Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My view of the game

PalG

Nov 22, 2010
I was sat in the Southampton end for the game today. We were quite loud towards the beginning but i've got to admit Saints completely outsang us. The players looked shakey in the first 10 minutes but just before El Abd got injured we started to look more solid. Saints controlled the first half and the second half was pretty even. Definitely wasn't a penalty but no excuses for the miss. Even game but i'd have took a draw at the beginning of the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having 23,000 of them and 3,000 of us for their biggest game for years, and the fact that they dominated the 1st 35 mins of the 1st half, you'd expect them to be louder than us wouldn't you?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I was amazed there were over 26000..there seemed to be big gaps everywhere in the home stands.
Thought they over-powered us in the first half but we managed to get our mojo working second half. Three weeks ago, we would have picked them off but we are not at the same level as wew were.
This was the benchmark game, as this lot are very likely to go up and overall, I thought we did alright.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I noted with interest the stand to our left, quite vocal, and most of them sat down, but still chanting, clapping and singing. I think it's all about the domino effect, if one area starts up, the rest are more inclined to follow, and obviously, the roof is what allows that to happen. At withdean the H block can be trying to sing, but you can't hear it in G block, but you can hear it in the north stand.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I sat with some SCC friends and they were quite impressed with our travelling fans - reckoned we were the best they have had this season anyway. Second half I thought we just edged it after being mullered in the first 45 minutes. I agree about the penalty - a touch on the soft side but seemed like a good save by their keeper and after the one he made in the first half to keep out Dicker they rated him their MOTM. My mates were very disappointed in Albion as they expected more but when your keeper is your best player it must say something. I think it's right that on the form of a month ago we would have put this game to bed in the second half but by the end of the 90 minutes I left with the feeling that we are nearly back where we were and with a bit of a break from league action and the chance to get some work done on the training pitch I am much more confident about facing a tough December and hitting a target of 10 points from the next 5 games which will see us go into the new year as league leaders. Great performance from Ankergren and Greer (my MOTM) and from Dunk, Murray (best all round performance for ages) and Jamie Smith. Calde and Painter were pegged back by Chamberlain and Lallana resulting in disappointing forward contributions but not many teams this season will be able to keep them as occupied. All in all a good night and if we can just recover a little bit of confidence in front of goal then our "blip" will be a distant memory by Christmas!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I sat with some SCC friends and they were quite impressed with our travelling fans - reckoned we were the best they have had this season anyway. Second half I thought we just edged it after being mullered in the first 45 minutes. I agree about the penalty - a touch on the soft side but seemed like a good save by their keeper and after the one he made in the first half to keep out Dicker they rated him their MOTM. My mates were very disappointed in Albion as they expected more but when your keeper is your best player it must say something. I think it's right that on the form of a month ago we would have put this game to bed in the second half but by the end of the 90 minutes I left with the feeling that we are nearly back where we were and with a bit of a break from league action and the chance to get some work done on the training pitch I am much more confident about facing a tough December and hitting a target of 10 points from the next 5 games which will see us go into the new year as league leaders. Great performance from Ankergren and Greer (my MOTM) and from Dunk, Murray (best all round performance for ages) and Jamie Smith. Calde and Painter were pegged back by Chamberlain and Lallana resulting in disappointing forward contributions but not many teams this season will be able to keep them as occupied. All in all a good night and if we can just recover a little bit of confidence in front of goal then our "blip" will be a distant memory by Christmas!

That for me is the key. With a lot of games in November the team will have been doing less training and it has showed in things like set plays-ours and defending them. I'm hoping this month was the inevitable dip in form that every team goes through.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I was in the last line of Albion fans before the barrier and the start of the Saints fans, and had to admit the noise from them was much louder than the noise from us. Completely the other way round last year, but I thought our fans were nervous and our team was nervous.

Also... can we sing something apart from Al-bi-on Al-bi-on? It got really repetitive, they seemed to have more songs even if 90% were witlessly homophobic. Where was "Sussex by the Sea"? I think I only heard it once, or maybe twice.

It's funny to come out of a game when we missed a penalty to think we were lucky to get a point. I just wish Poyet hadn't messed with the team in the first Woking match, it seems to have completely thrown away our momentum, and the changes made since aren't working (along with the opposition starting to understand us).

Gus was the man who put together the brilliant team of a month ago, now has some work to do to put it back together.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
My view of the heaving Albion following last night from the wrong end...
Hope the attached photo works. If not, my first epic fail for the day, sorry. :albion1:

Attachments

• Seagulls at Southampton.JPG
    Seagulls at Southampton.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 507

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We sounded good on the radio. Matched maybe but not outsung.

No way were we outsung. I don't think people realise how LOUD our away support is - there was only a pocket of Scummers to the right who sang occasionly - the rest of the ground was silent. And empty :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I actually think that game was our best result this year...yes I know we mullered Charlton and Peterboro, however the fact that we were under the cosh for a large part of that game, football bigotry aside, Saints for most of the game were a far better team than we were......however we defended extremely well, got lucky a couple of times when the ball flashed across the box and the winger being clipped from behind in the area , Casper made an incredible save from Lamberts free kick ( he only saw that at the very last minute).

For our efforts, I thought the second half we came more and more into the game and the game changed direction when Smith and Murray came on ( more so Smith I thought who caused problems all over) Murray holds the ball tremendously and his work rate is excellent when he wants to which is something people do miss, he is really one that if the rumours are true, we will miss.

Great point after all!

Alex

Nov 3, 2010
No way were we outsung. I don't think people realise how LOUD our away support is - there was only a pocket of Scummers to the right who sang occasionly - the rest of the ground was silent. And empty :)

Yes, a 'small pocket' my f***ing arse. Our home support that stands and sings is exactly the same size as the away end. Goes from behind the goal all the way round to the corner flag pretty much.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

We were outsung all night. Yes we were loud, but there's a lot more of them and they sang more frequently because they were hammering us for much of the first half.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
We were outsung all night. Yes we were loud, but there's a lot more of them and they sang more frequently because they were hammering us for much of the first half.

I have to agree. That's the first time I can remember us getting totally outsung by home fans and as much as I despise them, fair play to them. They unsettled CA too and influenced the ref to book him.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

From the Saints end it sounded like we were very much outsung. Although it's not like we had a huge amount to sing about and it was quite a nervous game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here