Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mwepu at right wing back?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
On a related note, I can see us playing a 433 (or 4321) formation a fair bit next season, with Biss and Mwepu probably the first picks given their dynamism, and Moder/Gross/Alzate/Lallana as other options.
Back four of Veltman, Webster, Dunk and March/Cucurella/Burn, especially when Lamptey isn't available.
Front three shared between Maupay, Welbeck, Trossard, Lallana, Gross, MacAllister and AN Other.

Most of the top sides have moved to a 4-2-3-1 formation to allow the fullbacks to be full of pace and involved in a team attack. Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd and England all played this way.

The 2 of Bissouma and Moder are intended to hold up the opposition to allow the 3 to get back and support. Mwepu could be the central player in the 3 who would drop into a midfield spot when required and allowed to push up with protection. The difficulty we will have is who operates as the wider players in the 3, we have got a wealth of ability in central midfield so may do better in a similar set up to under Potter in the 2019/2020 season with a 4-2-2-2

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m not convinced that Mwepu is answer on the right side. But we are playing a back 4 quite a lot so Lamptey & Veltman can handle the burden. However, when Veltman has to be played at centre back, we look short on the right.

In terms of left backs/left wing backs we have:
Cucu
March
Burn

That’s serving us really really well, especially as Cucu can seemingly hold his brilliant form whilst playing almost every game.

But on the right, I think we’re a bit short still with:
Lamptey (GP & club want to limit his minutes through his development period to avoid any more serious injuries).
Veltman

The club first signed Karbo and then almost got the brilliant Tino Livramento until Chelsea whacked an incompatible ‘buy back’ clause on and put us off. I think we want a third right sided defender but maybe something a little different?

Maybe this is something we could address this window?

I have scouted this guy from Prague, I hope Ashworth is reading:
https://youtu.be/XSkEuVOdH9s

We should also get this guy from the other Prague:
https://youtu.be/ByLTDviKMdM

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I see the preferred back 4 being Lamptey, Webster, Dunk, Cucurella with Veltman the first choice to replace any of the initial 3 players and Burn capable of replacing Cucurella or a CB once Veltman is already utilised. March & Duffy can also play there if required but with so many CB's in the academy I'd be shocked if we signed another defender during this window without moving Lamptey on and he isn't ready to become the most expensive RB in premier league history yet so no need to sell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here