Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My team against Reading

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree with DO. Sort out the defence. After all we talk about two wins. But 6 draws might be enough its still the same points tally!!!

If the opposition aint scoring that does help!

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Shabban

Hinshelwood Butters Mayo

Reid Nicholas Hammond Harding

Knight Virgo

Subs

Hart (Looks tired)
McGammon (Finshing)
Oatway (Form)
Watson
Jarrett

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Code:
                Shaaban

Virgs Hinsh Butters

Reid                               Harding

Hart Nicolas Hammond

Knight McCammon

Go back to the system which gave us our best results and our best run, putting players in their best positions. We need to sort out the defence immediately. Bugger knows why we ever ditched 3-5-2.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Repugnant Toad said:
Code:
                Shaaban

Virgs Hinsh Butters

Hart Nicolas Hammond

Knight McCammon

Go back to the system which gave us our best results and our best run, putting players in their best positions. We need to sort out the defence immediately. Bugger knows why we ever ditched 3-5-2.

I'd go with that

Repugnant Toad said:
Code:
                Shaaban

Virgs Hinsh Butters

Hart Nicolas Hammond

Knight McCammon

Players in their best position? Can you think of a game where OGH has EVER played central midfield in a 3-5-2?

As to why we ditched it, the answer was Cardiff where we leaked early goals against another relegation team, we then switched to 4-4-2 and beat Sunderland and Millwall. I think the main problem of 3-5-2 is that there is no place for Leon Knight (remember West Ham?).

Persisting with Leon Knight up front is flogging a dead horse. Move on, McGhee has.

If Leon got NO goals playing up front all season, would there still be some people arguing he is the answer to our goal-scoring problems? Well, the facts read he's got THREE all season, not forgetting the one pen out of 3. You have got to deal with the reasons for that, apart from blaming the rest of the team and McGhee. The reason is Leon has suffered against physical and quick defending and gets muscled off the ball too easily up front. With Jake Robinson, that problem would be ten times worse.

Read McGhee's quotes in the Argus, he's happy with the front pairing, and with Leon as a supplier.

The problem is we need Virgs both up front and at the back. This could perhaps be solved by bringing in El Abd in a 3-5-2, as with the Forest clean sheet. Or gambling on McPhee being ready and dropping Virgs back, but I think McGhee wants to set out his stall to win games and wants his two main goal-scorers up front now.

The idea of dropping Oatway is laughable. The clue to who McGhee might drop in midfield has been there in who he has subbed early in recent games.

Stumpy Tim

Code:
                Shaaban

El-Abd Hinsh Butters

Oatway Hammond Knight

Virgo McCammon

Give Leon the old Darren Currie role in midfield where he can get more of the ball & create things. He's shown how good he can be on the ball, so let's create some space for the little fella.

Virgs & McCammon can continue up-front if we give El-Abd a go, who is extremely unfortunate not to be in the team anyway

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Players in their best position? Can you think of a game where OGH has EVER played central midfield in a 3-5-2?

I'm fairly confident Harty played on the right of a three rather sucessfully under Coppell at this level, as against Wolves. Brooker was also given a similar role - it's not simply central midfield, more of a free role, just needs a fit skillful player there. Against better sides you could bring Oatway back in.

Persisting with Leon Knight up front is flogging a dead horse. Move on, McGhee has.

I think even McGhee would find that laughable; there's nothing wrong with versatility - don't believe that playing Leon as a winger now means we won't see him as a striker again.

Well, the facts read he's got THREE all season, not forgetting the one pen out of 3.

Not quite; the facts read he's got FOUR all season. Small difference, but still ... I think McCammon can carry the physical burden up front, having two similar players makes us too predictable and one-dimensional. Our problem is at the back currently, and all we need to focus on now is staying up - Virgs is more needed back there than he is up-front.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Shaaban
Reid El-Abd Hinshelwood Butters Watson
Oatway Nicholas
Knight
Virgo McCammon

Try that.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Infernal Optimist said:
Shabban

Hinshelwood Butters Mayo

Reid Nicholas Hammond Harding

Knight Virgo

Subs

Hart (Looks tired)
McGammon (Finshing)
Oatway (Form)
Watson
Jarrett

Dont fancy your 10 players against Readings 11 !!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here