellow card – (timing to be undertaken by VAR or 4th official)

Not leaving the field of play by the shortest route (assuming the player is still alive, and able to walk) – Instant yellow card.

Throwing or kicking the ball away, to gain an advantage -instant yellow card.

Captains to discuss and seek clarification of decisions with officials, any others crowding and mouthing off to the officials – instant yellow card (each player involved)

Roll on roll off subs

Mic the officials so we can hear how they come to a decision
All this talk of instant yellow card is soft!

Shoot them! You would only need to shoot one ;)

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It's radical......

but I like it.
4RfKU6QhrODjbk5I

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When a side has conceded a goal let them kick off as soon as they are ready, not wait for the team that scored to get back into their own half.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
When a side has conceded a goal let them kick off as soon as they are ready, not wait for the team that scored to get back into their own half.
I think Sky might object to this one re showing replays etc.

Would be absolutely hilarious to watch though.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I watch a LOT of NFL.

The things you raise don't make any sense in football. How would Fouling the oppositon to stop the clock be beneficial in football? You just let the other team keep the ball and get themselves re-organised.

Kicking it out of touch would give the ball back to the opposition so not creating this 'Hail Mary' scenario you forsee.

In NFL you get a set number of plays so you can just chuck the ball away and know you'll get another go with a stopped clock. In football the ball is given to the opposition in the scenarios you've set out. It's not the same.
I was thinking more of the NBA, where conceding a foul or giving a throw in is considered less of a negative than the last seconds ticking away. I just think you could give away a throw in or foil, where time stops, then organize a press defense for the restart and try to routinely put it in the mixer.

You are right, it is a different game, but other sports did not used to be played like that either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here