Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
All the best Amex Ruislip …. My prostate has been enlarged for years but I have always been told it is benign … I do hope your next tests are ok…(y)
Yes, all the very best @Amex Ruislip.

@Perfidious Albion - I also have had an enlarged prostate for several years. Have had two biopsies which are not exactly fun (I managed to faint after the second one) and now am on Tamsulosin and Finasteride (can also be used to stop hair loss but I'm still bald). Still have to pee often! PSA score is good now - there are references in the thread to achieving a zero score but I'm not sure that's how it works.

Do get checked guys. If there's a problem, the earlier it's diagnosed the better.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm glad you posted that, @AmexRuislip. It is an important warning for us chaps. As you know, I had a dodgy PSA (on the border) and the bottom inspector considered there was enlargement, so I popped along for the biopsies (this was 18 months ago I think). I could tell the young medic and his assistant were impressed by the quality of upkeep of my perineum. Anyway....

"Just a little prick" he said. Crikey, given that I was lying face downward I was impressed with his eyesight. After the lidocaine injection I was warned there may still be a little discomfort. It was fine at first. The biopsy gun does make a 'crack' sound. After 8 biopsies I asked if they were nearly done, as the sensation although not painful was disconcerting. "Yes, nearly done" the lad replied.

After the final and 24th biopsy I was invited to get dressed, and toddle off home. Over the next week, there were one or two alarming but frankly amusing sequelae of a colourful variety. But no pain.

Fortunately I got the all clear. Benign prostatic hyperplasia, no need even for prazosin. Some follow up PSAs that gave no further cause for alarm.

But I will be back for a further PSA in a few months. An old school pal of mine also had the 24 biopsies just before Christmas. Alas two of them flashed up, so he's on for an op soon. I think the surgeons are getting rather good at this now. So if you can get past the finger up the arsehole part (and let's be honest, a lot of us secretly enjoy that bit) its all part of any sensible staying alive strategy for the discerning gentleman.

All the best, Phil, and anyone else engaging with this malarky.
Out of interest why so many biopsies? It's only a small gland isn't it?

And best of British @AmexRuislip

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I was diagnosed with PC, Gleason 3+3, in 2017 and have been on active surveillance ever since. This consists of 6 monthly blood tests (PSA score review), daily intake of Finasteride and Tamsulosin, a 6 monthly consultant review and an annual MRI scan. So far so good. I would endorse the importance of listening to your body and getting down to your GP at the earliest suggestion that there may be a prostate problem

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not when it's enlarged.

In seriousness, I would imagine they are simply being thorough, in the knowledge that it develops in a small part before it takes hold (whence the goal is to catch it early). As in my old school mate's case.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Yes, it's a small gland but can have localised cancer (i.e. not across the whole gland, as I understand). My prostate also has a swelling on one side. So, I too had some 24 bores in the biopsy. I think it's a case, sensibly, of ... while your there, check all of it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm glad you posted that, @AmexRuislip. It is an important warning for us chaps. As you know, I had a dodgy PSA (on the border) and the bottom inspector considered there was enlargement, so I popped along for the biopsies (this was 18 months ago I think). I could tell the young medic and his assistant were impressed by the quality of upkeep of my perineum. Anyway....

"Just a little prick" he said. Crikey, given that I was lying face downward I was impressed with his eyesight. After the lidocaine injection I was warned there may still be a little discomfort. It was fine at first. The biopsy gun does make a 'crack' sound. After 8 biopsies I asked if they were nearly done, as the sensation although not painful was disconcerting. "Yes, nearly done" the lad replied.

After the final and 24th biopsy I was invited to get dressed, and toddle off home. Over the next week, there were one or two alarming but frankly amusing sequelae of a colourful variety. But no pain.

Fortunately I got the all clear. Benign prostatic hyperplasia, no need even for prazosin. Some follow up PSAs that gave no further cause for alarm.

But I will be back for a further PSA in a few months. An old school pal of mine also had the 24 biopsies just before Christmas. Alas two of them flashed up, so he's on for an op soon. I think the surgeons are getting rather good at this now. So if you can get past the finger up the arsehole part (and let's be honest, a lot of us secretly enjoy that bit) its all part of any sensible staying alive strategy for the discerning gentleman.

Cheers HWT :kiss:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Not sure of why do they do so many biopsies, but I guess each NHS region is different.
They took 20 biopsies around the area of interest.
Some came back cancerous and others not.
When having the biopsies done, your dignity goes out of the window TBH.
Having the hanging gardens of Babylon on display is quite a feat :lol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good luck with your results and thanks for posting this in a predominantly male message board as men are shit at seeing the doctor when something isn't quite right and need to be encouraged more.

Was it you that previously posted something on this? I know that I saw a thread that prompted me to get some soreness in my general perineum area seen too. PSA tests come back normal and a finger up the jacksie from the urologist reassured that it was just a bit of inflammation that got better on its own. I will however make sure I get regular PSA tests done with the annual bloods that my GP practice likes to do with all over 40s, so thanks for highlighting the fact that prostate cancer has potentially very vague symptoms, which is something I wasn't previously aware of.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Yeah bit of my past here. I underwent IMRT 15 years ago, that is/was an experimental treatment of Radiotherapy at the time. Still here, we check PSA six monthly. Be aware though even a small amount of exercise within 24 hours of test, such as a moderate walk will raise the score, and cause unnecessary concern. Rest before Test.

I was on the Albion Prostate awareness campaign posters at the time. I declined permission for them to be used in the Stadium loo’s though.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

To quote my teenage daughter: TMI

:wink:

Made me wince just reading it. Quite surprised at the amount of gentlemen on here that it's been issues for them. I have to be honest I didn't realise it was so common.

Thanks @AmexRuislip, yourself and others for pointing it out. I'm getting to the age where I need to be much more aware of things like this (60 at the end of this year).

:thumbsup:

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks

The problem with a prostate biopsy is it's very hit-and-miss. As I understand it they're effectively taking random samples, even though from a small gland. I was still reporting problems, and getting a high PSA score, after the first biopsy so they decided to have another go.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The problem with a prostate biopsy is it's very hit-and-miss. As I understand it they're effectively taking random samples, even though from a small gland. I was still reporting problems, and getting a high PSA score, after the first biopsy so they decided to have another go.
It used to be but doesn't need to be hit and miss any more. An MRI will show them the tumour and the correct area can then be targeted accurately (template biopsy).

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Good luck AR and thanks for posting

My dad was diagnosed with PC about 20 years ago and it killed him in the end as he didn't do enough about it, just procrastinated

Any man over the age of 50 - and let's face it, there's quite a few of us on this board - should really be getting a PSA annually if possible, 2 years apart at worst. In between times be aware of anything which might indicate a problem, such as frequently having to get up in the night for a slash. If in doubt go and see the doc. Just do it.

My dad didn't and he ended up in agony in a Spanish hospital at the end as the cancer spread suddenly from his prostate to his spine, liver and kidneys. He was 69 and until less than a year before dying was fit, active and leading a full happy life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here