Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My brother – Dave “veggie postie” Jones – rest in peace

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Depression is, as you say, a very poorly understood condition. Horrible. Hope time helps you live with it.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Trevor

Wonderful words.
Whilst we had lost contact with Dave over recent years, I do fondly remember the many games we all attended together. When we heard the news, as a family we spent some time remembering some of the hilarious things Dave did during the 'troubles', however we had forgotten the dead seagull incident. We will always be grateful to Dave for letting our eldest stay with him whilst doing his work experience in Brighton.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
When Veggie stopped going to games after all he did in the "Gory" years, we (Straw's Tours) thought something was wrong. He was at every game, home and away, and it only seems like yesterday we were racing him back in our car, from some god-forsaken northern outpost. Depression is one of those hidden nasties that you forget about until someone you know is diagnosed with it.
Veggie was a real laugh and real Albion fan legend. RIP Veggie.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Some of you may have known my brother, Dave “veggie postie” Jones, either personally, or at least by sight. He certainly put himself about a bit during the “gory” years. Sadly, Dave took his own life recently. He suffered from that terrible and much misunderstood condition, depression.

He was a committed, passionate Albion fan from the mid-1970s until 2005 when he began the slow descent which culminated in his suicide.

He started watching the Albion regularly in the 1975-76 season (being a glory seeker) and we went to hundreds of games together, home and away, from that time until he stopped going at the end of the 2004-05 season. He was also a member of the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida collective, kit sponsors most notably of Kurt Nogan and Kerry Mayo. Kerry was somewhat bemused to be presented with a copy of the classic Iron Butterfly album by my brother in return for the signed shirt one season. Several of us have one of the turnstile manufacturer nameplates from the Goldstone Ground thanks to his visit to the ground the night before the Doncaster game.

Whilst in no way a leader of the protests against the Archer regime between 1995 and 1997, he was very much an activist. He can be seen in several photos in Paul Hayward’s and Stuart Weir’s excellent account of that time “More Than 90 Minutes”, most notably on p52; he is the guy in the Albion baseball cap. He was also one of the first to cross the pitch into the West Stand on that magnificent night when Bellotti was put to flight. A lesser known exploit was sending Paul Scally a dead seagull as a protest about the ground sharing arrangement.

It was sad that he chose never to watch the Albion play at Falmer and will now never have the chance, although I am sure he would have found the club’s move to being a business rather than a football club profoundly disappointing. I am equally certain he would have relished the full and frank exchange of view about the current situation in posts on here, snorting with derision at those he disagreed with.

From the Cup Final to Halifax at “home” in Gillingham he was there and was one of many who fought so hard to keep this club alive. Farewell, little brother. I hope you have found some peace at last.

Sincere condolences mate, depression, what a horrible burden.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
A very nice tribute and it nice that you recounted the good times which is how you need to remember him rather than the dark times.
Condolences to all the family RIP Dave.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Sad news. RIP pal

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A great tribute. Condolences from HT.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Some of you may have known my brother, Dave “veggie postie” Jones, either personally, or at least by sight. He certainly put himself about a bit during the “gory” years. Sadly, Dave took his own life recently. He suffered from that terrible and much misunderstood condition, depression.

He was a committed, passionate Albion fan from the mid-1970s until 2005 when he began the slow descent which culminated in his suicide.

He started watching the Albion regularly in the 1975-76 season (being a glory seeker) and we went to hundreds of games together, home and away, from that time until he stopped going at the end of the 2004-05 season. He was also a member of the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida collective, kit sponsors most notably of Kurt Nogan and Kerry Mayo. Kerry was somewhat bemused to be presented with a copy of the classic Iron Butterfly album by my brother in return for the signed shirt one season. Several of us have one of the turnstile manufacturer nameplates from the Goldstone Ground thanks to his visit to the ground the night before the Doncaster game.

Whilst in no way a leader of the protests against the Archer regime between 1995 and 1997, he was very much an activist. He can be seen in several photos in Paul Hayward’s and Stuart Weir’s excellent account of that time “More Than 90 Minutes”, most notably on p52; he is the guy in the Albion baseball cap. He was also one of the first to cross the pitch into the West Stand on that magnificent night when Bellotti was put to flight. A lesser known exploit was sending Paul Scally a dead seagull as a protest about the ground sharing arrangement.

It was sad that he chose never to watch the Albion play at Falmer and will now never have the chance, although I am sure he would have found the club’s move to being a business rather than a football club profoundly disappointing. I am equally certain he would have relished the full and frank exchange of view about the current situation in posts on here, snorting with derision at those he disagreed with.

From the Cup Final to Halifax at “home” in Gillingham he was there and was one of many who fought so hard to keep this club alive. Farewell, little brother. I hope you have found some peace at last.

RIP Dave

A lovely tribute to your brother.

Be strong, and remember the good times.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sadly a couple of PMs confirmed I know the OP. I've seen the photos of that day in the gory years and they did themselves as proud as the tribute in post #1.

Stay strong my friend. You know where I am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here