Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My council now recycles:

glass bottles and jars and states that this is compulsory for households to do so!

used engine oil,

aerosols,

clothing, shoes and textiles,

plastic bottles,

cardboard,

food, tins, drink cans, and tin foil,

paper, this is also compulsory,

household and car batteries,

and NEW this week

milk and fruit juice cartons (TETRA)

and margarine containers, ice cream, yogurt pots etc

there is nowt now to put in me bin bag

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As long as they give you the "pots" to put them in then its a good idea surely?

Bin bag? Egg shells and potato peelings!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
your council may claim to recycle all that, but apparently it often ends up getting dumped in landfill as the infrastructre isnt in place to absorb it or the system defaults to "dump" if a contaminant is found in one group.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Can I send you some of my rubbish then, the workshy bin monkeys in Leeds are still on strike ..:wanker:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is an odd system. I live in Richmond-upon-Thames and we recycle food waste. Some good friends live moments way, in Hammersmith and Fulham and are not required to recycle food waste.

I wish my neighbours would abide by the requests and recycle foodwaste. Quite happy to fill their black bin liners with old food and then leave them on the floor for the rats. :angry:

I have tried to tell them, but they are not fully equipped in the English language to understand the ramifications of their actions!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It is an odd system. I live in Richmond-upon-Thames and we recycle food waste. Some good friends live moments way, in Hammersmith and Fulham and are not required to recycle food waste.

I wish my neighbours would abide by the requests and recycle foodwaste. Quite happy to fill their black bin liners with old food and then leave them on the floor for the rats. :angry:

I have tried to tell them, but they are not fully equipped in the English language to understand the ramifications of their actions!

How do you mean recycle food waste? Do you have separate bags? We try and compost as much as we can here...saves on what goes in the bin.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How do you mean recycle food waste? Do you have separate bags? We try and compost as much as we can here...saves on what goes in the bin.

We get given a council bin. We don't have a garden (or it is concrete) so it would just go in the regular waste.

Two of my flatmates are exceedingly bad at recycling. I regularly go through our bins and take out tin/aliminium/glass/food waste etc. :blush:

I am not sure what happens to it from there on in, but I am trusting thew borough to do something useful with it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We get given a council bin. We don't have a garden (or it is concrete) so it would just go in the regular waste.

Two of my flatmates are exceedingly bad at recycling. I regularly go through our bins and take out tin/aliminium/glass/food waste etc. :blush:

I see - thats good then. I've not heard of that before - the council bin for food scraps that is, I have indeed heard of "bad" recyclers, there was some "training" required in this house too!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I see - thats good then. I've not heard of that before - the council bin for food scraps that is, I have indeed heard of "bad" recyclers, there was some "training" required in this house too!

I just hope they put it to good use. You hear plenty of stories of non-recycling of recyclable materials.

I am not very good at 'training', so pursue a more subtle and alternative method. :eek:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I just hope they put it to good use. You hear plenty of stories of non-recycling of recyclable materials.

I am not very good at 'training', so pursue a more subtle and alternative method. :eek:

I heard that here too...but all I can do is reuse and compost as much as possible myself and hope that the bits I recycle do actually get recycled. Its better than simply tossing it in the bin and knowing it will fill a land fill site.

Training involved clearing ones throat very loudly when persons head toward the bin with something recylable. They get the hint :blush: although little dude recyles all sorts - he didn't want a few toys the other day so they went in there too...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:lolol:

I talked my parents into composting and they love it. In fact, my father is now garden obsessed since he has so much compost.

I also convinced them into getting a couple of water butts. They are directly linked to the guttering and all water runs into them, until they are full. They have a water meter and it makes sense to use grey water for the garden, as opposed to 'drinking water'. I cant's believe we (as a nation) still wash our cars and flush our dunnies with eau potable..!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'd love to go the grey water recycling route but just don't have enough money to get it installed yet...We have 1 water butt, its great for the garden - ran dry a few times this late summer though, so we're adding another over winter... veg wasn't so great towards the end really as it was so dry...

All new houses and many renovations in Australia have to sink massive tanks under their lawns / driveways to take grey water - fantastic idea to be honest! As you allude - why flush your loo with drinking water - what a waste!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It doesn't cost a lot to install (I think). In fact, I am pretty sure you could do it yourself easily.

Just get a saw and cut a section of your down pipe off. Add the 'special piece' and voila. I don't know how much that special piece costs, but I can find out from the folks. I am convinced it is no more than £30.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hmm I though to flush your loos, prime your heaters and possibly wash your clothes with grey water you needed a filter, tank and pumping system? Or am I wrong?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Oh right, I see what you mean. :blush:

They are just basic grey water into the water butts from the guttering thus far. I can see how it would get expensive beyond that. Truly remarkable how quickly a water butt will fill.

I went to the Oval a few times this season and they serve beer in 'organic' cups, not plastic per se. Hopefully that will catch on. Although I did worry that I would lose my grog through the bottom, if I didn't drink quickly enough.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its all good anyhow but the cost is still a little prohibitive to start with. I'd love to be self sufficient but yet still like have creature comforts. ie I don't want to hand my tele in but I'd like to try and have solar hot water, and possibly something to reduce my electricity draw from the grid (personal wind farm :lol: ) etc. I know our motor racing isn't particularly eco-friendly so I do as much as possible at home to offset, but with a bit of outlay I'm sure I can do more....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here