Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My opinion... Remember you do not have to open/read this...

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Firstly, these are just my views, if you don't like them, don't read this.
I really wasn't sure whether to post this, i've been toying with hitting the delete button for the last couple of hours, but hell, here goes...
I decided to write my views down, just to get them off my chest after all I am a writer (With block) so it kind of seemed the right course of action. It was an after thought to post them on here but feel I’d like to share something, even if it seems to be a little on the negative side.
I don't care if any of you 'keyboard warriors' want to have a pop at me about my rant, but please try to see what I'm saying after removing the rose tinted glasses that many of us wear when analysing the Albion.

I've been feeling a little unhappy with the Albion since the start of the season, but recently I'm finding it hard to be at all positive.

Pre-season, I was optimistic and even had a little bet on us getting promoted, I was happy with the squad, albeit a little light up front, which Gus publicly declared and stated that we'd be correcting shortly.
To correct this we signed Stephen Dobbie at the death of the transfer window. FFS I saw this guy play for Queen of the South in the Scottish second division where he was at best average. But I thought, give the guy the benefit of the doubt and maybe he's improved. But no, he's still shit.
So basically we still need a striker to replace a guy that we let leave on a free before the start of last season. Poor decision and utterly ridiculous that we still need a striker. Anyway, more about this later. (Unfortunately.)

We seemed a decent side against teams that are little more than fodder and when we went top I did wonder how long we would last before we were found out. To be fair the fixture list did seem kind to us at the beginning of the season and I felt a couple of times that fortune had smiled favorably upon us.
Moving forward we descended into a run of poor form even though we still seemed a reasonably solid unit at the back.
After the away match at Leicester I began to realise that we would be needing to improve drastically if we were to have any chance in making the play-offs.
We should have been three down by half time. Second half we dominated but just simply couldn't score. Barnes had a weak penalty saved and CMS missed what seemed to be an open goal from inside the six yard box. The two short corners to Bridcutt where he lost possession and they almost hit us on the break. We were not good enough.

Surely we could work on set pieces in training?

Blackpool away was terrible. Totally out played and how we got anything out of the match is still beyond my comprehension.

Then we move on and I look at the matches where we throw points away in the last few minutes after dominating for large periods. Bolton. The fact that we get a goal up and just can't put the game to bed.
The tactically naive defence in the last 10 minutes and the lack of fire-power on the pitch which leads me on to question why Barnes get to start near enough every match.
Why does Toby the Viking never get a game? I'm certain he'd do a job.
Every time Bridcutt wins the ball, the pass is shit and either goes out of play or back to the opposition. I get that he's there getting himself in the way and helps break up play but he simply isn't playing well enough at the moment. I just think he's a shadow of the player he was for us last season. A little like how Gerrard isn't performing well enough for Liverpool but never seems to be dropped.
How does Hammond start over Crofts?
Then Bruno... Oozes class, can play killed cross field passes, crosses well and can certainly hit it. Then gets wrong footed by a second rate, second tier, run of the mill winger. The man is awesome going forward but gets caught out a little too much at times. My feeling is he'd make a better wing-back than full-back. But I'm not in any way suggesting that he should be dropped, he is one of four players that I believe are currently too good for us. The other three being Kooch, (I still can't spell his name.) Bridge and Buckley.
Buckley being the best player I've ever seen play for the Albion and I firmly believe him to be the second best player in the Championship behind Zaha. (Just being honest.)

Could we maybe practice penalties in training?

I do like the passing style of football that we have played for some of the season but it does beg the question: What is the point if there is no end product?
I like the fact that for half an hour in a match our movement is fluid and we look like world beaters but we seem to have no other options. No plan B. To get out of this division we need to have the capacity on occasion to 'win ugly'.
For the majority I'd like to see us play our passing game, at times a little faster than walking pace where we can exploit defences before they have the chance to organise and mark up while we are looking pretty playing twenty passes across our back four.
I do understand and am in full support of the style of play that Gus has brought to our club but I am growing more concerned that maybe he has reached his peak and does not have the tactical ability to take us any further than the upper-middle of this division. Please, please, please, prove me wrong.
The excuses don't wash with me any more Mr Poyet, the blame is yours for the taking. The players are who you have signed, but I feel it is the tactics that are often wrong or lacking.
This squad of players is good enough to get us promoted. I have no doubt about that.
Just a thought...

........................Kooch.........................
Bruno.......Greer...........El-Abd......Bridge
...............Hammond.....Crofts...............
Buckley.....................................Orlandi
...............Agdestein......CMS.................

Bring back JFC before he gets the skill coached out of him, playing lump-ball on bobbly pitches is hardly likely to improve one to our clubs key future assets. With JFC, Lua Lua and Hoskins on the bench we would possibly have a chance to turn matches around in the last twenty minutes.

The feeling of being 2-0 up at home to Bristol City and thinking we may need a third, is simply not right.

Today was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

With the exception of Zaha, Murray, Jedanek and today Bolasie (Who we laughed about when they signed him) our team on paper looks a lot better than that of the pikeys.
Dunk was silly and unfortunate, possibly not 100% match fit or maybe just a crap touch and worse desperate follow up tackle but I’m not going to make excuses, that's Gus's job. It was a red and an early shower for Lewis but the bigger question for me was, why is there no center back cover on the bench?
I clung onto the idea that maybe Barnes would come good with all my heart, maybe CMS would hit the target or Bruno would smack in a 25 yarder but as soon as I saw the ref raise the card to the sky my head knew the result was inevitable, the question was how many.
Embaressed (Again) by a player deemed unworthy to wear the stripes and pushed out the door to our rivals on a free by our great leader in his infinite wisdom. One hell of a serious lack of judgement on that call.
When the third went in I lost all hope and felt disappointed and angry.
I know a lot of people will point the finger one way or another, but the fact is today we were beaten by a better organised team.
I feel somewhat sorry for Gordon Greer, having to play with the makeshift defence and a little sorry for Kooch, conceding three, two as a result of somewhat soft penalty decisions. (The first was not a penalty, maybe the second was, at the time I felt it wasn't but I was having 'angry time')
In all honesty we were shit today.

My opinion is that we've made little to no progress on the pitch over the last year despite having superior players. I am 100% behind the team and the club is in my blood but I'm beginning to think maybe Mr Poyet needs to be answerable for some of our shortfalls instead of dodging the blame and over playing the 'mad genius' role that he does so well with his charm and charisma.
With the players we have I believe we should be looking for a minimum of a top six finish, either that or another manager that could turn our players into a team worthy of competing for the championship.

Palace aren't good enough to go up this season, but today they made us look pretty stupid.

Seems my 'writers block' may well be passing, for that I thank you, shame it took a defeat from the filth to fix me.

If you actually read this, I tip my cap to you.
Feel free to criticize, like I said, this is only my opinion and I'm sure when we win five on the bounce again this will all seem very silly and be a long forgotten memory.

Onward and upward.

Seagulls.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Little to no progress? Today notwithstanding, our discipline has gone from being the worst to one of the best, while our defence is tighter,partly because we've upgraded at keeper and full-back. I also feel we have a stronger presence in midfield. We've dropped loads of points through penalty misses and should really be 4th or 5th, not 8th.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Wow. What a post. And it took you 4 hours to write that? Hmm, as a writer how long does it take you to write a whole book? And check your spelling on ''Embaressed'' (bit disappointing for a writer, spelling mistakes).
Anyway, do you not think you are being a bit over dramatic? You lost today (yesterday) to a team that is top of the league. I know it grates and you don't think we are good enough to go up etc but sadly for you, we are! There have been numerous managers who have said this season that we are the best team they have played. There is a pattern developing there.
Yes, you lost a man early and that didn't help you but that still shouldn't stop you having a major say in the match. Lots of teams cope with losing a player and put up a solid defensive performance. Obviously that was beyond your team.
But...you are still an above average Championship team. Hell, you might even go up this year! Admittedly you would have to qualify for the play-offs but that is a realistic target for you. All clubs need to feel they are playing for something, don't they? You may well have a chance of just sneaking in there!
For a small club like Brighton who has spent most of their recent history in the lower league's, you have done well to attract a good number of transient fans. You are doing bloody well!
Chin-up!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Small club? f*** off you twat, have you seen our attendances?

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Small club? f*** off you twat, have you seen our attendances?

As I said, you have certainly done well to attract a good fan base in terms of numbers. Personally, I suspect it is a transient one. But time will tell.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Wow. What a post. And it took you 4 hours to write that? Hmm, as a writer how long does it take you to write a whole book? And check your spelling on ''Embaressed'' (bit disappointing for a writer, spelling mistakes).
Anyway, do you not think you are being a bit over dramatic? You lost today (yesterday) to a team that is top of the league. I know it grates and you don't think we are good enough to go up etc but sadly for you, we are! There have been numerous managers who have said this season that we are the best team they have played. There is a pattern developing there.
Yes, you lost a man early and that didn't help you but that still shouldn't stop you having a major say in the match. Lots of teams cope with losing a player and put up a solid defensive performance. Obviously that was beyond your team.
But...you are still an above average Championship team. Hell, you might even go up this year! Admittedly you would have to qualify for the play-offs but that is a realistic target for you. All clubs need to feel they are playing for something, don't they? You may well have a chance of just sneaking in there!
For a small club like Brighton who has spent most of their recent history in the lower league's, you have done well to attract a good number of transient fans. You are doing bloody well!
Chin-up!

Categorically, Palace will not go up this season.

For what it's worth, I doubt we will either.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Categorically, Palace will not go up this season.

For what it's worth, I doubt we will either.

Categorically? Really Brian? How can you be so sure? (Apart from the fact it's Palace) Now of course I'm not 100% sure we will go up but I think we have a fair to middling chance of actually being Champions. And you can state categorically that we won't go up? Hmm......

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Categorically? Really Brian? How can you be so sure? (Apart from the fact it's Palace) Now of course I'm not 100% sure we will go up but I think we have a fair to middling chance of actually being Champions. And you can state categorically that we won't go up? Hmm......

Ok, categorically was the incorrect choice of word. Based on the fact that I don't believe your squad has the necessary strength in depth, should Murray or Bolasie get an extended injury, I reckon your chances of going up are slim. Added to this, I think your head of steam has been built up at the wrong stage of the season.

I'm also taking for granted the fact that Zaha will not be at Palace come February 1st 2013.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I'm not denying that Palace's best XI wouldn't have a fairly decent shot at hanging around the top six, but there is still a long way to go in the season and I don't believe you have the re-inforcements to back you up.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I really wasn't sure whether to post this, i've been toying with hitting the delete button for the last couple of hours, but hell, here goes...
I decided to write my views down, just to get them off my chest after all I am a writer (With block) so it kind of seemed the right course of action. It was an after thought to post them on here but feel I’d like to share something, even if it seems to be a little on the negative side.
I don't care if any of you 'keyboard warriors' want to have a pop at me about my rant, but please try to see what I'm saying after removing the rose tinted glasses that many of us wear when analysing the Albion.

I've been feeling a little unhappy with the Albion since the start of the season, but recently I'm finding it hard to be at all positive.

Pre-season, I was optimistic and even had a little bet on us getting promoted, I was happy with the squad, albeit a little light up front, which Gus publicly declared and stated that we'd be correcting shortly.
To correct this we signed Stephen Dobbie at the death of the transfer window. FFS I saw this guy play for Queen of the South in the Scottish second division where he was at best average. But I thought, give the guy the benefit of the doubt and maybe he's improved. But no, he's still shit.
So basically we still need a striker to replace a guy that we let leave on a free before the start of last season. Poor decision and utterly ridiculous that we still need a striker. Anyway, more about this later. (Unfortunately.)

We seemed a decent side against teams that are little more than fodder and when we went top I did wonder how long we would last before we were found out. To be fair the fixture list did seem kind to us at the beginning of the season and I felt a couple of times that fortune had smiled favorably upon us.
Moving forward we descended into a run of poor form even though we still seemed a reasonably solid unit at the back.
After the away match at Leicester I began to realise that we would be needing to improve drastically if we were to have any chance in making the play-offs.
We should have been three down by half time. Second half we dominated but just simply couldn't score. Barnes had a weak penalty saved and CMS missed what seemed to be an open goal from inside the six yard box. The two short corners to Bridcutt where he lost possession and they almost hit us on the break. We were not good enough.

Surely we could work on set pieces in training?

Blackpool away was terrible. Totally out played and how we got anything out of the match is still beyond my comprehension.

Then we move on and I look at the matches where we throw points away in the last few minutes after dominating for large periods. Bolton. The fact that we get a goal up and just can't put the game to bed.
The tactically naive defence in the last 10 minutes and the lack of fire-power on the pitch which leads me on to question why Barnes get to start near enough every match.
Why does Toby the Viking never get a game? I'm certain he'd do a job.
Every time Bridcutt wins the ball, the pass is shit and either goes out of play or back to the opposition. I get that he's there getting himself in the way and helps break up play but he simply isn't playing well enough at the moment. I just think he's a shadow of the player he was for us last season. A little like how Gerrard isn't performing well enough for Liverpool but never seems to be dropped.
How does Hammond start over Crofts?
Then Bruno... Oozes class, can play killed cross field passes, crosses well and can certainly hit it. Then gets wrong footed by a second rate, second tier, run of the mill winger. The man is awesome going forward but gets caught out a little too much at times. My feeling is he'd make a better wing-back than full-back. But I'm not in any way suggesting that he should be dropped, he is one of four players that I believe are currently too good for us. The other three being Kooch, (I still can't spell his name.) Bridge and Buckley.
Buckley being the best player I've ever seen play for the Albion and I firmly believe him to be the second best player in the Championship behind Zaha. (Just being honest.)

Could we maybe practice penalties in training?

I do like the passing style of football that we have played for some of the season but it does beg the question: What is the point if there is no end product?
I like the fact that for half an hour in a match our movement is fluid and we look like world beaters but we seem to have no other options. No plan B. To get out of this division we need to have the capacity on occasion to 'win ugly'.
For the majority I'd like to see us play our passing game, at times a little faster than walking pace where we can exploit defences before they have the chance to organise and mark up while we are looking pretty playing twenty passes across our back four.
I do understand and am in full support of the style of play that Gus has brought to our club but I am growing more concerned that maybe he has reached his peak and does not have the tactical ability to take us any further than the upper-middle of this division. Please, please, please, prove me wrong.
The excuses don't wash with me any more Mr Poyet, the blame is yours for the taking. The players are who you have signed, but I feel it is the tactics that are often wrong or lacking.
This squad of players is good enough to get us promoted. I have no doubt about that.
Just a thought...

........................Kooch.........................
Bruno.......Greer...........El-Abd......Bridge
...............Hammond.....Crofts...............
Buckley.....................................Orlandi
...............Agdestein......CMS.................

Bring back JFC before he gets the skill coached out of him, playing lump-ball on bobbly pitches is hardly likely to improve one to our clubs key future assets. With JFC, Lua Lua and Hoskins on the bench we would possibly have a chance to turn matches around in the last twenty minutes.

The feeling of being 2-0 up at home to Bristol City and thinking we may need a third, is simply not right.

Today was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

With the exception of Zaha, Murray, Jedanek and today Bolasie (Who we laughed about when they signed him) our team on paper looks a lot better than that of the pikeys.
Dunk was silly and unfortunate, possibly not 100% match fit or maybe just a crap touch and worse desperate follow up tackle but I’m not going to make excuses, that's Gus's job. It was a red and an early shower for Lewis but the bigger question for me was, why is there no center back cover on the bench?
I clung onto the idea that maybe Barnes would come good with all my heart, maybe CMS would hit the target or Bruno would smack in a 25 yarder but as soon as I saw the ref raise the card to the sky my head knew the result was inevitable, the question was how many.
Embaressed (Again) by a player deemed unworthy to wear the stripes and pushed out the door to our rivals on a free by our great leader in his infinite wisdom. One hell of a serious lack of judgement on that call.
When the third went in I lost all hope and felt disappointed and angry.
I know a lot of people will point the finger one way or another, but the fact is today we were beaten by a better organised team.
I feel somewhat sorry for Gordon Greer, having to play with the makeshift defence and a little sorry for Kooch, conceding three, two as a result of somewhat soft penalty decisions. (The first was not a penalty, maybe the second was, at the time I felt it wasn't but I was having 'angry time')
In all honesty we were shit today.

My opinion is that we've made little to no progress on the pitch over the last year despite having superior players. I am 100% behind the team and the club is in my blood but I'm beginning to think maybe Mr Poyet needs to be answerable for some of our shortfalls instead of dodging the blame and over playing the 'mad genius' role that he does so well with his charm and charisma.
With the players we have I believe we should be looking for a minimum of a top six finish, either that or another manager that could turn our players into a team worthy of competing for the championship.

Palace aren't good enough to go up this season, but today they made us look pretty stupid.

Seems my 'writers block' may well be passing, for that I thank you, shame it took a defeat from the filth to fix me.

If you actually read this, I tip my cap to you.
Feel free to criticize, like I said, this is only my opinion and I'm sure when we win five on the bounce again this will all seem very silly and be a long forgotten memory.

Onward and upward.

Seagulls.

agree with a lot of that ,we have also made some serious mistakes at management level........letting murray go ( yeah blah ,blah, i know but a definite cock up of seemingly biblical proportion) ,
making vicente stay, selling elph , couldn't agree more about the naivety both tactically and mentally ........
.the games i saw in person this year i couldn't believe how shyte we were....
.admittedly bruno and cms were out but we were supposed to have depth .......
yesterday was the icing on the cake and a stark indicator of the depth of our squad..........and once again our failure to put chances away......early dismissal didn't help....he may have scored two o.g's if he'd stayed on ....who knows..?
if mr poyet could see himself clear to some sort of explanation as to why he is so reluctant to give dobbie a run in the team....where is lopez(another expensive flop ??) unless he is playing some sort of mind game with TB to leave him in no doubt that we still need cash for players.

i don't know the answers, i am a builder not a football manager........yesterday was en epic failure and underlined a few of the things that are wrong......there is so much right with the club and we are definitely moving in the right direction but we seemed to only have one decent set of nuts between us yesterday...(bridcutt) getting stuffed by palace two seasons on the trott sucks , hard.

we don't do play offs this season without getting all our current "stars" fit and playing ,failing that , get rid and and three or four new ones in ........someone who can score regularly , midfield general , quality lb if bridge is now stuffed and a premiership standard cb to give greer a boost........dunk clearly not ready yet.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Ok, categorically was the incorrect choice of word. Based on the fact that I don't believe your squad has the necessary strength in depth, should Murray or Bolasie get an extended injury, I reckon your chances of going up are slim. Added to this, I think your head of steam has been built up at the wrong stage of the season.

I'm also taking for granted the fact that Zaha will not be at Palace come February 1st 2013.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I'm not denying that Palace's best XI wouldn't have a fairly decent shot at hanging around the top six, but there is still a long way to go in the season and I don't believe you have the re-inforcements to back you up.

Fair comment. I can't see us selling Wilf in January so I'm not worried about that. I do agree that we might not have the strength of depth in the squad, although we still have Johnny Williams to come back from injury. Our first XI is without doubt good enough to win the whole thing. Injuries to Zaha, Bolasie, Jedinak or Murray would be catastrophic though.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Sadly have to agree with some parts of the scripture to date but there is a long way to go and the full December/January results will show exactly where we stand along with the transfer window activity.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I think as long as palace keep their attacking players fit they will definitely be there at the finish.

Brighton, gus in particular, needs to find a striker in January or kiss goodbye to any hopes of promotion this year. The defence is fine, not invicible (Greer poor) but playing cms and Barnes week in week out will be our undoing and will serve no other purpose other than to prove time and again, they're not good enough.
A fine effort from the op but I think he is misguided regarding bridcutt. He is quality and gets through so much good work per game, that appears to go unnoticed.

I don't honestly believe much else needs attention in order to get out of this division. Look at palace, they have options on BOTH wings and their manager isn't afraid to play BOTH wingers at one time. Sadly Poyet tries to be too defensive and plays Barnes in some sort of attacking defensive role which doesn't work at all.
Palace looked as though they were very solid as an attacking unit and we should take a leaf from their book here and play two wingers and two up front.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Chin-up!

Palace fan, probably got it spot on.

Chin-up!

Half the problem here is that our 'transient' fans will only be content with reaching the Premiership promised land. For the rest the Championship is an utter delight and a slow burn approach to improving the team, manager and infrastructure of the club a breath of fresh air after our recent troubles. The transience will continue, people moving in and out of Brighton has increased over recent years but newcomers will embrace the club so I think our support will remain steady and probably increase further especially as we flirt with the play-offs. The club is setting itself up for long term Premiership football make no mistake without the burden of increasing debt and I for one would prefer a slow sustainable rise in fortunes. Full credit to Palace, no-one saw it coming but I think it will be a champagne year so make the most of it! To the OP, yep a bit over dramatic, it is after all a game of football but losing to Palace is never pleasant, get over it and cheer the team on as the play-offs are a very realistic proposition. The only thing for you essexeagles to get over is bad spelling, don't let if bother you, some of the most creative writers of modern times couldn't spell for shite. It's whats in the head and heart that matters not the education that befell you.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Sorry, but you lost me with this.
How do we know if we like your views or not until we've read it?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As I said, you have certainly done well to attract a good fan base in terms of numbers. Personally, I suspect it is a transient one. But time will tell.

You think the club went out to the four corners of Sussex and campaigned solidly for people to change their ways and start supporting the Albion? In truth the fans were already there. Having 20,000 plus season ticket holders from Day 1 is testament to that.

I wouldn't dare suggest Palace are a small club although being top of the division and averaging less fans than Charlton would be a concern. Pompey last season got the same attendances as you're getting now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here