Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Naga Munchetty (BBC news reporter)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some strange posts on this thread.

Of course she's in the wrong. She's a news presenter.

Of course Victoria Derbyshire can deal with the issue differently because her programme is different (albeit she does not delare she hypothesizes). .

Of course gammon can come out with racist comments when interviewed. But they should then be rebutted and not invited back, especially if they are using hate speach, or are inciting violence.

Of course the BBC is impartial. That's why it infuriates placenta-eaters and gammon in equal measure.

She is a presenter but Dan Walker asked her a question which she answered. Did you watch the clip I posted?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
She is a presenter but Dan Walker asked her a question which she answered. Did you watch the clip I posted?

Are they allowed to answer such questions, clearly rhetorical anyway, whilst in the role of giving us the facts?

Clearly not according to her own employer.

You and I may both despise Trump, but there cannot be a blurring of objective news and opinions on a powerful medium such as TV news.

To allow a blurring would add to the chaos out there now of fake news, of hyperbole presented as facts.

It might be wnkr Trump this time, but it could be against someone you rate in the future.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are they allowed to answer such questions, clearly rhetorical anyway, whilst in the role of giving us the facts?

Clearly not according to her own employer.

You and I may both despise Trump, but there cannot be a blurring of objective news and opinions on a powerful medium such as TV news.

To allow a blurring would add to the chaos out there now of fake news, of hyperbole presented as facts.

It might be wnkr Trump this time, but it could be against someone you rate in the future.

How did Neill & Humphreys get away with it?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
It was hardly a meltdown. This was the original comment.

[tweet]1151389038781390848[/tweet]

A complaint was made to the BBC and this is the result.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49825570

Naga Munchetty breached BBC guidelines by criticising President Donald Trump for perceived racism, the corporation's complaints unit has ruled.

In July the BBC presenter took issue with comments made by the US President after he told opponents to "go back" to the "places from which they came".

The BBC said the Breakfast host was entitled to her own views but had gone "beyond what the guidelines allow for".

It said any action taken as a result of the finding would be published later.

That wasn't the bit that she had a complaint made about.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Humphreys is an incredible ‘assassin’ who takes apart politicians, directly to their face, with no qualms about exposing their hypocrisy, past lies, double standards, cheap populism. Equally ready to tear apart anyone from the left, right, SNP, etc. A great brain. I think Neil does that well too, with a bit more charm.

They’re not giving their biased opinion, they’re cross examining. It’s the modus operandi of that role.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Remain and left leaning BBC in shock attack against Trump. Really? Hardly headlines is it? Happens all the time. I used to believe that the BBC was truly independent but over the last three years it has proved itself to be anything but. There is the odd presenter who manages it but they are few and far between.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The Remain and left leaning BBC in shock attack against Trump. Really? Hardly headlines is it? Happens all the time. I used to believe that the BBC was truly independent but over the last three years it has proved itself to be anything but. There is the odd presenter who manages it but they are few and far between.

And yet on another thread, there is a complaint that the last 3 cities that the BBC have visited re the B word have all been heavy leave cities.

So they must be doing something right. :wink:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And yet on another thread, there is a complaint that the last 3 cities that the BBC have visited re the B word have all be heavy leave cities.

Literally fair play to the BBC for doing that, this week in the capital of B, The Potteries.

Enlightening too. On NSC you get the completely false impression that 90% of people are R, believe everything that Corbyn utters is marvellous, and hate anyone right of the LibDems. Interviewing the masses in Stoke, Blackpool, Leicester, Bradford has revealed a huge anti-EU stance and a lot of anger towards Corbyn.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
And yet on another thread, there is a complaint that the last 3 cities that the BBC have visited re the B word have all be heavy leave cities.

Nah , theyll have a strategy to visit the Remain areas closer to voting time

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nah ,shes a gobshite ! ,Loves herself to bits, constant interruptions of everybody on the show are incredibly annoying, to some !
Just the type the Beeb love...

Welcome to The Official Whoosh club

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

The BBC were reacting to a complaint. It's very "complaint" driven and something like this kicks in when someone does.

To me it's a typical bureaucratic "letter of the law" ( and very NON political) type judgement that fails to see the bigger picture.

The rules are there to protect the reputation of the BBC. Applying them like this achieves completely the opposite.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The BBC was reacting to a complaint.

To me it's a typical bureaucratic "letter of the law" type judgement that fails to see the bigger picture.

The rules are there to protect the reputation of the BBC. Applying them like this achieves completely the opposite.

There were loads of complaints about the two presenters I mentioned, especially the treatment of Carole Cadwallader.
I agree it was well over the top, and she didn't have a melt down.

It makes you wonder about the person who made the complaint. She isn't my favourite presenter by any means, but she has been harshly treated imo.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The BBC were reacting to a complaint. It's very "complaint" driven and something like this kicks in when someone does.

To me it's a typical bureaucratic "letter of the law" ( and very NON political) type judgement that fails to see the bigger picture.

I'll remember that when I have my disciplinary hearing next week (the only actual complainant is a 'senior' colleague who I didn't actually criticise but he thinks I did - and now he's offended on behalf of others. :facepalm:)

The world is full of jobsworths made of crisps. Fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here