Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My trip to Selhurst today...Observations

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Was convinced by a mate to go along with him today (free ticket) and thought i'd post a few things about the game, atmosphere ect. Not my first visit but given we are competing in the same league thought i'd share my views.

First of all the match. West Ham were poor, struggled to break down Palace's midfield and resorted to hoofing the ball to Cole...it was like watching league one football again. Take nothing away from Palace they were the better team and deserved their lead, I think 2-1 would have been a fair result but they sat back and allowed W'ham to come at them. Murray looked class, won a lot in the air and took his goal well, looks like he's slotted into the team well, the fans seem to have taken to him as well (tuesday probably helped).

I have to be fair here and say palace looked a reasonable side peppered with some quality players, Zaha for example showed glimpses of real class. I think like ourselves they will do well this year, could be a decent battle with them for the playoffs I reckon.

Really can't see West ham doing well this year, they looked second best for most of the game and it was only because Palace let them come at them they salvaged a point, had Palace kept the tempo up I think they would have finished them off comfortably.

A few non footballing observations...

West Ham fans, despite there being at least a couple of thousand of them they were shocking, barely got behind their team at all, I guess going a goal down so early doesn't help but still poor for a club of their stature.

Palace fans, I was in the Holmesdale stand where the atmosphere was good, far from deafening but decent nonetheless. They have a good number of songs and plenty of people willing to get involved which meant there wasn't many quiet moments. i think like them, we need a few more repetative songs that everyone can get involved with, it really added to the general atmosphere.

Can't really say too many good things about Selhurst park, anyone who's been there will know it's a bit of a dump the only thing i'd swap with the Amex is the grassy area outside where fans can drink and smoke at half time and the number of pubs in close reach.

Sorry if this is of no interest to people but just thought i'd share.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
You watched a Palace game at Selhurst in the home end? How will you sleep tonight?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
You watched a Palace game at Selhurst in the home end? How will you sleep tonight?

I'm almost ashamed to say I have been to SP about 8 times in 20 years.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Loads of Hammers at Liverpool Street around midday

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
how did the STAND UP IF YOU PALACE chant go down?

sorry mate,couldn't sit amongest 'em

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Good attendance but according to the official report over 4,300 of them were hammers.

Palace Lad83

Sep 29, 2011
I was in the Holmesdale stand where the atmosphere was good, far from deafening but decent nonetheless. They have a good number of songs and plenty of people willing to get involved which meant there wasn't many quiet moments. i think like them, we need a few more repetative songs that everyone can get involved with, it really added to the general atmosphere.

Taking notes on the Palace atmosphere? Classic..today's banner says it all

Attachments

• brightonwhenwillyoulear.jpg
    brightonwhenwillyoulear.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:

Palace Lad83

Sep 29, 2011
If you're that confident, then why didn't you bring that banner on tuesday night? ... No use putting it up when you're playing West Ham is it?

your team buckled, plastic 'ultras' outsung and showed how it's done and now this post today..

THERE ARE TEACHERS, THERE ARE PUPILS - KNOW YOUR PLACE

love it, cheers for helping to prove the point

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
your team buckled, plastic 'ultras' outsung and showed how it's done and now this post today..

THERE ARE TEACHERS, THERE ARE PUPILS - KNOW YOUR PLACE

love it, cheers for helping to prove the point

Let me me guess, if we finish above you this season will you come on here and admit we were the better team? Of course you won't!

I promise if it's the other way around, I'll admit you are better! How does that sound?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Looking at your forums on tuesday night, you lot were bricking it before the game, nearly all of you expecting to come down and get slaughtered. Credit to your team, they deserved the 3 points, but don't come on here gobbing off about 'teachers and pupils' and acting like there was never any doubt about you losing. Enjoy the moment, because it's only half time .... January is only 3 months away!

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
We'll have our Player of the Year back in January - Nathaniel Clyne.

Most reports say that Ramage was terrible on Tuesday, there's no way Noone will have the pace to get past Nat.

A shame we couldn't get all 3 points but West Ham have a squad littered with Premier League class players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here