NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’ve got a match ticket for that game, I didn’t go but someone gave it to me back then.
0FD5A136-5D48-409C-ABC7-41F099F40957.jpeg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Once a glory hunter always a glory hunter :lolol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I so wish I could remember. I've spent the last half hour or so looking up the schoolboy internationals from the 60's, but none bring back any memories. I'm convinced I went to one and it would have been around the mid 60's when I was 10 years old.
Other than that, 1972 League Cup Final between Stoke & Chelsea. I picked up tickets from the Football League programme inside the Albion match day programme.
HOW MANY GAMES? Just looked it up and Stoke played Man Utd in the 4th round that went to three games and West Ham in the semis that went to four games. They also played 3 replays in the FA Cup losing in the semi final. But get this, there was a third place play-off in the FA Cup, I never knew that. In total in the 71/72 season Stoke played 71 games. Finished 17th but qualified for the UEFA Cup with the Wembley win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1981 (ish) Eng v Scotchland schoolboy international.
Blonde haired lad from Villa played, Shaw?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I so wish I could remember. I've spent the last half hour or so looking up the schoolboy internationals from the 60's, but none bring back any memories. I'm convinced I went to one and it would have been around the mid 60's when I was 10 years old.
Other than that, 1972 League Cup Final between Stoke & Chelsea. I picked up tickets from the Football League programme inside the Albion match day programme.
HOW MANY GAMES? Just looked it up and Stoke played Man Utd in the 4th round that went to three games and West Ham in the semis that went to four games. They also played 3 replays in the FA Cup losing in the semi final. But get this, there was a third place play-off in the FA Cup, I never knew that. In total in the 71/72 season Stoke played 71 games. Finished 17th but qualified for the UEFA Cup with the Wembley win.
I'm the same. I can't remember my first Brighton game, but I know it was early 1966. However I was only 8, I didn't think it was anything special (on a par with a trip to the cinema) and I've been to hundreds since then, so I can excuse myself for not remembering. But I've only seen about a dozen or so England games so you'd think I'd have an idea who I saw and when. Nope, complete blank. It was when I was at secondary school (the school used to run trips) so it was after summer 1968, and both Charlton brothers were playing, so it was before summer 1970 - and that's all I can tell you.

And I also went to the 1972 Chelsea v Stoke League Cup final - as a Chelsea fan! (My last game as a Chelsea supporter, and even then I remember wishing it was Brighton).

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
21 April 1970

Bobby Charlton's 100th cap.

England 3-1 (Peters, Hurst, Charlton)), Northern Ireland 1 (Best)

I was 11, I can remember the atmosphere - Bobby Charlton tapped in England's third

But I really remember it for George Best - scored and was almost unplayable on a typical Wembley mudbath.
Ran Nobby Styles and Emlyn Hughes ragged. See attached at 1:46 - a player

Mullers was playing in that one.

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/235841/

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm the same. I can't remember my first Brighton game, but I know it was early 1966. However I was only 8, I didn't think it was anything special (on a par with a trip to the cinema) and I've been to hundreds since then, so I can excuse myself for not remembering. But I've only seen about a dozen or so England games so you'd think I'd have an idea who I saw and when. Nope, complete blank. It was when I was at secondary school (the school used to run trips) so it was after summer 1968, and both Charlton brothers were playing, so it was before summer 1970 - and that's all I can tell you.

And I also went to the 1972 Chelsea v Stoke League Cup final - as a Chelsea fan! (My last game as a Chelsea supporter, and even then I remember wishing it was Brighton).
Are you sure it was for a Full International if it was the school who ran it? Mine was for the schoolboys internationals and the teams were both school kids aged around 15.
Chelsea Stoke, I was in the Chelsea end! I was 17 and went by train. Stupidly wore a scarf of the wrong colours, it was just a scarf to me, and had it nicked by Chelsea fans. Strangly I remember telling a copper whose reply was "3'o'clock son". So many things you forget in old age but some things stay with me forever.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not this Sunday, actually 45 years ago to the day today- England 1 Brazil 1

Funnily enough, my first England game at Wembley was also a 1-1 draw between England and Brazil, but NOT that one!

this one.
england 1 brazil 1 1987

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I was on a school trip early to mid 60s to England schoolboys Vs Scotland schoolboys.... Could that be it ?

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Does anyone know (without googling it) why my first, Wembley, England international experience in the late seventies was on two successive evenings?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Does anyone know (without googling it) why my first, Wembley, England international experience in the late seventies was on two successive evenings?
Was the first game postponed because of fog and played on the following evening?

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Was the first game postponed because of fog and played on the following evening?
Yup, against Bulgaria. Was postponed as we walked up Wembley way. It was held the next night. Funny how so many aspects of the modern age would just never allow an international to be postponed and played the following night. Life is getting more complicated.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was on a school trip early to mid 60s to England schoolboys Vs Scotland schoolboys.... Could that be it ?
Yes, that's it. But these games took place every year so not sure which year I went. I wonder was it Primary School or Secondary School. I started the latter in 1966 but reckon it would have been Primary School kids aged around 10.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
1981 (ish) Eng v Scotchland schoolboy international.
Blonde haired lad from Villa played, Shaw?
Gary Shaw was banging them in for Villa's first team by then? You might be older than you think!

My first visit was a schoolboys international v Holland - I reckon it was 82 or 83.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here